Sign in to follow this  
Tony B.

Open Letter to Sethos/Los Bros Hernandez Discussion

Sethos,

Would it be worth it to purchase the Locas collection and the Palomar collection? I first heard of Locas back in my punk days, but I could never justify the price. So far I've loved every Love and Rockets related book I've ever read; and I think it's time to shell out the $50 or whatever for Locas. If I really really like it, should I buy Palomar as well? Or maybe just a few of the smaller collections? Let me know!

Thanks,

Tony B.

I'm not Sethos, but for my money, the answer is a firm yes. The Locas and Palomar collections are fucking superb, and easily the best way to get hold of the bulk of Love & Rockets. There's some stuff which isn't collected in either volume, but they're still pretty comprehensive.

YES. though Locas suffers from a rough start (the first hundred pages or so are more scifi than punk), it becomes fucking awesome later on. Death of Speedy, Chester Square and others are among the best comics ever, in my opinion.

Palomar is pretty much completely excellent. the art is a lot rougher than the Locas stuff, but you get some fantastic Magic Realism storytelling and some of the best comic characters this side of, well, Maggie and Hopey.

so yeah, I'd buy them. Fantagrphics is reprinting L&R in manga sized books soon, but I think those will still end up being more expensive (and surely not as well crafted) as the two hardcovers together.

One thing though, and I cannot stress this enough: if you want the full Palomar experience, I'd recommend a seperate purchase of Poison River, Luba's origin story, which isn't included in the Palomar HC.