Sign in to follow this  
Qusoor

Why it's not an occult action film...

It just occurred to me that Constantine is not in fact an occult action film. There is no occult (which is to say, hidden) knowledge involved. The Ninth Gate was an occult film--there was hidden knowledge running around it left right and sideways. The Ring was occult--it involved the supernatural as well as hidden motives, and knowledge that was secret.

As far as I can tell, Constantine has no occult knowledge. After all, knowledge of God and Demons is fairly commonm, as is the knowledge that you can borrow the power of God to defeat Demons (Holy Shotgun, Holt Footspa). It strikes me that this is really a religious action film. Like Stigmata, End of Days or Dogma.

Dogma is a religious action movie? :o

I think I can see your point, though. The 'occult' parts on Constantine seem pretty mainstream, nothing we haven't seen before, as always ripping off a not very academic Catholic theology.

Dogma is a religious action movie? :o

There's machine guns, and those little hocky-stick wielding bastards.

OK, it's only sort of a religious action film.

It just occurred to me that Constantine is not in fact an occult action film.  There is no occult (which is to say, hidden) knowledge involved.  The Ninth Gate was an occult film--there was hidden knowledge running around it left right and sideways.  The Ring was occult--it involved the supernatural as well as hidden motives, and knowledge that was secret. 

As far as I can tell, Constantine has no occult knowledge.  After all, knowledge of God and Demons is fairly commonm, as is the knowledge that you can borrow the power of God to defeat Demons (Holy Shotgun, Holt Footspa).  It strikes me that this is really a religious action film.  Like Stigmata, End of Days or Dogma.

Yes but then so is the comic. I mean if the whole of humanity had their minds taken over by a demon for an evening then I'm guessing that the majority of folks in the literary Constantine's world are aware of a world beyond their own. And yes I know that most of them don't remember the details, but then if you had a 12-hour memory loss only to awaken to a bunch of dead people arond you, I'm sure you'd be willing to question what really happened.

hmm....Good point, but I still think since "Hellblazer" has dealt with the Kaballah and Goetic magics in the past, etc. that it could be construed as occult.