andy

Best Buy's Constantine Promo DVD

john :

www.rippack.bheller.com

yeah, i know. it's in french, but i was told it's a great, idiot-proof little compression program.

actually, not an insult. i was looking for an idiot proof DVD rtipper, and a friend told me this was it. i wanna put in as little effort as possible to make div-x copies of certain serbian films, to send to you folks...

<<LE EDIT VOUZ>>

besides, it would have to be idiot proof. i told you it's a french program... ;)

Guest spiderlegs
Could you watch the personal insults there Spider - they do nothing but make you look like a reactionary freak and play into the general negative stereotype of comic readers.

My apologies. :glare:

There'll be some spoilers in here, but nothing that hasn't come up around the forum so far.

It's funny - various sorts associated with the flick are wheeled out and they all make the right kind of noises (as far as we'd be concerned, anyway) but then up pops Akiva Goldman who starts going on about John needing to find faith.

There are some vintage Comic Constantine type moments in there - like his interaction (while smoking) with the doctor who's just diagnosed him with lung cancer, his brutal dismal of Angela by making light of her sister's suicide and mental condition and the oft talking about cockroach bit.

Tilda Swinton comes off really well - she strikes me as being a terribly charismatic woman, something about the way she holds herself. Keeps refering to her character as a he though, which was odd.

Chaz...oh dear mother of fuck...where's the comedy wah-wah horn when you need one ?

The Holy Shotgun scene seems to be disappointingly long - I was under the impression that it managed to avoid looking like something out of Die Hard, but the footage on this DVD suggests otherwise.

The 'safe house for angels and half-breeds' just screams, well....

lorne.jpg

The 'safe house for angels and half-breeds' just screams, well....

lorne.jpg

I was thinking the exsact same thing when I heard that line. Kudios, John for finding a pic of Lorne. I was far too lazy.

Joke! It was a joke.

Where?! I missed one? ;)

sorry for making you install that prog, John - i am currently using it to rip you a brill serbian war flick (Pretty Village Pretty Flame) so i can send it to you folks abroad...

That "Dirty Harry of the Occult" line always bugged me for some reason. Now I when I see some of the Holy Shotgun scene I understand why. I'm hoping that this isn't the big shoot-em-up at the end. Tilda is playing Gabriel so I guess that qualifies as a "he".

Oh and what type of British accent does Rachel Weisz have in "real life". It sounds somewhat middle class to me and I think I hear a tiny bit of an Australian accent in there but I'm not the cunning linguist some of you Brits are.

And speaking of accents it grates on me to hear everyone say "ConstantEEn" especially when I had to force myself to say and think it the proper way.

In fairness to Lauren, she explained that she meant 'Dirty Harry' in the sense that John was just as capable of doing bad as good.

Ok, the video quality is a little choppy in places but right click and save as here to download an 84meg version of the 10 minute promotional DVD footage.

Ocean, it's Andy you need to propose to - if it wasn't for his kindness, I wouldn't have had anything to upload.

I have a nice big, crystal clear 250meg .mpg of the thing that I'll burn onto CD for the lads in Britain (cause postage will be bugger all).

These all follow back-to-back -

Rachel Weisz : One of the thing's this movie is about is morality and free will....

Djimon Hounsou : It's sort of the definition of life, really trying to face life, to do what you do on a daily basis to survive....

Akiva Goldsman : It's a movie about redemption, about someone who sees too much not because he chose to, but because he was cursed - or blessed- to and has to find faith.

And Later...

Akiva Goldsman : Keanu was really helpful in the final forming of the character because he had a really good take on him. There are certain lines in the movie that are so Constantine that they just sort of emerged from him - it was wonderful!

These all follow back-to-back -

Rachel Weisz : One of the thing's this movie is about is morality and free will....

Djimon Hounsou : It's sort of the definition of life, really trying to face life, to do what you do on a daily basis to survive....

Akiva Goldsman : It's a movie about redemption, about someone who sees too much not because he chose to, but because he was cursed - or blessed- to and has to find faith.

Piece of...

(Yeah I'm watching this again over my morning cuppa)

*cough*

JOHN CONSTANTINE IS NOT DRIVEN BY A NEED FOR REDEMPTION.

During Dangerous Habits he was consumed by a sense of abject (if understandable) fear, to the point that he almost destroyed the entire world just to safe his own soul.

Ladies and gentlemen: the man who had the last word on the script for this wonderful piece of cinema.

It's like a weird piece of performance art - everytime someone says something right on the money, or they show a clip that looks like Comic Constantine brought to life...up pops Akiva to mutter something soul destroying.

What does the DVD say Akiva's connection to the movie is? I tried adding him on as a writer on imdb, but it snootily told me that they were no longer accepting submissions.

Thanks John for posting the file. It is as bad as feared, and as good as hoped. If I concentrate really really hard when I watch it on forgetting it has anything to do with the comic, I think the movie might be enjoyable. It looks really nice. But if I let through the thoughts about all the glaring fuckups Goldsman would seem to be ultimately responsible for, it'll be excruciating...

Keanu is better than feared, IMHO.