The Fantastic Four?

The FF movie  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Vote!

• I read the Fantastic Four comics and I did not like the movie
    • I read the Fantastic Four comics and I liked the movie
    • I do/did not read the Fantastic Four comics and I did not like the movie
    • I do/did not read the Fantastic Four comics and I liked the movie

Other than some bits that plain did not make sense (how did they gat past the police cordon? Seriously?) and a story that almost completely lacked any proper heroism or antagonists, I thought the Fantastic Four movie was a bit wonky but mostly good fun. I certainly don't understand the outright hatred people have for it.

So go on: do you hate it or like it? And why?

I dont hate it, but many parts made me cringe.

If you overlook all those many flaws it can be fun tough, i guess.

At least the first two viewings didnt end me.

I absolutely hated it.

Poor direction (to be expected from what's-his-name); bad acting; inconsistent sfx (Mr. Fantastic was atrociously rendered); lack of a true or true-to-the-comics plot; lack of antagonist until I was already bored; terrible, terrible writing; a bad "take" on the storytelling (it was supposed to be a Beatles film meets superhero tale---- you know, all about being famous and whatnot); and just suckiness in general.

In all honesty I thought Daredevil was a better film. And that's just sad.

In regards to this poll, I said that I "don't/didn't read the FF comics," but I've bought/read a few issues over the years, including many of the early ones. Even though I grew up a "Marvelite" I never really cared for the FF or the Avengers. I was more into Spider-Man and the X-Men, both of whom have had far superior film adaptations. Even X3 was better than the first FF movie.

Guest spiderlegs

I read the Ultimate F4, but other than that, I was just a big fan of the Saturday morning cartoon in the 80s (and the really cheap one from the 60s). Still, I think that's more pedigree than merely not reading it and not liking the film.

1.) The cast sucked IMO. Johnny was the only one close, but he was still portrayed too over-the-top.

2.) Ben looked like a burn victim. I've made that known since seeing the film.

3.) The diting plodded along like there was at least 10-15 seconds of dead space to every scene.

4.) The bits that made no sense (which include many more scenes than the police cordon).

5.) This film SHOULD have been a fun popcorn flick, no brain required, but even a lobotomized deadhead would have gotten bored an hour into this film as dessert topping spilled.

But I like STAR WARS, so what the hell do I know? bonk.gif

Well, if you waited till about a month after it came out on cable and watched it on the weekend like I did, you would've found that it made a great Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Never read much of FF comics but I understood their importance in Marvel lore. I expected great things when I heard a movie was in the making. If Bryan Singer could weave together as huge a cast as he did with the X-Men movies and make them coherent, I expect more from a movie with 4 main characters and a single villain.

But on Saturday mornings after a hard week's work when I'm only half awake, I'll just turn off my brain and go for the ride.

Yeah, just to back up Gobiln's point I bought the DVD for £2 (that's $50,000 US) and watched it one lazy Sunday afternoon. I can imagine that if I'd payed six quid to see it at the cinema I would have been less forgiving.

I read the comics and I hated it.

I borrowed the DVD off of my cousin, by the way, so I saw it for free.

It was just boring. Nothing happened until the last 15 minutes, and I hated what they did to Dr. Doom.

I agree that D.D. was a better movie. I don't want to see the movie again, but I enjoyed the D.D. film the first time I saw it.

F.F. was better than the Hulk, but is the second weakest of all the new Marvel films so far (I haven't seen Punisher or X-Men 3).

Oh, and I didn't mind the fact that the F.F. weren't treated as straight out superheroes in the movie, because the F.F. shouldn't be straight out superheroes. In the comics originally they were a team of explorers/scientists who happened to keep stumbling across threats to Earth and used their super powers to defeat the enemy. Thing was bi-polar and Reed was usually an egotistical asshole and they drug Reed's girlfriend and her baby brother around with them on their adventures which is just plain irresponsible (I'm referring to the sexist heroine in peril portrayal of Sue here). They weren't the Avengers of the Justice League, and that's why I always enjoyed the F.F. better. They were imaginauts!

Guest spiderlegs
I can imagine that if I'd payed six quid to see it at the cinema I would have been less forgiving.

To me, that factors into the overall enjoyment. "Whew! At least I didn't pay full price, but it was OK when I had nothing better to do" is damning praise at the very least.

I just wish film directors would not always want to "make the film their own" but rather try and create something that excites and fulfills expectations of the fans. It's like maintaining authenticity is yucky to arrogant film directors when they SHOULD see it as a challenge (like good oul' Rodriquez did!)

I don't think the directors are entirely to blame there, though. Look also to the producers and writers.

I couldn't get into it. There were some aspects of the film that I really liked, but I still thought it was horrible. I didn't even notice that we've reached the final battle when they were fighting Doom until it was over.

It was pretty poorly done, especially Doom, but a nice way to whittle away a couple of hours and $1.50.

Terrible movie, but it was fun enough for me and the lady friend. Johnny Storm was better here than in most FF stories I have read. Doom won the worst translation to film award. Alba!

I prayed for Doom to kill the Fantastic Four so I wouldn't have to listen to their whining any more. Seriously.

In other words, I hated the movie.

In all honesty I thought Daredevil was a better film. And that's just sad.

That'd really be!

Ouch! I consider DD to be the worst comic to film EVER.

This dubious honour belongs to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie.