Tim Bradstreet

Criminal Macabre

I love Templesmith as an artist, he's not always the best choice for clearly telling a story visually.

He's come on quite a bit over the last year or two, his work on Fell and Gentleman Corpse are both streets ahead of his, at times, indecipherablel stuff on early Cal and the 30 Days Of Night series. If nothing else, I think he may have found the 'adjust brightness' button on whatever graphics software he uses!

What I believe is Cal's very first appearence is available online

Funky link man, have you read the prose book you mentioned ?

Haha, that was fun. Edgar Cain = Christian

Don't go giving the boy ideas, this place is messy enough without us having to scoop up the remains of explodo-heads.

All 3 of those prose books are way bitchin, and fast reads.

To me it's the best way to introduce yourself to the character.

They start out at the beginning when Cal was a DC resident before he moved out west to LA.

I think Big Head actually ended up being Savage Membrane but I might be wrong.

I'm hoping Niles peeks his head in here and clarifies some things for us once in a while.

I tipped him on the thread and I'm pretty sure he has been lurking ;)

- tb

He feels you have no taste, he prefers Jamison, and he's first generation from Ireland?

Did I get that right?

I've always thought Jamison was a rather generic brew from Ireland. Kinda like Budweiser here (not that I would mistake Bud for Whiskey, but you get my drift).

My favorite Whiskey (or bourbon as it were) is Maker's Mark, with Black Jack running second (I just like it OK?) ;)

My favorite Scotch is Ardbeg, from the Isle of Islay, Argyll, Scotland.

Budweiser is considered like soda pop to most people on this side of the pond as well. There is a microbrewery explosion happening commerically right now so those who drink a lot of beer sneer contemptuously at those who drink water, err, I mean Bud.

As for the Jameson, I suspected as much. In a drunken stupor, I promised him I'd drink half a bottle of it on his grave and pour half the bottle on him, should he be unfortunate enough to die first. It isn't just him as his dad loves it too. I can't even make out what his dad says because of his Irish accent. I suppose finding something familiar that our government-run liquor outlets sell is reward enough.

There was an issue of Hellblazer, I think it was during Ennis run, where bottles of Jameson were pencilled in here and there. Is that sort of thing the penciller's discretion or the writer's?

Tim, not to be a wanker, but you didn't tell me if your covers were going to be included in the TPB. Were you involved with the mini?

I picked up the Barracuda/Punisher trade yesterday and damn, your covers are kick ass.

So it's best I buy the Criminal Macabre mini in trade to check this out?

1) don't be put off by all that single malt snobbery - it's not that complicated and like there is only white wine and red wine and dry wine and sweet wine - there is only really three types of whisky, and five regions worth considering as they have variation in taste (The Highlands, Speyside, Lowland, Islay, Campbeltown.)

If you like Glenfiddich, try Jura. Get in there and try one of each and then use that as your benchmark.

I like peaty ones and medicinal ones but for different reasons.

You know those horrible ones that taste like disinfectant? Add a bit of water and they break down into a totally different drink. My faves are Macallan, An Cnoc and Lagavulin, plus the aforementioned Ardbeg and Jura. And I am quite fond of anything form a sherry cask.

Always a pleasure reading your posts Mr Brown. You'd be surprised how many snooty assholes I have giving me the whatfor over what I drink. Not to worry, though, I drink as I please and I judge on the experience. If someone wants to 'educate' me by putting another shot in front of me, more power to me!

I've a friend who came back from a European visit with a couple tasty bottles and Macallan was one of them. My palate wasn't as developed back then but I remember liking everything shared with me.

The only option for something like Jura is to order it online, and if I'm going to do that I'd probably start with some Absenthe as I've yet to indulge in the real thing and all our politicians let us buy here is some watered down, alternate spelling Absinth (no e on purpose) by Hill's, and I think it is only 5 PPM, might as well be drinking cough syrup with percocet.

I have a bottle of Courvoisier cognac that I got as a gift but haven't been touching, I'm going to throw some water in a glass and see if it becomes more palatable.

