JohnMcMahon

Preacher the movie? Televangelism!

Not exactly the best news, given that I only just suffered through what might be the worst film I've seen since Transformers 2 and it happens to have been directed by Caruso. People, do not go to see I Am Number Four!

Garth Ennis must be happy with the constant changing of producers and formats. He gets a kickback each time, right?

Not exactly the best news, given that I only just suffered through what might be the worst film I've seen since Transformers 2 and it happens to have been directed by Caruso. People, do not go to see I Am Number Four!

Oh, no. Really? I hadn't heard of him and had planned to look him up but got distracted by the stuff in Wisconsin and the earthquake in New Zealand.

Oh, no. Really? I hadn't heard of him and had planned to look him up but got distracted by the stuff in Wisconsin and the earthquake in New Zealand.

He's done some incredibly shit films. Eagle Eye and Taking Lives are two more that spring to mind.

Curse your profundity, Abhi!

D.J. Caruso Doesn’t Understand PREACHER; Drops Names for Major Characters

by Matt Goldberg Posted:March 17th, 2011

Throughout the day, movie news sites have been picking up a quote from director D.J. Caruso (I Am Number Four) about various actors he sees for major characters in his adaptation of Preacher. But this is just Caruso dropping names. While I’m sure actors have been approaching him, the fact that he wants Chris Pine for Jesse Custer or that Shia LaBeouf wants to play Arseface (and I assume Caruso is joking when he says Alex Pettyfer is interested in The Saint of Killers), those are just empty conversations. There are no serious negotiations going on and who knows if the scheduling would pan out. We’re so far away from casting at this point that a director dropping names of famous actors off the top of his head in the middle of an interview shouldn’t be newsworthy.

What is newsworthy is Caruso revelation that he doesn’t understand what makes Preacher work. Hit the jump for more.

Here’s what Caruso told CloneWebwhen asked about how he plans to approach Garth Ennis’ politically-incorrect, violent, and subversive graphic novels:

It is a crazy road trip and I think what’s amazing and what makes Sony so brave is they can see there’s a real universality to the story when you have good vs. evil. I think when you have these crazy characters, that are not necessarily politically correct, there’s something generally attractive to those characters and those elements. But at the end of the day it really is a story about good vs. evil and the decisions that you make. Whether the demons are going to win or whether the Genesis or the good inside of Jesse is going to be there. So I think there’s a great universality that makes the movie commercial but at the same time it’s one of those that will shock you.

Not wishing any ill to Mr. Caruso, I do hope there's one more spin on the revolving door to Preacher's director's chair. This has Frances Lawrence written all over it.

As the article mentions, it's just dropping names but the fact that the director thinks that a 20something babyfaced English model is ideal for the role of the Saint of Killers says a lot about his grasp of the material. I'm not a stickler for physical appearances in a movie adaptation having to match up to the original material's approach but in this case, the weatherbeaten weight-of-the-world look is essential for the Saint. And given how many great older actors there are who could nail this, it makes me think that DJ Caruso is doing exactly what the studios hired a hack like him for ie. tailoring the material to the PG-13 demographic. Pretty everyone up for the teenagers! Robert Pattinson as Cassidy!

As they say, what's most disturbing is that Caruso thinks this is a story about clearcut good vs. evil. Not to mention that the villain, ultimately, is God and not these 'demons' he mentions.

Anyhow, I guess there really was no way that a faithful Preacher adaptation could ever get made in a no-risk marketing-based blockbuster industry so none of this comes as any real surprise. No point getting too worked up over it.

Robert Pattinson as Cassidy!

Exceedingly excellent material for an ironic-insider tee-shirt?.

Lance Henrickson IS the SoK!

YES!!!!

And Peter Stormaire and Scott Glenn get honorable mention.

Third Lance Henrickson. Honorable mention goes to Powers Boothe.

Though, part of me says WWF's The Undertaker.

I don't know...can they even come close to touching on some of the things in that series? I doubt even HBO or Showtime could.

Also, any hope I had is killed at the slightest involvement by that overrated, talentless douchebag Seth Rogan.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how they can skate the (infinitely) fine line of humour there was in the thing, I just see some of the scenes in my head, and recoil at Hollywoody trying to do it. S. Rogan?. Not known for his subtlety is he?.

• Upvote 1

The rumors I have heard is that he is not planning to be in the actual show, just working to get it pushed. That is just what I read somewhere though.

I liked Rogen in Observe and Report but I'm not sure if he has the acting chops to do anything but his Seth Rogen shtick

Right, he's a comedian. but he's rich, so if he wants exec prod points, let him throw some money at the thing. can't hurt.

That is not surprising. They could never get away with a lot of the stuff in the comic on basic cable TV.