Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Batman and The Mummy

Dig, if you will, Batman and The Mummy, a Hostess Twinkies ad from DC comics circa 1975. I didn't even know DC characters pimped Twinkies, but here it is.

Batman_Mummy_1975.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/JasonFromOz/Batman_Mummy_1975.jpg

I draw your attention to the following:

1. What were they thinking when they came up with the 1975 incarnation of Batman? :huh:

2. Note that the professor's daughter is "beautiful". Because that makes a difference.

3. That stone is cone-shaped. It's not gonna roll.

4. Robin has a "special mummy ray gun".

... 4a. WTF?! :blink:

... 4b. It is a killing instrument, and Robin attempts murder in panel 4. When he fails, his legal guardian commiserates.

... 4c. Whereabouts on his person does he keep the gun?

5. Note the sly gay subtext in panel 6. Batman: "We'll lure him away with an offer he can't resist." Robin: "Where have I heard that before?"

6. Now go back to panel 5 and tell me what Batman's doing with his left arm that's making him grin like that.

7. The mummy says "I've been around for 2000 years and I've never tasted anything so good." That's because you were dead and didn't eat anything, idiot.

8. The "professor" looks like Commissioner Gordon to me, but suuure that's his "daughter" that he took to an isolated spot after dark.

9. As if the last panel wasn't homoerotic enough, the word "Twinkies" appears to be pointing at Robin, and right under his lycraed bulge and bare thighs is "You get a big delight in every bite".

10. Twinkies taste like sugar whipped with bird shit.

11. What purpose does a mummy ray gun that cannot kill the dead actually have? I can only assume that Robin uses it to kill mothers, which seems like an oddly specific weapon and a bit insensitive given Batman's history.

11. What purpose does a mummy ray gun that cannot kill the dead actually have? I can only assume that Robin uses it to kill mothers, which seems like an oddly specific weapon and a bit insensitive given Batman's history.

It only works against THE LIVING MUMMY!!!

27_1.JPG

12. Who funded the invention of the mummy ray gun? I'm sure it would have needed a big budget, you know...buying parts, excavating egyptian tombs, etc. Also, why? Were mummies that big of a problem before the invention of the mummy ray gun?

Presumably it was funded by the Wayne Foundation — if Bruce is loony enough to spend his parents' money on Batman gear and rent boys, he's not going to mind paying for a ray gun that doesn't kill dead things.

And the "Professor" would have invented it, heartlessly testing it on the Mummy's ancestors. (His "daughter" would have fetched coffee, passed test tubes, and stuff.)

13. If Warren Ellis or Brian K Vaughan had scripted this advert, it would have taken 5 pages.

15- The mummy first says that he cant resist twinkies, only to shortly after say that he´s been around for 2000 years and he has never tasted something that good.If that had happened in the real world,the contradiction would have destroyed the universe.

You're right, there's no way he could have known about the "creamy filling" unless he'd tasted one before. It's a glaring continuity error.

So that's 2 continuity errors, if you include the jump from 13 to 15. :tongue:

But maybe the Mummy tasted a Twinkie 1,000 years ago, and Hostess improved the recipe since then. Hence, "I've never tasted anything so good." Do I win a no-prize?

You're right, there's no way he could have known about the "creamy filling" unless he'd tasted one before. It's a glaring continuity error.

So that's 2 continuity errors, if you include the jump from 13 to 15. :tongue:

But maybe the Mummy tasted a Twinkie 1,000 years ago, and Hostess improved the recipe since then. Hence, "I've never tasted anything so good." Do I win a no-prize?

And maybe, in Argentina, the numbers jump from 13 to 15! No-prize for me!

my school teacher was sick the day she was supossed to teach us about the number 14.

:laugh:, to all the above.

19) ;) It's a very bad ad. At the very end, it reads "You get a pig delight in every bite...". We all know ads for snack foods should not use the word "pig" in order to sell their products....never mind promising a "pig delight"....

It only works against THE LIVING MUMMY!!!

27_1.JPG

Hey, it's another Steve Gerber masterpiece!

That series was far better than its predecessor, The Dead Mummy....

19) ;)

:biggrin:

It's a very bad ad. At the very end, it reads "You get a pig delight in every bite...".

:laugh: Well spotted.

That series was far better than its predecessor, The Dead Mummy....

"The tomb of the STINKING DEAD!"

Presumably it was funded by the Wayne Foundation — if Bruce is loony enough to spend his parents' money on Batman gear and rent boys, he's not going to mind paying for a ray gun that doesn't kill dead things.

And the "Professor" would have invented it, heartlessly testing it on the Mummy's ancestors. (His "daughter" would have fetched coffee, passed test tubes, and stuff.)

13. If Warren Ellis had scripted this advert, it would have taken 5 pages.

And five months to come out...

20.03) Why does Batman say "The tomb of his ancestors"?

Wasnt the mummy the pharao or at least a servant, thus buried in that tomb?

Because then it wouldnt be a place where his ancestors, but coeval comrades rot.

Or is he some relative who died later, was buried in another tomb near to this and awoke from the dead to casually patrol around not letting anybody see his mums private parts?

66) "Never get out alive"? How would they escape dead? Theyre not fancy cursed (Or enchanted) mummies.

π)That mummy must be really inane that he lets two caped idiots go around the corner unnoticed and be bailed with a piece of cardbox he may have never seen- Or extremely clever, given that he knows about 20 century food, and the latin alphabet (Oh and of course, being able to speak English).

Oh and: One of the best threads ever, well done people!

13. If Warren Ellis or Brian K Vaughan had scripted this advert, it would have taken 5 pages.

Sure, but it would have made some sort of sense.

For example, I see that they haven't actually 'solved' the problem of the Mummy. I'm sure he'll be back to moving huge rocks and impeding the White Man's Progress as soon as he's done with his pack o' Twinkies.

DC Characters pimped EVERY sort of Hostess food-type substance. But even when I was seven, I skipped over these ads. I'd eaten one of those vile things before, and knew that all the characters were just costumed whores.

And, the Living Mummy was actually a pretty cool comic. It's one of the few things Marvel really ought to collect.

There were only about 5 issues of Living Mummy. I liked the Steve Gerber issues well enough, although it wasn't his best work, but he only wrote 3 issues, and I didn't really care for the series after Gerber left.

I'm not sure how much more sense it would've made if Ellis had written the ad. After all, how much sense would a mummy turned into a living cell phone actually make?

:D This is all hilarious! I've missed these making-fun-of-cheesy-old-comics sessions.

I'm not sure how much more sense it would've made if Ellis had written the ad. After all, how much sense would a mummy turned into a living cell phone actually make?

More sense than a 2,000 year old mummy that can read English?

Oh shit! That Thor and the Ding-A-Ling Family strip was a real classic. I remember seeing that one many a time from my reading of Bronze Age Marvel comics.

Yeah....like the Marvel bullpen wasn't using LSD in the 1970s....I'll buy that one....