andy

Best Buy's Constantine Promo DVD

Agreed on Keanu, Red. I thought the bit in the doctor's office was aces - he was dead convincing as John. Also liked the interview bit where Reeves talks about John just getting on up after being knocked down time and time again.

What does the DVD say Akiva's connection to the movie is?

He gets an on-screen credit as 'producer'.

Agreed on Keanu, Red.  I thought the bit in the doctor's office was aces - he was dead convincing as John.  Also liked the interview bit where Reeves talks about John just getting on up after being knocked down time and time again.

Yeah, but I prefer the more realistic one from the comic where he basically goes into a state of shock.

In fairness to Lauren, she explained that she meant 'Dirty Harry' in the sense that John was just as capable of doing bad as good.

Ok, the video quality is a little choppy in places but right click and save as here to download an 84meg version of the 10 minute promotional DVD footage.

Ocean, it's Andy you need to propose to - if it wasn't for his kindness, I wouldn't have had anything to upload.

I have a nice big, crystal clear 250meg .mpg of the thing that I'll burn onto CD for the lads in Britain (cause postage will be bugger all).

I'll move to Brittain first thing tomorrow!! :icon_frown:

No, thanx soooo much Andy and John ! Made my day!! Laph ya ;)

Ok, the video quality is a little choppy in places but right click and save

Thanks John. I´ll be dowloading it tonight.

Ocean, it's Andy you need to propose to - if it wasn't for his kindness, I wouldn't have had anything to upload

No problem. I guess I can deal with two guys! :happy:

BTW, Andy, marry me. :wub:

Guest spiderlegs

I downloaded and I can't get it to play in any of my players: Windows Media Player, RealPlayer or Quick Time. I wonder if I need some sort of codec... :huh:

Ok, the video quality is a little choppy in places but right click and save

Thanks John. I´ll be dowloading it tonight.

Ocean, it's Andy you need to propose to - if it wasn't for his kindness, I wouldn't have had anything to upload

No problem. I guess I can deal with two guys! :happy:

BTW, Andy, marry me. :wub:

Hmmm if a free 11-minute dvd makes you that happy then the wedding gifts should be a breeze. :wink:

I downloaded and I can't get it to play in any of my players: Windows Media Player, RealPlayer or Quick Time. I wonder if I need some sort of codec... :huh:

DivX did the job for me...You have that?

Oh and see, Keanu can act!!

I also thought Rachel did a nice job in the beginning where she says "Mr Constantine I blablabla" Because in the trailer you only see her looking serious and here she smiles in between. Which is better...

I downloaded and I can't get it to play in any of my players: Windows Media Player, RealPlayer or Quick Time. I wonder if I need some sort of codec...

Yeah, it's encoded using the Div-X 5.2.0 codec so it sounds like you need to update your drivers.

Guest spiderlegs

After having watched it, I think that most of my fears about the film are justified.

Positives:

Papa Midnight looks cool and well cast.

The effects look pretty good.

If I didn't know it was loosely based on HB, I might have more than a passing interest in seeing the film.

Negatives (still):

The "Chas" factor. After watching the little bit on Chas, I mourn the loss of a great supporting character. The film makers should be lined up and kicked in the balls for this "inventive approach." It sucked to listen to them describe this version of an invented character with whom the only trait shared with the original character is the name. John Constantine: Babysitter.

And though Tilda Swinton looks like she was drawn by the hand of Steve Dillon, she is still obviously a female, from her demeanor to her voice. I hate to get caught up in sexual stereotypes--and I am, aware that angels are gender-free--but she isn't right. Gabriel should have been played by a bigger, athletic male. In the comic, he always seemed somewhat larger than life as well as elegant (which she does seem to portray the elegance well).

Since most of us (to some degree) have accepted that Hollywood craves an American Constantine, couldn't they at least have dyed his hair blonde and given him his trenchcoat? Is it too much to ask for the character's other signature aspects if you are going to Americanize him? Why can't we have any crossover consistency with the character? Why have they removed his overt touchstones? The only thing the comicbook character and the film...version...have in common is the smoking, and I'll bet the cigs aren't Silk Cut.

Again (like I'm going to say anything different), I am extremely disappointed in their "inventive approach" to making this film. I would rather a film about John Constantine did not come out at all than this stylized echo of Hellblazer.

It's still Constantine, the Vampire Slayer to me. I half expected to see Joss Whedon somewhere among the credits...

And though Tilda Swinton looks like she was drawn by the hand of Steve Dillon, she is still obviously a female, from her demeanor to her voice. I hate to get caught up in sexual stereotypes--and I am, aware that angels are gender-free--but she isn't right. Gabriel should have been played by a bigger, athletic male. In the comic, he always seemed somewhat larger than life as well as elegant (which she does seem to portray the elegance well).

I vehemently disagree with all of this statement.

Everything else you said is bang on though.

Since most of us (to some degree) have accepted that Hollywood craves an American Constantine, couldn't they at least have dyed his hair blonde and given him his trenchcoat?

