JohnMcMahon

Wizard needs food, badly ?

WIZARD FIRES EDITOR IN CHIEF

According to various sources throughout the industry, Wizard Entertainment yesterday fired Senior Vice President/Editor in Chief Pat McCallum. The firing was, reprotedly, met with shock among the company's staff.

While not a founder of the original magazine, McCallum was one of the very few original Wizard staffers still working at the company who were there when the business was founded by Gareb Shamus in the early '90s. By mid to late 1996, according to insiders, the comics/pop culture magazine has been under McCallum’s control, along with the company’s other magazines and website. McCallum also wrote Shadow Reavers of Wizard’s Black Bull comics line.

As Newsarama has reported, this year has been one of change for Wizard, as two long-time Wizard Convention staffers, Stewart Morales - Director/Strategic Planning and Marketing for Wizard Conventions, Inc, and Gabe Fieramosco, Manager of Business Development for Wizard Conventions, Inc. were let go from the company after this year’s Chicago convention. Those firings followed a round of lay-offs in May that affected all departments.

[ More in link ]

Good.

Wizard has been one of the things badly wrong with the comics industry for a long time now. Any trouble it runs into is fine by me.

Agreed. To me Wizard has been always the E! of the comicbook world. Pretentious, butt-kissing, dull, empty, sell-outs going for the lowest dominator in quality of presentation and content.

So good. I have no love for them.