J. White

Hellblazer Solicitations for March 2005

HELLBLAZER #206

Written by Mike Carey, art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Lorenzo Ruggiero, cover by Tim Bradstreet.

A stand-alone story featuring guest art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Lorenzo Ruggiero. After his demon kids wipe out his friends and family, John prepares for a high-stakes ritual that he hopes will repair some of the damage. But when he asks Chas for help, his old friend goes on a rampage.

32 pages, $2.75, in stores on March 23.

That, or maybe takes the mentality of his teenage alter ego.

I guess that would be more like "tantram" though

Yeah, I was wondering about the disconnect between the angsty cover and Camuncoli's art. I like his style a lot, but if this is supposed to be a dramatic, weighty issue I have serious doubts about the decision to get him to draw it.

Nice to see that the kids aren't going to be polished up at the end of this arc.

I didn't see anything said about Constantine's demon children still being around. But I am glad that Chas IS still around. Besides if anyone needs to let out some of his anger, it'll be Chas.

whoa, whoa, whoa... friends and family?!

and yes, Camuncoli maybe isn't appropriate for a dramatic issue, really... it'd be like getting Marc Hempell to do it, only a bit sketchier...

That solicitation makes it sound like the kids kill off everyone close to John, except Chas (who doesn't seem quite right if he's going on a "rampage")!

I don't think John will be in the best shape after that.....

I didn't see anything said about Constantine's demon children still being around.  But I am glad that Chas IS still around.  Besides if anyone needs to let out some of his anger, it'll be Chas.

You're right. I misread "after" as, er, "as."

This - "John prepares for a high-stakes ritual that he hopes will repair some of the damage" - makes me fear wholesale slaughter followed by mass resurrections which would be a terrible misstep in my mind.

Have faith, it'll probably go wrong and make things worse.

Or he'll fily around the world in the oppostie direction to the way it's spinning until time goes back to a point when he can save everyone.

Sorry, wrong character.

So when do you think the writers are going to come out with exactly what Chaz is? He's got to have some sortt of mystical neutrality; he's generally not sucked into Constantine's bad shit, even though his mum was the fucking terrifying Queenie. It's like he's some sort of magic and psychic 'off limits' sign, with something to back it up.

And there's a thought--what if the Chandler family Power Gene only works for women?

I guess because he mostly stays out of Constantine's magical affairs (except in a chauffeur capacity) he's never seen as a target. What use could some thuggish cab-driver be to a magus like Constantine? It's only now Constantine's weaknesses have been laid bare to his children that the importance of Chas as an emotional crutch have come to light and as a result, he's made the hit list.

Guest spiderlegs
And there's a thought--what if the Chandler family Power Gene only works for women?

That's sort of like the Simpson intelligence gene is only passed along to the females. Remember when Lisa thought she was getting dumber?

But, Chas is John's best friend; and the most important person ever in John's life other than Kit and Gemma (and we all know about girlfriends and their leaving you when you need them most, betrayers the lot of them!, while best friends are always around for you....when you're not fighting.)

Hmmmmm...I can't remember if John and Chas were mates during Rake At The Gates Of Hell, didn't they make up just before hand ? Makes you wonder why the First didn't go after everyone's favourite Taxi driver at the time.

Because The First's mission was to seize Gabriel's heart, not to fuck around with John's mates. He killed Rick to find out where the heart was being kept and then Nigel because he was the one guarding it. Header bought it in a fight in a Caligula club, unconnected to The First.

Absolutely. His overriding mission was to get to John, to be fair, but as James points out, in order to do this he needed to eliminate Gabriel (who was John's 'ace in the hole', or so he thought), to give him a clear run at him. He didn't mind slaughtering whichever of John's mates got in the way in order to do this, and certainly wasn't above using their deaths to score a few cheap points while gloating (particularly Nigel, given that his "mwahahaha...my victory is inevitable, you'll never stop me n...wha?" speech is delivered over said mate's body), but that's not the focal point of his plan.

Hmmmmm...I can't remember if John and Chas were mates during Rake At The Gates Of Hell, didn't they make up just before hand ?  Makes you wonder why the First didn't go after everyone's favourite Taxi driver at the time.

Rake practically starts with John getting Chas to help him with that junkie ex-girlfriend of his, remember?

why not get Ade/Mark to ship ya a copy of the entire HB collection on 3 cd's, it might help you with the website illustrations too, plus you'd be totally legal, you'd only have ciopies of all the issues you already have... ;)