JohnMcMahon

Preacher the movie? Televangelism!

I would never have thought of that casting for Cassidy, but I'm pretty familiar with him from Brit/North soap Emmerdale and yes, I can see that. He can definitely play a superficially charming, weasely little shit.

He seems quite nice in interviews as well, so good luck to the lad.

Really ? The series ended fifteen years ago ! And it was never really that good to begin with. Mostly because it ignored all possibly interesting things that could be done with the supernatural (something Ennis became very good at when he wrote, well, Hellblazer) and instead focused on Custer being a prick who fucked around with hillbillies and never really got off his ass to look for God in the first place and then decided to try and cover his rear by writing a two page bloody letter about how he could "never find him, not in X lifetimes".

Because admitting you totally screwed up the premise of your series in the finale, that makes it a-Ok.

And good lord was the Saint just the dumbest most overpowered and boring nonsense ever. Yep, he's so badass he can literally kill God and there is literally nothing in the entire fucking afterlife/universe which can do anything to him, despite the Devil beatong the ever loving shit out of the bastard the moment he stepped into hell.

Seriously the Saint has not aged well at all and he feels like a ten year old came up with him.

If this project is gonna happen and is gonna be any good they'll have to actually bother to do something interesting with the supernatural instead of "Cassidy's a vampire so he can drink a lot and the Saint of Killer can kill God in a single shot."

I'd agree that Preacher has not aged well. I was never the biggest fan of the book. I always found it very over-rated. It's an interesting premise that goes nowhere interesting. But, yeah, I'd say it has not held up in the least since it was published. I wonder how many people who read Preacher when it was being released have gone back to read the series? I think they'd be surprised how badly it's relevant as a comic book in 2015.

I don' know if I care so much about the supernatural elements, outside of the religious. But, yeah, the idea of a minister who loses his faith, and then finds out that he, literally, has to look for God, since God is gone....that's a damn good premise. What we got was a lot of immature humour, extreme violence, and mocking of "red necks".

Having finished reading Ennis' Where Monsters Dwell series, which started out a s a cool "warplanes fighting dinosaurs" plot and quickly devolved in to dick jokes....I wonder exactly what year Ennis is living in anyway. He's still using jokes about lesbians. Gee, they were pretty shocking in 1991, but in 2015, most people just think, "OK. She's a lesbian. What's the big deal? That's not shocking. Lesbians do exist". Outside of some Christian Right-Wingers, I'm not sure that anyone is shocked by the existence of lesbians in 2015.

That's a series Ennis wrote in 2015 too. I hate to think how dated most of that Ennis humour from the days of Preacher will seem to readers in 2015.

I'd agree that Preacher has not aged well. I was never the biggest fan of the book. I always found it very over-rated. It's an interesting premise that goes nowhere interesting. But, yeah, I'd say it has not held up in the least since it was published. I wonder how many people who read Preacher when it was being released have gone back to read the series? I think they'd be surprised how badly it's relevant as a comic book in 2015.

I don' know if I care so much about the supernatural elements, outside of the religious. But, yeah, the idea of a minister who loses his faith, and then finds out that he, literally, has to look for God, since God is gone....that's a damn good premise. What we got was a lot of immature humour, extreme violence, and mocking of "red necks".

Having finished reading Ennis' Where Monsters Dwell series, which started out a s a cool "warplanes fighting dinosaurs" plot and quickly devolved in to dick jokes....I wonder exactly what year Ennis is living in anyway. He's still using jokes about lesbians. Gee, they were pretty shocking in 1991, but in 2015, most people just think, "OK. She's a lesbian. What's the big deal? That's not shocking. Lesbians do exist". Outside of some Christian Right-Wingers, I'm not sure that anyone is shocked by the existence of lesbians in 2015.

That's a series Ennis wrote in 2015 too. I hate to think how dated most of that Ennis humour from the days of Preacher will seem to readers in 2015.

I've not read anything new from him in years so it's kinda sad to see he's still doing that. I remember people used to praise him in the 90's for being the comic book equivalent of Tarrantino.

Honestly my question is, why bother with Preacher ? The "franchise" has literally been dead for fifteen years with nary a single one shot since then.

Because it's an interesting story, with some decent characters, and with TV values and updates it could be as compelling as it was back in the day.

• Upvote 1

Also I hope they put a lesbian in there who at some point says "OMG I shagged a straight, do I win a prize".

It's the only way he will learn.

(I would say there are still plenty of people out there for whom the lesbian smirks are at the cutting edge of sexual diversity, by the way)

• Upvote 1

Also I hope they put a lesbian in there who at some point says "OMG I shagged a straight, do I win a prize".

It's the only way he will learn.

I'm not sure on the timeline but I think Garth got all of that out of his system during the various Kev minis he wrote.

I have not gone back to re-read Preacher but I do recall falling out of love with it after about 25 issues or so.

I'll give this a chance, might do something cool with it

You know? Fuck it, I hope it does well so I can sell my copies on eBay haha

Because it's an interesting story, with some decent characters, and with TV values and updates it could be as compelling as it was back in the day.

Not sure if "Let's look for god but first lemme beat up some rednecks oh no we ran out of time here lemme write a letter covering my ass" qualifies as interesting.

I mean, I was really interested about the entire concept of the L'Angelles family but Ennis did barely anything with it before redneck punchup and house burning finale.

I mean, watching Arseface get conned out of his money or Custer kick the shit out of a bunch of KKK guys who were a total joke despite an issue of build up, or seeing how messed up Cassidy really is, that's fine and shit but it's not what the actual series was supposed to be about.

Joseph Gilgun is probably the most down to earth, unpretentious "celebrity" you'll ever meet. His Cassidy is more action-man than the comic version but I think he'll wind up being the breakout star of the show. Although on a personal level as his celebrity grows he may want to be more careful about whom he buys his drugs from.

the preview made it look awful. i will watch the first one, but i'm dreading it.

If it didn't include the name I wouldn't have even picked what it was

'someone uses an Irish accent at one point' is not much of a touchstone

• Upvote 1

I mean on the one hand, it's been a decade and a half and then some since the original ended and it kind of is a product of it's times.

On the other hand this might mean they may not stick to it as rigorously and be allowed some creative freedom to more effectively use the supernatural setting to the fullest rather then what Ennis did. Because after a read of his run on Hellblazer I've concluded the man does not really do supernatural themes that well.

On the other other hand, you have Cassidy without his sunglasses ? Come on !

Also "intricate characters of Anville" ? The entire town got burned to a crisp in the first issue ! I hope this doesn't mean they'll be bumming around there for a whole season before getting to the Angelvile plot which if they drop then this thing has officially lost me.