andy

Best Buy's Constantine Promo DVD

I was at the local Best Buy getting a copy of Nick Cave's latest for Hilde and I saw the Constantine promo cd. I took it to the register and it was just thrown in my bag. Nobody cared that I didn't purchase the Matrix DVD set for it. Honestly I could have probably just put it in my pocket and walked out with it.

Anyway it's about 20 minutes long and it shows most of what was shown at the San Diego Con in July plus a few extra scenes. There are many interviews with Keanu, Rachel, Shia, Dijmon and the director and the producers. They basically just give the basic plot and character outline. The comic itself is hardly mentioned except by Laren Donner who says how much much the tone of the comic has been retained in the film, so take that as you will. "It's based on a comic book but I don't want it to feel like a comic book movie" says Francis Lawrence who it sounds like has perhaps only skimmed through Dangerous Habits. Obviously everyone involved wants to sell the movie and it does seem to be aimed at the action market, although the actors seem to be saying it's some great theological work. So if you're in North America and brave enough to go into a Best Buy in December, try to pick up a free copy for curiousity's sake. Oh and Rachel Weisz looks bloody gorgeous.

hmmm....Unusual. I was at Best Buy today shopping for my girlfriend, and I didn't see it. Wasn't really looking either....

Amazingly, if they made "Hellblazer" into a movie it would have been a comic book based movie that doesn't feel like a comic book movie! Instead, they have actually made "Constantine" much closer to a comic book movie than a better adaptation of the "Hellblazer" comic would have been!

Plus, I really hate it when people make snide comments about comic books that way. You can almost feel them judging you if you read comic books.

"Great Theological work"..... :huh:

It's based on a comic book but I don't want it to feel like a comic book movie

i think the last time i heard something like that was for the 80's version of the punisher with dolph lungdren...man that movie sucked

I was at the local Best Buy getting a copy of Nick Cave's latest for Hilde and I saw the Constantine promo cd.  I took it to the register and it was just thrown in my bag.  Nobody cared that I didn't purchase the Matrix DVD set for it.  Honestly I could have probably just put it in my pocket and walked out with it.

To be fair, that's generally how most shop staff deal with promo items. So long as they get a couple for themselves, they don't care about who gets the rest.

Andy has (very) kindly said that he'll hook me up with a copy.

In the interim, ICV2 have this little piece on the give away -

Best Buy has begun distributing a Constantine movie preview disc with copies of the 10-disc Ultimate Matrix Collection and the Ultimate Matrix Collection Limited Edition. The preview disc is also available for $4.99 on the Best Buy Website.

The movie preview disc includes behind the scenes clips and the trailer. The trailer was also released online today.

The film, which stars Keanu Reeves and is based on the Vertigo title Hellblazer, is slated for release in February. DC believes the film has a close connection to the source material, which provides the potential to be a better stimulus to sales than the last movie based on DC Comics characters--Catwoman.

348605constantinepreviewmd.jpg

DC believes the film has a close connection to the source material, which provides the potential to be a better stimulus to sales than the last movie based on DC Comics characters--Catwoman.

348605constantinepreviewmd.jpg

Oh! How we fucking laughed.

I'm mailing it out to JMC today. Although it won't be spreading much holiday cheer once most of you see the way the producers talk about this film. If I knew how I would rip it on to bit torrent or something but I'm not that proficient.

There's going to be a behind the scenes special on HBO in February which I might assume will probably be pretty much the same content as the promo disc.

I'm surprised they're trying to flog copies of it online - a fiver for an in-store freebie sounds very cynical to me.

Then again, Keanuphiles do seem to extra-keen in their pursuit of all things Reeves....says the man who'd probably have bought a copy had Andy not decided to go above and beyond the call of duty.

it's funny how we'd actually PREFER that this movie gets the Catwoman treatment - change the name of the man protagonist, add chics in leather and some neato FX-shots, disctance it from the source material COMLETELY, don';t astardize and butcher the "good" name of John COnstantine...

I'm mailing it out to JMC today.  Although it won't be spreading much holiday cheer once most of you see the way the producers talk about this film.  If I knew how I would rip it on to bit torrent or something but I'm not that proficient.

There's going to be a behind the scenes special on HBO in February which I might assume will probably be pretty much the same content as the promo disc.

We don't have HBO in Holland....It's still not on bittorent, I can't believe it :(

DC believes the film has a close connection to the source material, which provides the potential to be a better stimulus to sales than the last movie based on DC Comics characters--Catwoman.

Excuse me while I laugh. Bitterly.

I picked it up while Christmas shopping. There's quite a bit in there and there were a couple of Constantine lines I liked. For example...

John and the doctor's brief concern about his lung caner was good.

John blowing smoke in the glass with the spider looked straight out of the comic.

Oh...."This is Constantine. John Constantine. Asshole" - I liked it. :D

I did not, however, keep the same curious grin when they showed fliming footage of the shotgun battle. I'd appreciate this movie a hell of a lot more if they'd done away with that ridiculous weapon.

Guest spiderlegs
Levitz:  It's not only going to be a really good movie, but a really good movie that's a good representation of what you should come to the comic book to get.  This is something we haven't had for a while.

What the fuck..? :ohmy:

Oh, eat my ass, you sniveling shill! How much did the twat get paid for sucking WB's cock like a crack whore who hasn't hit the pipe in a few hours? Blech! :mad:

Who the fuck is this Levitz fucker who obviously has never read the comic (or any comic) in his life?

"It's based on a comic book but I don't want it to feel like a comic book movie"

I hate when people say shit like this. When I tell people "From Hell" of "Road to Perdition", or even "Ghost World" were based on Comics, they always say "It didn't feel like a comic book movie". To which I respond, "That's because you don't know much about comic books."

Guest spiderlegs

Oh, Paul Levitz is DC Comics President and Publisher.

Well, he's also a dumbass!

I also liked this clueless bit of prescience (look at me, I'm Psychic!):

Catwoman was closer to the source material than ol' holy shotgun guy!

Could you watch the personal insults there Spider - they do nothing but make you look like a reactionary freak and play into the general negative stereotype of comic readers.

I would pay CASH MONEY to watch this in Tom's presence!

Andy, you are a top bloke and I owe you for sorting me out with a copy of the DVD.

I'm working on getting it online but I'm having some compression problems so I'd welcome any tips folks have to offer - it's an 11 minute piece but I'm having trouble getting it at a decent resolution under a 100 megs.