Our liqour stores have a government mandated list of booze they can sell. They follow the wishes of the consumers, because there is no way to benefit them except through higher sales, but it means they can't have a large list with small quantities, they must instead have a small list with lots of each. The list changes regularly. I've tried pretty much everything they have at least once.

I've always liked Jack Daniels. It isn't in any way comparable to Coca Cola, it isn't some overly marketed, more addictive than other pops, low quality drink at all. When I'm at work and won't be out before the booze stores close, I can call a chum and say grab me a 40 of Jack's and I know it is going to be a fun evening.

Sorry for the attempted thread hijacking, but everyone here is alredy sold on supporting Criminal Macabre so I don't feel too guilty.

I'll admit I used to like Jack Daniels. And I didn't mean to imply that it was low-quality. Just seems generic (but here I am drinking Jameson. Kettle, this is the Pot speaking). But I'm an odd duck and I've found that I like it better when my whisk(e)y tastes like a cranky, depressed, old man.

Also, I went to the Liquor and tried to pick up any of the prevously mentioned types of Scotch and they didn't have any other than Glenfidditch.

I love Templesmith as an artist, he's not always the best choice for clearly telling a story visually.

He's come on quite a bit over the last year or two, his work on Fell and Gentleman Corpse are both streets ahead of his, at times, indecipherablel stuff on early Cal and the 30 Days Of Night series. If nothing else, I think he may have found the 'adjust brightness' button on whatever graphics software he uses!

Very true. His action sequences in Wormwood are also good examples of this.

I believe Savage Menbrane was the first Cal book. The events from the Big Head comic are recounted in it and lead directly into the book's plotline. While reading it I thought it was a bit strange to base the plotline of the book on the outcome of a short comic that many of the book's readers probably wouldn't have seen but it works and the novel is a quick and fun read.

Yeah, I think it works even though Big Head saw a limited audience, with Savage Membrane it kind of picks it back up like any "Old Case" - like story. That's the beauty about a private dick plot, they so often start with characters that come creeping back from their past. It doesn't matter if readers missed Big Head because they get all of the information they need along the way. Then it's cool to go back and find stuff like Big Head to see what inspired the other story (or case as it were).

Here's something ironic (I don't think I ever told Steve this) -

One night a few years ago my wife was getting ready for bed and she asked me if I could find her something she hadn't already read (she likes to read before bed - obviously). So I rummage through some stuff and pull out Savage Membrane. I hand it to her and then go back across the hall to my studio. Then she calls me back into the room. I walk back in and she says "read this", and hands me back the book. Chapter one begins with the line "It was the night after Halloween".

This was on November 1st 2003 . . .

I was like . . . Um, that's fucking creepy.

Sleep tight

- Tb

It made me wonder if there has been anyone else in the world who started reading Savage Membrane on the evening of November 1st. We should all get together every year and have a reunion. There has to be at least 6 of us. That's enough for a game of strip poker.

t b

Guest spiderlegs

I like Cal as a character, but how many times have we seen the salty P.I. (detective, agent, et al). I mean, how vastly different from the Sam Spades or Harry Angels is he?

I re-read Criminal Macabre and liked it a little better. I must admit, reading a few posts about the improvement in Templesmith's art is a plus. I like his style, but similarly to others, I found his action sequences muddled and confusing, at times, because the characters all resembled each other, and because he likes those thick dark scribbles and tongues that wrap around things. Sometimes it was brilliant while others, I'd spend too too long trying to figure out WTF was happening (I might be dumb but not STOO-pid...).

I, respecting the POVs of my friends here--one being the cover-artist extraordinairre involved with the project, will start picking it up again. You lot are mighty convincing to one who has only just emerged post-coma!

I was picking up my girlfriend from university for Xmas break this past weekend, the school is about a four hour drive where I live. The city is home to the biggest comic book shop in eastern Canada so I figured they'd have some of this Cal stuff.

I couldn't find it on the shelves so I asked the Comic Book Guy to give me a hand, but alas, they had nothing. He loves the book and tried to sell me on it but I'd have none of that, 'Tim Bradstreet himself already told me to come pick it up' I says. They stock the old TPB all the time but the Xmas rush temporarily emptied them out. Finding this book up is more trouble than one would expect!

