Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Wanted

The film version of Mark Millar & JG Jones' 2003 limited series Wanted is under construction as we speak. Wesley Gibson is to be played by James McAvoy, from the British series Shameless (and not by Eminem, who was used as reference for the comic character). McAvoy commands a surprising amount of fan adulation for a man so weedy and unimpressive he reminds me of myself. ;) Morgan Freeman is said to be cast as well.

Wanted is one of mein favourite funnybooks, and pending how the trailers look, I'll probably pay to see this.

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=66182

http://www.comics2film.com/ProjectFrame.php?f_id=504

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16086

http://blog.newsarama.com/2006/12/11/milla...nted-the-movie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McAvoy

Wanted is one of mein favourite funnybooks

Really? Dude, I may have to seriously reconsider my hitherto-healthy respect for your tastes and opinions. And your moral fibre. And possibly your standards of personal hygiene.

I thought Wanted was entertaining. It seems like many folks really hated it. I really don't have any feelings one way or another regarding Slim Shady, so maybe that's why I found Wanted amusing. On another site some kid was raving about how great Wanted is and I had to squash his enthusiasm a bit, but I will probably rent a film version.

Overall Wanted was not very good. The art by was fantastic, but Millar's story, which sounded good to start with, got bogged down with Millar trying to out gross himself. All the gags/jokes about shit, homosexuality/heterosexuality, blood-n-guts, etc. became annoying very quick. It's not that some of that offended me, I would have preferred he focus on the story and characters than trying to see what "edgy" situation he could put them in next.

As with most of Millar's work, I wasn't remotely offended by his increasingly-desperate "look at mee!" attempts to be shocking and edgy. Just bored.

Millar shat away any real substance as the series progressed.

That crossing the fourth wall crap was the final straw for me.

I liked some of the ideas, especially how balance always kicks in even on a world run by Supervillians.

In the right hands the scene in which Wesley breaks down crying in the Police station (Reaching evil saturation point), could be quite something.

It could really do with a filmscript rewrite.

I do however think that this will work on film though.

Ofcourse it's probably just going to be some ultra-cool-stylised-gratuitous-Fight-Club rip off.

To be fair, it started promisingly, as with so many of Millar's projects. Like Testosterohne, though, I became more and more disillusioned as the book went on, and the final issue was just crap.

There's scope for a decent film in it, though, provided that Millar himself is kept well away from the adaptation.

Comics In Other Media

Merchandise! Video Games! Movies! See, comics are a legitimate form of entertainment!

Talk about stuff based on comics, just not actual comics.

Finger_fing06.gif

Wanted just opened in Australia without any fanfare. I haven't seen internet ads or anything — the first I knew of it was when I spotted the cinema's ad in the local newspaper.

One of you must be going to see it. Own up.

I've seen it.

It's simultaneously fucking awful and not half bad. As pointless violence and ocular chewing gum goes, it's rather good, but for anything deeper it fails fairly miserably. It's very well made, stylish, kinda like Bekmambetov's previous stuff, but the problems run a fair bit deeper than any amount of film-making flash can cover.

It bears little resemblance to the comics, in any case.

It bears little resemblance to the comics, in any case.

But...

It's simultaneously fucking awful and not half bad. As pointless violence and ocular chewing gum goes, it's rather good, but for anything deeper it fails fairly miserably. It's very well made, stylish, kinda like Bekmambetov's previous stuff, but the problems run a fair bit deeper than any amount of film-making flash can cover.

Most of that sounds like a perfect description of the comic to me.

It's a hard one to explain. It is, by any stretch of the imagination, the very definition of complete toss. A messy grab-bag of a film, pointless plot devices and generally, a distinct air of things being made up as they go. No-one wins any great acting honours, in particular, Freeman is phoning it in. At the same time...

It's a film with a scene that involves Ang Jolie powersliding a Dodge Viper through heavy traffic whilst popping off bullets at various bad lads. About 10 minutes in. And its not even the best such sequence in the film. As a collection of utterly, utterly ridiculous action scenes (It really is like a Tex Avery/Sam Raimi co-production of The Matrix at times) it's really quite hard to beat. The final shootout is rather glorious. It's no Hard Boiled mortuary scene, but it's close.

You'll never want to see it more than once, like, but for the two hours it's on, if you're not examining it in any kind of detail, it's the best kind of flashy, pointless, action bollocks. Quite definitely, it's "Good Shit"

It didn't help much that I was continually pulled out of whatever immersion the movie provided (not much) by the fact that Angelina Jolie looked like she hadn't eaten in a month. I heard she fainted nearly every day on set and I'd buy that. Casting her as an action heroine in this condition was not the smartest thing to do. I didn't really buy McAvoy in his role either.

I wouldnt call it 'good shit' but maybe just 'OK shit'. The story was just.....arg...I know you're not supposed to complain about stories in movies like this but it has been demonstrated time and again that even a solid skeleton of a story can elevate an action movie into much more entertaining heights. Here it's worse than many of the ultra low budget B movies I've seen. The Loom of Fate???? Holy shit.

Also, other than McAvoy, nobody in the movie changed expressions.

Like his previous works this was dire shit.

I peddled the comic book to some collegues who had just watched the film.

It even made the comic book look brilliant.

Which 'he', out of interest?

I haven't read or seen either version but one friend said the comics were actually quite mysogonist and another friend (whose fave films all have Michael Bay in common) thought the film was shit!

But it's got to be better than Shoot 'em up, right?

Whatchoo talkin' about Willis?

Shoot 'em up was awesome! In a dumb over the top action movie type way, Wanted however fails to deliver even in that.

I wouldn't say that the comic book was anymore misogynist than your typical comic book.

Which 'he', out of interest?

I haven't read or seen either version but one friend said the comics were actually quite mysogonist and another friend (whose fave films all have Michael Bay in common) thought the film was shit!

But it's got to be better than Shoot 'em up, right?

"He" being the gibberish ruskie director of Day and Night watch.

And as far as Mark Millar himself, half of Wanted, Ultimates Volume 1, Volume 2 and Wolverine: Enemy of the State are personally recommended.

Both Shoot Em Up and Wanted need to recede from my memory, but atleast I could oogle Monica Belucci.

I kind of liked Wanted, in both of its incarnations. It was a stupid action movie, but I wanted to see a stupid action movie, and as far as that goes, it was a pretty flashy looking one.

Quote the otter, who grew up on PG rated fare: "There was something...satisfying about seeing that much blood, that many people dying on screen. Kind of like 300."

Oh. Fuck yes.

I slightly (sliiightly) liked Wanted way back when I first read it, thought it way a comentary on the gore-n-violence exploitation genre devoid of actual meaning.

And then I read more of Millar's work.

I just illegally downloaded and watched it (loving 10 meg broadband, thank you Richard Branson).

There's as much nonsense in the movie as in the book but the nonsense in the movie in largely influenced by the the davinci code where as the nonsense in the book in largely influenced by Mark Millar being an arse.

The only serious problem I had with it (beside the fact it's a b movie) is that the effects budget seemed to run out towards the end with the cgi rats looking crap and the whole ending showdown not being as good as the opening fight of the film. Plus Morgan Freeman shouldn't be allowed to swear, it's wrong and he's a gentleman of too high a calibre to pull it off.

Final thought: we all know you're Scottish because you sound Scottish when you shout.

Plus Morgan Freeman shouldn't be allowed to swear, it's wrong and he's a gentleman of too high a calibre to pull it off.

Truly, when he said 'Oh, fuck' it sounded like it might have been the first time he ever said it.