JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #228

19 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #228

Perhaps due to lack of preparation or ripping it out of contest (Dropped the title at 219, liked it until then, just ran out of money), but this felt like a fucking parody, as though some Disney writer would have thought up this issue- I scratched my head upon events (A soccer game deciding the fate of earth?) and dialogues ("No, we cant. Ive sworn off sacrificing my friends!" Ugh.) alike- I love humour, but this was a bit too silly and lighthearted. Page 20 and 23 plus the intro were cool, though.

And nice use of Schadenfreude!

But fuck, how shyte Mancos art gets when not having enough time on his hands!

With an ok storyline it was bareable, but here it only amplified my disappointment (Funny looking faces).

Credit were credit is due, greatly colored cover.

Oh and besides, John did know: Before we found out or anything happened, he said "England will lose" and two panels afterwards "Dont worry" and smiled. He faked not knowing theyre Scottish because, he didnt "Want to get a name as know-all".

I misplaced my copy of #228 so I can't write about this issue in any detail. I'm also hindered in that because this issue was so unmemorable (in sharp contrast with Carey's last issues). It seemed like more of the same from recent issues, bouncing back and forth between subplots so that no drama tension ever built up. The assension of Chris Cole into the masterhood of the Third Place had amazingly little emotional impact, which I've very sure was the opposite of what Mina intended. Yeah, Gemma bawling like a little kid just wasn't right. Altogether, Mina has been handling too many characters over the last few issues too shallowly rather than focusing hard on a few well-known ones. And truly, someone other than Constantine (like homeboys Steve Evans or Chris Cole) should have been able to guess that the locals would be overjoyed if England lost. All this is topped off by Manco's art not being of finale quality.

It was just a mess. I'm sure there were some strong elements in it, but overall it just wasn't strong enough to be the end of a year long arc.

I'll try to find my copy so I can grade it, sometime soon hopefully. (I say hopefully only because I'll probably find my lost Criminal #4 when I find HB #228.)

To be fair, I think they were working on the assumption that most of the Glaswegians were dead or in no fit state to pay attention to footy matches, while the soldiers were all tuned in and there en masse.

The bigger question is, as John McMahon noted, why nobody could pick up on the soldiers' accents. Someone must've heard them discussing the football.

I tend to agree with some of the more positive posts, I quite liked it in fact - although I was actually expecting the joy to emanate from the rest of Scotland rather than the soldiers and I did wonder about whether the accents were audible to anyone before the reveal but felt that was just being too picky for what was a pretty good wrap up, it's just that it took way too long, with too many unnecessary supporting characters and diversions, to get to (as has been pointed out). Overall I liked the first half of Empathy and the last couple of Red Hand but agree that it got lost in the middle, I sort of hope Denise doesn't give up on the medium but maybe it's a lesson in writers trying some one shots before diving into an established series?

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the one shot - Carey and Leon woohoo - and I'm quietly optimistic that Andy Diggle might inject some much needed (in my view) grittiness back into the general storyline, it's interesting to hear the views of some thinking the title needs a rest before returning with the odd mini series here and there, my head probably agrees but my heart still wants the monthly fix.

7 for this issue.

edit - brilliant cover by the way but what the fuck is Suzie Quatro doing there?

They would certainly have heard "Ha ha ! That wee Shrek shite's been sent auf !"

Possibly the best line of dialogue never to appear in an issue of Hellblazer.

Ade's New Fanny Fiction: Things said by people in crowds in the backgrounds in comics #2.

"Fuckin' 'ell, isn't that Simon Pegg ?"

(Name that comic.)

Ade's New Fanny Fiction: Things said by people in crowds in the backgrounds in comics #2.

(Name that comic.)

The Boys?

(Name that comic.)

The Boys?

Winner !

2. "Fuckin' 'ell, isn't that Sting?"

... I sort of hope Denise doesn't give up on the medium but maybe it's a lesson in writers trying some one shots before diving into an established series?

You're right, but — and I'm sorry to labour this point — isn't the editor supposed to, um, edit the scripts?

Don't worry, I've been labouring that point for about six months now. And I don't think one-shots would t tell her enough about how to pace for a monthly comic. Hell, the one that she did was a mess anyway.

What she - or anyone new to the medium - needs is someone who's going to walk her through from initial story pitch to final issue, and I don't think she got that this time around.

I remember reading an interview with Mike Carey where he said that whenever he pitched a Lucifer story to Shelly Bond she's ask him if it could be made shorter. I don't know what a Bond-edited Mina Hellblazer run would've looked like but I suspect I would have enjoyed it a wee bit more.

Also I get the strong impression from Chris Cole's body and some seriously dodgy panels in the latter half of her run that Manco's just taking the piss these days and needs someone to give him a clip around the ear.

Im a bit late but what the hey only got my copy yesterday...

gave it a 5....so ends Mina's yarn...

Got a chuckle from the Scotish Connection and a nice wink a nod in the beginning "stupid" splash page felt like old John to me....

Interested to see if a writer will pick up on the third place and Cole in a few years time...

Eargerly awaiting Mr Diggle's first issue...