With Dark Horse securing the rights for the original trades, I'd imagine they're (the first editions) either currently out of print or in very scarce supply.

Hurry up, Dark Horse!

I'm pretty sure the first two issues are on stands now. Anybody pick this up yet?

Waiting for my comps to show but would love to know your thoughts.

Also, I mentioned earlier in this thread that orders on the first issue were a bit disappointing

As I suspected, reorders were VERY strong once people got a look at it so the numbers are quite solid now and growing.

- Tb

I have the first two issues. It's pretty damn good so far. Story's moving a little slow, and there wasn't enough Cal in the last issue.

Although I loved the last few pages of issue #2.

And that cover was something a little different from you, Tim.

I hope that the overall sales are well enough for the title to continue. I managed to get the first issue upon release but I went to three different comic stores to get issue #2 and they either sold the two copies they received or they didn't bother to order any at all. Hopefully my asking for it will encourage them to increase their orders and I can actually get my hands on each new issue.

That really sucks that you guys are having a hard time getting the issues. I'll talk to my editor about the UK distibution but it may be that most smaller shop owners only order titles based off customer orders. Like I mentioned, the initial orders were not strong, but once people saw it they wanted it and so the reorders were great, Still, that doesn't leave much to sit out on the stands in plain view of the browser looking for a gem or something he/she wasn't aware of. That's kind of how I am. When I do find my way to a shop I just look over the racks trying to find something that catches my eye, subsequently I end up missing a lot, mostly the stuff that isn't tried and true stockable like Marvel/DC.

I'm working pretty hard to up the visability and get Macabre into the public consiousness a bit more but DH needs to get behind this too.

Anyway, without further ado, I just updated my site with the newest cover to Criminal Macabre hot off my table. Go take a gander - http://timbradstreet.typepad.com

Cheers - Tb

Anyway, without further ado, I just updated my site with the newest cover to Criminal Macabre hot off my table. Go take a gander - http://timbradstreet.typepad.com

Excellent, as always.

Also, I like your Sandman Mystery Theater covers a lot.

I haven't had any difficulties finding Criminal Macabre, but I do live L.A. The two stores I go to on the westside-- Hi De Ho comics, and Comic Ink--- usually stock the title pretty well and it generally takes about 2 weeks to sell out of a specific issue.

Certainly, Tim, your covers help a lot with the whole "quasi-impulse puchase" thing you were talking about. I don't mean that in a sycophantic way; people are used to seeing your covers on popular (or at least recognizable) comic titles, and with your distinct style it's easy to get people to stop and look from only a quick glance.

Dark Horse does a decent job of promoting, but they seem to have fallen well behind competitors like Vertigo, Image, and the MAX line.

There's also the "problem" of the current trend in comic purchasing to wait on trades for almost everything.

I am interested but dammit we really miss ya over on the Hellblazer covers. This new guy is good but he's no Tim Bradstreet. And can I just rave on you a minute Mr. B, this guy has signed more books for me at cons than any other artist. Thanks man you're a scholar and a gentelman. And here's a pic of you at last years Dallas con,

333lauc.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me I have some shit on my nose.

I'm going to have to wait for the trade with this title. I went to five different comic stores in an attempt to find issue #3 and not a single one had it. I don't know if Dark Horse isn't promoting it or if the people who order the books just don't think it'll sell or if I just live in a cultural wasteland but it's a self fullfilling prophecy when a retailer says "it's not popular so we don't order it."

Andy, we're gonna go gunnin' for those sons a bitches.

OK, I went and done it finally. Couldn't remain a dinosaur forever.

It's official, I've gone off the deep end and joined MySpace.

Go check it out - http://www.myspace.com/tbradstreet

And for a look at the 1st cover to the new story arc on Criminal Macabre (issue #5) check out my pics gallery on MySpace and scroll down - http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...endID=161855547

Or hit my official page where it is spotlighted in my most recent update - http://timbradstreet.typepad.com

xoxo - Tb