JohnMcMahon

Preacher the movie? Televangelism!

It's gonna be so god damn fucking awesome that you will need those two weeks to straighten your hair back out

If they fuck up Herr Starr though, I won't forgive them.

I'm being pessimistic. I know. But I'm very concerned how they're gonna do this since the last time a TV show I watched got the ability to diverge significantly from the Source Material it was Season 5 of Game of Thrones and well.....that was awful.

My issue is Quincannon. I'd have to go back and read the original story but it was right around there where the series started jumping the shark, I thought.

My issue is Quincannon. I'd have to go back and read the original story but it was right around there where the series started jumping the shark, I thought.

Well mostly it just felt like Ennis couldn't think of a good antagonist so he made a discount Starr who fucks meat.

I mean it wasn't bad, even if the heel turn reveal of the German guy not being what he seemed felt kinda pointless. I did like to see Jesse's mom again but on the other hand, Quincannon never really did anything beyond soliciting the Klan, who were completely useless to the proceedings.

Well that wasn't too bad. Sticks close enough to the comics to not put the purists out. Seems to be keeping to the same general story with quite a few flashes of things to come. The casting of Cassidy is great, and Jesse looks the part. The bar room fight scene was almost Daredevil standard, I'm hopeful that this is going to be a lot better than expected. It's already way better than Lucifer (not that that was going to be hard!)

I liked it! I'm on board. I was surprised by just how much they changed stuff, but it all worked, and it was clear throughout why they'd picked up the license. It's the amount of fealty and newness that I like to see in an adaptation. It wasn't the what-the-christ-seriously-why-are-you-even of Lucifer or the tone-deaf-but-I-guess-kind-of-earnest-toothless-cover-band of Constantine.

Speaking of which, it took me a while to realise that was the same Lucy Griffiths from the Constantine pilot. Here's hoping she makes it as far as episode two! It's strange to think how the main problem back then was how dull she seemed - here she was just effortlessly interesting.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

-you-know-who is adorable but he needs more drool (then again his you-know-what looks FAR more like a you-know-what than in any of Dillon's drawings, so there's that)

-his dad's surprisingly cuddly as well

-Jesse is Karl Urban

-Tulip is Tank Girl

-Tulip is apparently played by the BEARER OF THE CURSE. SEEK SOULS woman from Dark Souls 2 and that is inconceivable to me

-TULIP IS TANK GIRL

-a brief moment of potential kinkphobia of the typical Ennis variety, but in hindsight I have no idea what the fuck that bit actually was

-video pirates who encode in excellent quality and then cut off the end credits should all be paper-cut to death

-the punchlines were all way too telegraphed but still somehow worked

-I realise it's ambiguous what I meant by 'punchline' there but pretty much any example you can think of should fit that

-bit too much violence, treated with a level of glibness that's honestly quite hard to gauge or parse at this point

-I don't envy the writers having to figure out how to make Jesse-with-the-voice not be a kinder, gentler Kilgrave

-video pirates who encode in excellent quality and then cut off the end credits should all be paper-cut to death

you are a cruel cruel man gwilym.

I liked the pilot it was good.

Y'all figure the vampire hunters on the airplane were supposed to be agents of the grail?

Hard to tell how things have changed from just the pilot. It isn't by any means a comic to change, but so far the biggest change I think is that

Jesse's dad was a preacher. And Jesse becomes a Preacher out a sense of duty.

He contemplates leaving, but decides to stick around.

Overall he so far come across as jaded, rather than having a beef with god.

A few minor changes

Jesse and Tulip appear to be childhood friends, and she has an uncle that Jesse is acquainted with.

The Quincannon meatpacking business is in Jesse's hometown.

Cassidy doesn't have the fucked up eyes, I guess.

Hard to tell how things have changed from just the pilot. It isn't by any means a comic to change, but so far the biggest change I think is that

Jesse's dad was a preacher. And Jesse becomes a Preacher out a sense of duty.

He contemplates leaving, but decides to stick around.

Overall he so far come across as jaded, rather than having a beef with god.

A few minor changes

Jesse and Tulip appear to be childhood friends, and she has an uncle that Jesse is acquainted with.

The Quincannon meatpacking business is in Jesse's hometown.

Cassidy doesn't have the fucked up eyes, I guess.

Oh great so this means that basically the entire Angelville storyline is now impossible.

And did they change Jesse's dad to be a Preacher to not cause butthurt to people if he was a veteran ? I mean I guess it could be that if he was a Vietnam vet in this show's timeline he'd be old as hell by the time he had a kid but.....this does feel rather wrong.

Like the other stuff, eh I can see myself not minding that but this does raise real big warning signs that they're gonna basically wallpaper over the part of the original I liked the most and which I would have loved to see expanded on.

I'm not trying to sound like a butthurt fan because I've criticised the series for a lot of things over the years but.....I wanna see a country hick slit open a fish to fuck it in the belly and an old woman burning alive in her house after she had her grandson's girlfriend shot in the head in front of him for his own good. Is that too much to ask ?

• Upvote 1

Well

John Custer still gets murdered infront of Jesse, so you never know.

Another thing, but the church is empty when Genesis merges with Custer, and it doesn't get blowed up.

I'm planning on watching this tonight. It's been long enough since I read Preacher to not remember everything & there's plenty I'm fine with losing/changing. I'm hoping it's fun.

So apparently

the saint of killers

is the 2nd episode, which isn't out until next sunday, played by Graham McTavish. Love the actor, and his beard, but interesting casting, that.

JS61165654.png

That was alright, plenty there to work with but Jesse's haircut and Cassidy's accent have got to go.

Honestly can't understand much of what Cas is saying. Doesn't help that we had the volume sort of low on account of I got a sleeping behbeh.

I am still on the fence about this. It has been soooo long since I read the rag that I don't really recall all the finer points so I am treating the show as it's own entity.

I'd have expected someone with longer hair and no beard but then

The Saint is kind of a mess as far as storytelling is concerned, being overpowered to the point where it's just ludicrous. He kills the Devil and God, and nothing can apparently stop, hurt, or make him missfire. When you look back at that, it makes for kind of a boring character.

i always understood the comic as kind of a big cynical joke, where the saint is the punchline and not as an ambitious tale per se. so in that sense the saint being a terrible plot device is kinda the point.