Red

Money money money

Do you think "Constantine" will be a cash cow for Warner?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think "Constantine" will be a cash cow for Warner?

• Yes, they'll be swimming in dough. (Not that they aren't already)
    • No, it'll flop. (But hey, they can afford it)
    • My name is Tom. If it makes money, I'll steal it.

I honestly don't. Not because it's a terrible adaptation of a character that I'm fond of but because this type of film (hackneyed occult thriller) has a history of tanking.

I think it'll do fairily well in the cinema on the basis of the trailer and the multiple demographics catered for by Reeves, Weisz, Honsou and LeBeoueoeueoeuf, but that it won't be outstanding. Maybe get up to the number one slot for a week or two. Then it'll drop, but its subsequent release on DVD/video will do so well in rental and retail shops that a sequel is assured.

Then they can get on with mutilating Staring at the Wall. Probably they'll miss the point of the title and have Tennyson be somehow connected to the Shadow Dog just so they can have some English guy read out the relevant bit of Locksley Hall over the start of the trailer. Still, I'll get to see The Shadow Dog on the big screen and Mike Carey will be able to build a new patio (shortly after the script doctors go missing in mysterious circumstances).

Nope. A good film needs a good script, or a fucking huge budget toi ram a crappy script down moviegoer throats. It may well do $20 M on it's initial weekend, but there's no fucking way it's going to have any legs. Religious thrillers went the way of Y2K and Arnold's movie career.

Well I've been pretty upbeat about its money making chances all along but the negative first-reviewers have been worryingly consistant in their criticism of the Constantine character and Keanu's performance as same.

I'll stick with my gut instinct and say they'll get the franchise they want cause it's something a little different and it doesn't hurt to have Keanu involved (on that regard).

I also wonder how much in the way of product placement they're going to have. After product placements, the last Bond film only cost $22 Mil.

What product placements do we think will be involved? Coke? Colt? Marolbro? Are there any brands of Holy Water?

Lucky Strikes are Constantine's deathstick of choice, but I can't see them getting all hyped about a movie which features (however tangenitally) fag-induced lung cancer.

There ought to have been an option for "I think it will make its money back and some additional profit, but won't do especially well." I chose the Tom option as an alternative to the above option's lack.

I think it will get by and do sorta okay because of the large, moronic core action movie audience. They'll want to see all the stuff mentioned by that idiot who I quoted in some thread enthusiastically describing what was in the trailer. I'm talking about the not very bright male 15-24 demographic that wants to see shotgun shootings, brass knuckles, standard movie demons and wet clothes adhering to young white women's bodies, and are too dullwitted to care about inconsistent, cliched writing or poor characterization. They will drag along their girlfriends who will come only because Keanu Reeves is in it. Present as well in smaller numbers will be the hard core of Keanu fandom and the smaller yet Shia fandom. My guess is that it will do poorly beyond these groups. The critics probably won't love it, if the test audiences are anything to judge by. Whether it's #1 during any week is probably meaningless, because that will say as much about its competition as anything else, and this is the time of year most folks don't want to release anything that they think will do really well.

Weirdly, the negative first reviews bothered me somewhat, though I'm not sure why. I guess it's down to the fact that they'll never cancel Hellblazer if there's a major film franchise rattling alongside it.

And there's nothing wrong with shotgun shootings, brass knuckles or Hollywood monsters so long as they're not in this film.

Young women in clingy wet clothing are welcome anywhere.

Most of the negative reviews of Constanteen seem to dislike stuff that we like about John Constantine, so I was irked a bit.

I think it is too early to tell if it will make money, at the moment I think it is on a knife-edge between being a flop that because it stars Keanu will just make back it's money and being a moderate success that will sell well on DVD.

I really don't see it being a huge crowd-puller.

My parents won't understand it and will fall asleep. But they did that watching DVDs of Brazil, Blade Runner, Seven and Citizen Kane. So at least there's hope. My mom loves the Mr Bean movies and asked if he were in Constantine she would actually venture out of the house and see it.

Guest darkandlovely

Tough one to call. It could make some money but not enough for a sequel.

Judging by the trailer and the reviews, Keanu and his character seems like a real sour spot for some people. :mad:

i fear for this franchise - the early reviews make him sound like such a dic that he may attract a cult following from the totally wrong crowd - people who'd be better off reading Lobo, than Hellblazer.

Most of the negative reviews of Constanteen seem to dislike stuff that we like about John Constantine, so I was irked a bit

Hmmmmmmm...I was thinking along the same lines myself till I reread Dangerous Habits and noted the steps that Ennis took to portray John in a positive light.

It's kind of a mixed bag for me in general. I believe it'll do moderate success and it'll earn it's budget back through DVD sales.

But in all honesty, it definitely won't blow out the box office like LOTR or Spider-Man for a example, though anything is liable to happen and I believe it'll surprise some people. I didn't expect National Treasure to be up this long, but for some God unknown reason it's held up quite nicely.

As far as Constantine goes, I believe it'll do fair business in the theater, but it'll do good to great business in terms of VHS/DVD sales.

The film will probably make money in the long run but I think the majority of the income will be from the international market. It is exactly for this market that a star of Keanu's stature was chosen for the role. Let's face it Keanu is a marketable star worldwide and the average moviegoer in Singapore, Calcutta, Mexico City, etc will be more likely to see a film with Keanu than with a relative unknown like Paul Bettany. When those wonderful homemade painted movie posters are produced in places like Amman and Bangkok, it will be Keanu's distorted visage underneath however the title "Constantine" will be translated in the local language. These are the people who've never heard of the Hellblazer comic but are willing to spend a few hours in a cool movie house witnessing a film extravaganza with all sorts of cool special effects. Or they are the folks who will go down to the local outdoor market and get a bootleg dvd copy of the film the day after it opens in the US in which case will have little effect on the box office.

By the male aged 15-24 demographic. Everyone else isn't interested or has problems with it in certain contexts.

By the male aged 15-24 demographic. Other groups aren't interested or have problems with it in certain contexts.