andy

Best Buy's Constantine Promo DVD

Hmmmmm....I think some of you are misreading Tilda's sarcastic comments about Gabriel and applying them (at face value) to the 20 seconds we see of her performance.

It was kind of irritating that way the DVD plays out to a load of concept art - would've been nifty if they'd used shots from the comics instead.

Yeah, I read Swanson's comments as ironic. The clip plays out like she's taking the opportunity to rub it in with some fake concern, which is cool but I preferred the standoffish prick from Dangerous Habits.

The best thing about this film is that it's reminding me how bloody well put together Dangerous Habits really was.

I know that angels do not have sex

You haven't read 'Fear and Loathing' yet, have you, Ocean?

:lol:

No. :laugh: But nothing more will surprise me in relation to the Hellblazer universe. :biggrin::laugh:

Hmmmmm....I think some of you are misreading Tilda's sarcastic comments about Gabriel and applying them (at face value) to the 20 seconds we see of her performance.

Well, I didn't get Tilda Swinton's comments as sarcastic. But I didn't understand too much either (as far my English is not that good Tilda really talked in a strange way...). Anyway, her bit in the preview is really short, we can't see very much of the character. But she acted kind and gentle so, if she is faking, it will be a good twist.

True, of course. It's just all so very Hollywood, and not in a good way. There's a certain base irony implicit in such a glossily generic piece of promotional material stressing the darkness, intelligence and originality of the piece of product in question. I stand by my earlier assertion that, if this was nothing to do with Hellblazer, I'd be steering well clear of it - as it stands, it's like a scab I can't stop picking. I'm not happy.

You didn't see any preview interviews of "Sex Lives of the Potato Men" ?

I think people are entitled to say nice things about their own work.

And even if some people are not happy (in this case, most people who have read the source material) they should still have pride in their work.

i expected to at least say "based on the comic book Hellblazer", or something, but nooo... this will just make the viewers go and buy the Official Adaptation. if they even LIKE the movie.

I think people are entitled to say nice things about their own work.

And even if some people are not happy (in this case, most people who have read the source material) they should still have pride in their work.

Of course they are. I wasn't entirely serious about that little aside, I should point out. I also didn't realise Swinton's comments about Gabriel were supposed to be ironic. Well, there you go. I still prefer the scene played the way it was in the comic, though. Gabriel-as-aloof-arrogant-prick just worked better for me.

I didn't pick up that Tilda Swinton was being ironic either. Come to think of it though, I'm sure I read an interview a while ago where Keanu gave away more of what happens in that scene, something about John giving Gabriel a demonstration of what pain feels like for humans. If that's right then it sounds better to me.

I'm sure they mentioned Constantine being based on Hellblazer somewhere near the start of the DVD.

Tilda really did sound like she was taking the piss when she was talking about Gabriel's concern - her tone was dripping with mockery. I'm really glad she's involved, never heard of her before but she's really caught my interest.

They definitely don't mention Hellblazer by name. I just checked. The closest it gets is a brief mention by Lawrence of the 'mythology of John Constantine in the comics'.

For what it's worth it does say "Based on the DC Comics/Vertigo Hellblazer graphic novels" on the packaging and presumably it will say it on the movie posters as well. I'm sure the title of the comic will be brought up when the actors are promoting the film on the talk show circuit.

Every so often I naively assume you've lost the power to surprise me, Tom. Yet again, I'm proved wrong.

Look at it like this; if, say, Sony. Offered me 10 million quid tomorrow to make an accurate film adaptation of John Constantine, without actually holding the rights, one of the easiest things to do would be to change the sex and name of the protagonist. Other than that, the hatchet job that Goldsman, Donner et al. have done gives you a fairly good run at the characters and plot of the book without bearing any resemblence to their film.

If that was the case then Tilda Swinton would make a top notch "Hellblazer".

Rachel Weisz too for that matter. She was brilliantly manipulative in "The Shape Of Things".

And they're both British. ;)

Oh, I can see where you're coming from. It just came somewhat out of nowhere.

In fairness to Lauren, she explained that she meant 'Dirty Harry' in the sense that John was just as capable of doing bad as good.

Ok, the video quality is a little choppy in places but right click and save as here to download an 84meg version of the 10 minute promotional DVD footage.

Ocean, it's Andy you need to propose to - if it wasn't for his kindness, I wouldn't have had anything to upload.

I have a nice big, crystal clear 250meg .mpg of the thing that I'll burn onto CD for the lads in Britain (cause postage will be bugger all).

Hey, John, would you mind if the webmistress from shia-labeouf.org posts the video on her site? She'll credit you, too, if you want.

That's bloody odd, I can't get that .jpg to work in Firefox!

Here's a gif -

screen5.gif

Let me know what browser you're using and if you can see the .jpg in my initial response to Mama guys.