Reeves' hair looks too dark to successfully bleach and apparently he doesn't look too hot in a brown trenchcoat.

I think it's funny that they even dyed his hair jet black to be more dark yet (what makes him much more pale, a bit phantasmagoric, if you ask me...). Anyway, Keanu already did some atrocious things to his hair (think "The Last Time I Commited Suicide"), and can pass with some strikes of dark blond hair but, in fact, he has very chinese features, it's obvious he is partly asian and asian people don't have blond hair, so... Like Spider said, they could have gone with a different actor, but if it's Keanu, we fans are very glad that he didn't dyed his hair blond. ;)

Well, I watched the video (thanks again my dears John and Andy) and I have to say that I'm now feeling too much spoiled for the movie (it's obvious... meh! :happy: ). Anyway, I liked Keanu's scenes and comments, I think he will do a great job (even if being physically so different from the character in the comic). IMO cast is the minor problem with the movie. They have a great cast. I´m not all that (yet) confident about the script and direction.

What I liked:

Keanu Reeves :D

Midnite - Hounsou has such a great persona. He puts credibility in everything he makes.

Angela - I felt sympathy for Angela and I'm not even a Weisz fan! She looks great in the scenes.

The effects - looking VERY good

Mirror scene - the bit (and the one in German site) looks impressive

Score - don't know if it is the final music for the movie but the bits along some scenes and the one at the end of the video are great.

In those fast drawings they show you can see Ellie in a bed with John. I hope they show the scene (with some Keanu nude too... :biggrin: ).

What I didn´t like (and this can be changed after seeing the whole movie, I know)

Gabriel - I LOVE Tilda Swinton. She is beautiful, different, great actress, but although I know that angels do not have sex I imagined Gabriel, although androgynous, more masculine. She seems more delicate than ever, what I found strange. I know it's only a bit of a scene, but the way she talked to John... too much tender.

Chaz - He can be a good actor, maybe even less annoying in the movie than we think, but Shia LaBeouf is too much young. Case closed.

Shotgun - It seems that the scene is longer than we thought. Anyway, I keep positive and maybe the scene is shorter but required a lot of work for being an action sequence, as we know they are very complicated to make...

Overall - They have everything to make a great flick, and I know about all the changes made, so it will be better for the ones who dont know a thing about the comic. But even for the ones who knows Constantine it can be very entertaining as it seems if they are not being all that faithfull to the comic, at least they are not making fun of it or making a shit movie screwing completely with the character.

Well, february is around the corner and then we'll see what the score will be. ;)

Ah! Sorry for the loooong post. Call it "caipirinha factor"... :laugh:

I know that angels do not have sex

You haven't read 'Fear and Loathing' yet, have you, Ocean?

:lol:

OK, I haven't finished watching it yet, but having reached the halfway point of this 'sneak peek', I had to come up for air.

*deep breath*

Piece of shit, piece of shi-it, piece of shit...

That's better. Back with more coherently-expressed rage in a few minutes (you lucky, lucky people, you).

Well, I was planning to come back and tear that thing apart, point-by-point. But I think I've lost the will to live, and I really can't be bothered anymore.

Sweet merciful fuck-Christ....they actually seem proud.

"It's a version of Heaven and Hell which is really quite insightful, and surprising"

No it isn't, Keanu. It's derivative, uninspired, predictable shit.

Oh, and wasn't the 'John-as-suicide' thing meant to be a pivotal reveal? Should they really be talking about it right at the start of this teaser?

The Gabriel-tells-John-he's-going-to-Hell scene is, in the content of the dialogue, almost exactly the same as the one in the comic - but made almost unrecognizable by the way it's played. When exactly did Gabriel become a sensitive, sympathetic lover-of-all-sinners? Last time I checked, he was a smug, superior, arrogant bastard. Another missed opportunity, methinks.

*sigh*

I'm with Tom. This is going to hurt.

To be fair, Mark, do you expect ANY people who have made ANY film NOT to act proud about the product in a "sneak peek" made to get people watching the film?

True, of course. It's just all so very Hollywood, and not in a good way. There's a certain base irony implicit in such a glossily generic piece of promotional material stressing the darkness, intelligence and originality of the piece of product in question. I stand by my earlier assertion that, if this was nothing to do with Hellblazer, I'd be steering well clear of it - as it stands, it's like a scab I can't stop picking. I'm not happy.

is there a single panel/cover from the comics in this sneak peek? Do they even say what's the name of the source material?

No and no. They talk briefly about the comics' 'mythology' at the beginning, but never refer to Hellblazer by name.

Lorenzo Di Bonaventura (producer): "The thing about comic books is that they paint the world in a very clear way. What is bad, and what is good? Who's standing for what, and why are they standing that way? And Constanteen is not your typical hero."

That's about as incisive as it gets. But, to be fair, it is a promotional puff-piece. It would be very unfair to expect much more from it.

Yes, I've calmed down a bit now.

Thanks very much guys.

I don't like the way Gabriel is all sweetness and concern and wants everyone to go to heaven. Otherwise I like it.