Tim Bradstreet

Criminal Macabre

I finally got a copy of Criminal macabre, but it is issue #2

Get this: I went to Strange Adventures back in December cos I was picking up my girlfriend from university for the Xmas break. It's generally considered the best comic store in Eastern Canada. Great staff and a massive TPB selection. I asked for it, as I posted in this thread, and the guy behind the counter loved it but said he was all out. End of story.

I walk in this week, cos I was visiting her. Don't you hate guys who say COS cos they are too lazy to type out because? The guy remembers me from that one discussion and pulls out a bag with #2. I say, I'm from 5 hours away, I don't live around here, you know' and he says he remembers but that when someone is looking for anything out of the ordinary, he likes to keep a copy on hand in case they come back. And he was a big fan of the previous Criminal Macabre. Great shop!

Tim, your cover would have jumped out of the stands if it wasn't already reserved for me. You have only $4 Canadian of mine so far, though. I would have bought 1 and 3 as well but he couldn't get them. Why is a Dark Horse book so hard to come by? Aren't they through Diamond like everyone else? At least a bunch of us will be buying the trade.

The story was pretty good too, I only got a bit of Cal since he was in a hospital bed most of the issue.

I am enjoying this. Kyle Hotz art reigns in a bit the good Sam Kieth stuff and the characterisations give room for the right kind of humour and action.

Folks who are not reading it might want to consider what Garth Ennis's Hellblazer had been crossed with his Hitman humour.

Mostly recommended.

Read CRIMINAL MACABRE: A Cal McDonald Mystery. Now this is a great mini-series with a magnificent character as protagonist. I bet most of you know about Cal, I sure didn't and have to say Mr. McDonald made a great impression on me.

Cal is a cynical, alcoholic, drug addict, chain-smoker, hard-boiled private detective who happens to attract the bizarre. If you like Constantine is a safe bet you'll like this guy too, he's that kind of anti-hero but with different methods when it comes to dealing with the supernatural. Read the book in the blink of an eye, right now getting the published material I'm missing featuring McDonald is my top priority (regarding comics of course).

If Cal McDonald has been the subject of a previous forum please let me know, I’d like to share my views on the character with other readers.

post-3236-1189731051_thumb.jpg

Has you can see, we've got a fair bit of love for the chap.

(And it's about time for a Bradstreet update !)

This is great! Didn't think Cal had so many fans. An update from Tim Bradstreet would be fantastic, It'd give me the chance to post something my favorite artist would actually read.

Guest spiderlegs

Cal plans to keep the Satan baby away from Satan AND the Catholic church. The Last Templar Knight is yucky.

Has anyone read the first issue of 'Simon Dark' by Steve Niles (see the Criminal Macabre link? No?)

It looks pretty fun and it's interesting to see some horror in Gotham without it necessarily being Vertigo. Any recommendations?

I was wondering about it too. I remember it someone gave it a luke warm reception, but it's in that huge Comic's I read tread, and i don't feel like digging thru that.....

I have a feeling it won't last though, as Non-Super DC rarely works.

So I have in trades; Criminal Macabre: A Cal Macdonald Mystery, Last Train to Deadsville: A Cal Macdonald Mystery and Criminal Macabre: Two Red Eyes.

Labelled vol 1, 2 and 4, so where is 3?

To follow up on Matt's post, six months later, as I was coming in here to have a moan about how fucking hard it is to find McDonald trades.

From what I can make out, Cal McDonald jumped from Image to Dark Horse half-way through Supernatural Freak Machine, the mini which makes up volume 3 of the series. As a result the last two issues were never published, according to Amazon a collection is due out in 2008. That's right, Volumes 4 and (probably) 5 are available before volume 3 has been published. Quality work all round.

Really disappointed with the 'King Of The Vampires' Hellblazer swipe at the end of Two Red Eyes, bit cheap that chaps.

Folks who are not reading it might want to consider what Garth Ennis's Hellblazer had been crossed with his Hitman humour.

Nails the appeal of the series perfectly.

I enjoyed "My Demon Baby" until it ended conveniently. Blah ending. :witchhunt: