A. Heathen

Eagle Award nominations

That time already ?

Favourite Comics Writer: Ennis' Kev stuff throughout the year was as entertaining as ever and the end to the rcent series brought things to a decent end. The Boys was disappointing and I still don't get the Punisher love.

Grant Morrison wrapped up 7Soldiers and got started on the pretty awesome All-Star Superman. His opening issues of The Authority and Wildcats were both pretty good.

Ed Brubaker's the big rising star at the mo, folks can't get enough of his stuff but I haven't really been feeling his stuff since the end of Sleeper. Some of the prison bits in Daredevil were alright but the ultimate end of that story - returning DD to his ages old status quo - turned me off.

I think the only Carey comic I read last year was Crossing Midnight #1, I still haven't gotten around to reading the last Lucifer trade that came out. Oh, I read his X-stuff there a few weeks ago, that was alright.

Gaiman's Eternals was, for the most part, utter pants. Gorgeous art though.

Warren Ellis. Well, for all my recent bitching about the chap, he brought the comics last year - Fell, Desolation Jones and Nextwave were all really good reads. newuniversal and Thunderbolts point to a dodgy 2007 but, from that list, he's my choice for 2006. End of Planetary was craptacular though.

Favourite Comics Writer/Artist: I don't think I touched any of their work during 2006, unless Andi Watson's Paris #1 came out during that period ?

Favourite Comics Artist: Pencils: Bryan Hitch will walk this, though parts of the last few issues of The Ultimates have been well shoddy.

Of course, having said that, my own obvious choice - Leo Manco - had some patchy moments too so what the fuck am I gibbering about ? Anyway, Leo on Hellblazer is still a dream-come-true and he does draw a mean army man.

Favourite Comics Artist: Inks: Wouldn't no a good one from a bad one.

Favourite Comics Artist: Fully-Painted Artwork: Haven't sampled much, if any, of that lot's work either this year. Fabry's covers have become quite average, he could do with stealing himself off and coming back with some kick-arse project. Bisley's art always makes me laugh, don't know what it is, something about it just tickles my funny bone - don't mean that in a bad way either.

Favourite Colourist: In the spirit of Time, you! Anyone who picked up the black'n'white version of Nextwave and coloured it in. Please, enjoy your Eagle.

Favourite Letterer: Seriously ?

Favourite Editor: Axel Alonso, for following his dream and getting out of the ghetto of inventive, genre-defining works so he could shephard the likes of Mark Millar through their Spider-Man books. Keep on living the life Axel, hope you get a raise this year that makes it all worth while.

Favourite Publisher: Image for Fell, Walking Dead, Casanova and The Pirates Of Coney Island. Marvel probably deserve it for the sales juggernaut that is Civil War.

Stops for breath, there's far too many bloody options

Favourite Colour Comicbook - American: Close call between Casanova, DMZ, Nextwave and All Star Superman. DMZ reads great in clumps but Nextwave makes me laugh, so well done to The Captain and company.

Favourite Colour Comicbook - British: Jack Staff is published by an American company! Hopefully Mamtor will win, so they have something nice to put on the tombstone.

Favourite Black and White Comicbook - American: Know a lot of people have soured on it but The Walking Dead still presses my buttons so it's an easy winner here.

Favourite Black and White Comicbook - British: Phonogram will win both the British and American ones, cause that's just the way the Eagle's work. Haven't heard of any of the other British entries.

Favourite New Comicbook: Odd list that, DMZ though it took a while to draw me in.

Fuck me, it goes on for another half-page, might come back later then.

I nominated:

Best Writer: GRANT MORRISON (Hit and Miss but he was everywhere in 2006. The Buzz master.)

Writer/Artist: ALAN DAVIS (First in my head really)

Artist: LEONARDO MANCO (Home team bias. Mostly Quality backed up by sheer quantity of output. Unlike Bryan Hitch. Daredevil's Lark would have worked too.)

Inker: PAUL NEARY (Do I have this confused with colourist?)

Painter: ALEX ROSS (Bradstreet close second ). It's my Justice and JSA overuling though).

Favourite Letterer: UM...

Favourite Colourist: DAVE STEWART(Probably have this mixed with Inker?)

Favourite Comics Company: DC (No doubt)

Favourite Brit Ongoing: 2000AD

B+W US Comic: LOCAL

New Comic: CRIMINAL (Wasn't completely blown away by #1 and #2, but I think this definitely will get better)

Favourite Series/Ongoing: JUSTICE

Favourite Cover: (Haven't thought it out enough here but...)JUSTICE #4 (Tim's Punisher Covers have been consistntly ace, I just can't bring a specific one to mind)

Favourite OGN: PRIDE OF BAGHDAD(From what I've read and the lack of anything else I can think of really. Probably because I also believe that Vaughn deserves something too.

Favourite reprint: ABSOLUTE KINGDOM COME

Favourite Character: JOHN CONSTANTINE (HELLBLAZER)(The title may have fluctuated, but Mina's Con Job has been great throughout).

Credit to Ennis's consistant development of Frank Castle too.

Favourite Comics Movie :SUPERMAN RETURNS (The best of a bad bunch really, if it had been Favourite Comics Mulimedia Project it would have been Marvel Ultimate Alliance)

Comics News Website: NEWSARAMA

Roll of Honour: STEVE GERBER (Probably more by reputation alone, oh and Manthing! )

Favourite Comics Writer: Peter David

Favourite Comics Writer/Artist: Mike Mignola

Favourite Comics Artist: Pencils: Philip Tan

Favourite Comics Artist: Fully-Painted Artwork: Simon Bisley

Favourite Colourist: Laura Martin

Favourite Publisher: Marvel

COMICS and GRAPHIC NOVELS

Favourite Colour Comicbook - American: X-Factor

Favourite New Comicbook: JLA

Favourite Comics Story published during 2006: Detective Comics #826

Favourite Comics Cover published during 2006: AS Superman #5

CHARACTERS

Favourite Comics Character: Multiple Man (X-Factor)

RELATED MEDIA

Favourite Comics-Based Movie Or TV: Heroes

Favourite Web-Based Comics: Newsarama

ROLL OF HONOUR: Warren Ellis

Writer:Morrison

Writer/Artist:Andi Watson

Artist:JH Williams III

Artist (painted): Alex Ross

Publisher:Marvel (outside of Morrison, DC just didn't have a lot of books that really caught my interest)

Favourite Comic:All-Star Superman

Favourite Comic Story:Seven Soldiers

Favourite OGN: The Fountain (toss up between that and Pride of Baghdad. I didn't think they gave a lot of good choices on their list)

Favourite Reprint:Pizzeria Kamikaze!

Comic Character:John Constantine

Favourite Villain:Joker (he had a few good stories over the past year, even though I think he's passed his sale-by date)

Roll of Honour:Steve Gerber!

For your consideration: D'Israeli for Favourite Comics Artist: Fully-Painted Artwork, for his exquisite work on Scarlet Traces: The Great Game.

Sample image 1

Sample image 2

Sample image 3

How did Phonogram make it into the Black and White Comic Book sections, given that nominees must be "established prior to, but continuing into 2006"? Phonogram issue 1 was dated August 2006. Presumably it'll be culled when a human checks the nominations. It's in the Favourite New Comicbook section as well! And it's a load of cock.

Er, is that painted then? Looks like computer colouring on inks to me.

Well, that's what I thought too; but someone's already nominated him in the Fully-Painted Artwork category, so I figured "roll with it". :) Besides, he doesn't fit better into any of the other categories.

Guest spiderlegs
How did Phonogram make it into the Black and White Comic Book sections, given that nominees must be "established prior to, but continuing into 2006"? Phonogram issue 1 was dated August 2006. Presumably it'll be culled when a human checks the nominations. It's in the Favourite New Comicbook section as well! And it's a load of cock.

There were several like that. Why was "The Boys" in that category? It started in Aug 2006, yet it was included in the "prior to and continuing in 2006" category. I finks they was jus' erruhs...

I'd rather people voted for someone important in the Roll of Honour, but of course, Just 1 Page even IF you can think of something better in that category.

For the record,why can't we vote in Leonardo manco as best artist or best penciler?

Because he's neither, obviously.

For the record,why can't we vote in Leonardo manco as best artist or best penciler?

Unless I'm mistaken he isn't on the list.

You can nominate anyone you want. Those "lists" just keep track of who's been nominated so far. You'll notice they change daily.

The awards close 28 February. If you've been putting off nominating, now's the time to get cracking.

Someone nominated Jon Vankin for Best Editor. Who was it? Own up.