Sign in to follow this  
sethos

Fantastic Four 2

I have no idea what this problem you have with allowing a sequel to take backstory for granted and get on with something else is in this context: it took Kirby and Lee the best part of five years to set the stage for galactus, did it not?

Re-read my posts. Either you're wilfully misinterpreting me, or you just haven't grasped what I'm saying at all - which would be odd, because it's a very, very simple point. I have no problem with allowing a sequel to take a reasonable amount of backstory for granted - it'd be a perfectly sensible storytelling decision. But doing so wouldn't make the first film any less shit, which your initial post implied that it would. That's all.

I have no idea what this problem you have with allowing a sequel to take backstory for granted and get on with something else is in this context: it took Kirby and Lee the best part of five years to set the stage for galactus, did it not?

Re-read my posts. Either you're wilfully misinterpreting me, or you just haven't grasped what I'm saying at all - which would be odd, because it's a very, very simple point. I have no problem with allowing a sequel to take a reasonable amount of backstory for granted - it'd be a perfectly sensible storytelling decision. But doing so wouldn't make the first film any less shit, which your initial post implied that it would. That's all.

Not quite: I implied that it doesn't matter a hoot if the first film's shit if it leads to a decent sequel. I'm obviously not the only one missing simple points, though I suppose you may have misinterpreted my statement that the original FF flick wasn't quite that bad given the context. My beef was more with you comparing the first FF to Constanteen, to be honest.

My beef was more with you comparing the first FF to Constanteen, to be honest.

Which I didn't do. I drew an analogy - I had no intention of comparing the quality of the two films, since, as I've already said, I haven't seen Fantastic Four. The only similarity required for my analogy to work was a generally-held attitude that the film wasn't a success, either as a comic adaptation or as a film in its own right.

This is getting a bit silly, though, for such a minor semantic misunderstanding on both our parts. Sorry.

Quite liked that myself, even if I can't muster the enthusiasm to go and watch the first film somehow. The Human Torch going "Cool!" and The Thing wiping away tears seem to be quite FF'ish in my opinion.

I much prefer Batman Returns to Batman, mostly for the reasons already stated about Jack Nicholson.

But also Christopher Walken & Danny DeVito make an interesting subplot to the REAL story.

As of today, I much prefer Constanteen 2: The Rise of the Swamp Thing, on account of it not existing (unlike that other one).

Also: Me Like Shiny Surfdude.

I just saw this movie and was pleasantly surprised. It was no where near sucking and was actually rather good. This was just a fun, family friendly, superhero adventure. This was also much better in leaps and bounds than the first movie and much better than Spider-Man 3. With no set-up needed they could get right down to the story of the FF saving the world. Much better special effects in this one also. All the characters acted like they are supposed to. No singing and dancing, and too much crying. All the actor were good and finding a more comfortable fit to their roles I thought. The exceptions being Andre Braugher who was wasted due to lack of good writing for him, and McMahon as Doom. Doom was ok and was acting the typical super-villian up to no good. The Surfer was handled amazingly well in terms of origin, which is straight from the comic, as well as his effects/powers. Fishburne did a great job on the voice. There were some funny moments most from Johnny, of course. Galactus was also done really well. There is no giant guy in a purple and pink outfit with a massive helmet. Instead he comes off more as an entity that really isn't seen directly. My only problem is the lack of build up to Galactus other than Norrin saying he is bad. I wanted to see Galactus destroy and bring terror to other planets before coming to Earth. And I wish they would have shown more details of Norrin origin than just having him tell about. But I can understand why the film makers would not want to because of time constraints.

Overall, it was a very entertaining movie.

That would've been cool, if before Galactus arrived on Earth, you just saw scenes in space of ravaged planets or planets being destroyed. No explanation, just a sense of mounting dread, that you'd know that whatever was happening was coming closer to Earth.

But, if they didn't actually show Galactus directly in the movie, it wouldn't have really added anything.

I like the idea of Galactus not being shown directly.

You did wonder how they were going to translate a giant in a purple space suit to an audience today.

In the comics, they eventually explained that Galactus doesn't actually look like that, but he takes a form that the inhabitants of a planet can recognize, so that's why he appeared humanoid to Earthlings.

But, it's still a joke, like in Ghost Busters, where the elder god takes on the form of the Marshmallow Man.

I mean, that explains why he looks like a giant humanoid, but why the purple space suit?

Actually I should say Galactus at first resembles a big cloud of space dust that sucks a planet dry. But just underneath it all, there are bits of mechanized parts that can be seen. So I understood it as somewhere inside this cloud, maybe a form of disguise, is a space vehicle and inside that is an entity known as Galactus. When he is seen, at least I thought it was him, he looks more like energy and his shilouette is that of his comic book likeness.

OK. That sounds like a great idea. That's how I'd envision Galactus. Ethereal, mechanical, sort of formless. I always thought Kirby's design took away from the character.

I just saw this movie today for $4 and it was quite good. As said above: fun, action packed, sweet effects, Surfer rules, family friendly, humorous and better than Spider Man 3. I liked it.

Laurence Fishburne delivers a rocking voice performance as the silver surfer. Being kiddie oriented the rest felt very cheesy. Fun but cheesy.

I didn't like this one either. I still found it boring. It was much better than the first film, but I was greatly disappointed, and it still left me bored.

The cheesiness factor was far too pronounced for my liking.

And, I just hated the fact that the movie focused on Dr. Doom again instead of on Galactus.

I liked the idea of making Galactus more into a force of nature than a big guy in a purple space suit after reading about it on here, but they treated Galactus more like a cosmic storm than an actual being in the movie.

Just a huge disappointment.

I don't usually talk about "what could have been" in movies, but this was just so badly messed up based on what I would've liked to see that I couldn't help but think I would've made this movie more like Independence Day to some extent. Yeah, that movie was horrible, but I think it would've been cool to have a large portion of the movie with Galactus just being outside the Earth's atmosphere, causing problems on Earth, people freaking out, wondering what that thing was.

Then I would've liked it if they would've had Galactus actually speak at the end.

And, Galactus was destroyed way too easily. It was all an afterthough. "OK Doom's dead again. Oh, wait! Wasn't there something else? Oh yeah, Silver Surfer go up there and take care of Galactus." 30 seconds later, "Well, Galactus is gone too. Let's go home."

The F.F. comics were really the high point of the Silver Age, and they had some of the most imaginative stories ever written in comics. They were in a word, fun.

The F.F. movies have just been the complete opposite of everything I think of with F.F.

Yawn!

I want to like every comic book based movie, but it just doesn't happen that way.

I popped in the DVD, and couldn't sit through it. After 20 min, I just had to turn it off. It was just SO bad. I'll try it again and hope I was just in the wrong state of mind.