krix

Constantine: a movie by Warner Brothers

It's true, they went and made a Hellblazer movie. Whether you're pleased or pissed about it, here's the facts:

The movie, made by Warner Brothers studios, is directed by Francis Lawrence.

Constantine Official Site, where the trailer can be found.

The cast (from imdb.com):

Keanu Reeves .... John Constantine

Rachel Weisz .... Angela Dodson/Isabel Dodson

Shia LaBeouf .... Chaz Chandler

Djimon Hounsou .... Papa Midnite

Max Baker .... Beeman

Pruitt Taylor Vince .... Father Hennessy

Gavin McGregor Rossdale .... Balthazar (as Gavin Rossdale)

Tilda Swinton .... Gabriel

Michelle Monaghan .... Ellie

Peter Stormare .... Satan, The 1st of the Fallen

(full credits available at IMDB)

The film, which has some plot taken from Dangerous Habits, is set mainly in Los Angeles and it's hellish alter-dimension.

It's currently in post-production, due for release in February of 2005.

Edit by John Mc - For the latest on Constantine, check out the Movie section of the Staight To Hell website.

ah, so now we're back to Phase 1 on the new boards - denial. Then comes anger, keanu/shia-hating, then the humor defense mechanism kicks in, and later on, i wind up desecrating Bradstreet covers with Keanu's mug... :p

Then comes anger, keanu/shia-hating, then the humor defense mechanism kicks in, and later on, i wind up desecrating Bradstreet covers with Keanu's mug... :p

Sacrilege! Next you'll be editing out John's cigarettes and adding packs of nicoret gum, maybe turning his pint into a rootbeer float.

you want on topic?

So, what do you think of the movie so far, AngieIs?

I'm not allowed to talk about that anymore. When I do my roommate hits me and threatens to burn my Brandon Lee collection (but just between you and me I think it's a big steaming pile of shit and I'd be REALLY happy if it never came out).

Ah, Brandon Lee?

Okay actor, but he played in a lot of crap movies... :(

i concur. But that Dolph Lundgren yokie was an eyesore... plus all the not-so-discretely implied homosexuality...

<<SHUDDER>>

but no more straying off-topic here either.

For the uneducated - what are your main beefs with the movie incarnation of John Constantine, Angie? I'd like a nice, long, well+-elaborated explanation, since most of these threads are starting from scratch, and new members that will come here following thr movie hype might be interested in our views, that have in the meantime been left behind on the old boards...

ahem,

I believe the current incarnation of the Constantine movie betrays both the spirit and the storyline of the comic.

By pursuing a PG-13 rating I believe Warner Brothers is misleading people who will watch the movie, like it (since they're 13) and then find out that they aren't even legal to buy the real books. At the same time they're disenfranchising the loyal readers who expect to hear John curse and swear and just generally betray himself as the bastard he is. You know WB will decide to make their Keanu Reeves character the good guy, but one of the most fascinating parts of Hellblazer has always been the fact that John Constantine really is an anti-hero. He saves the day occasionally, but usually with a bodycount. He's a self-centered bastard who uses people and tends to get them hurt.

By making John American, I believe that Warner Brothers have made us (americans) look bad ONCE AGAIN (and it's not like we need any help) by essentially stating that we selfrightouse imbecils won't watch a movie unless it's about us (if I could, I'd point out to them the success of movies like "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," "Trainspotting," or for that matter "Snatch" (which WANTED to be British). I might also point out that as far as their hormone driven teenage girl market goes, girls like accents! Look at how much mileage James Marsters got out of a fake one.) They've damaged the spirit and the storyline by refusing to accept what an integral part John's nationality and his political beliefs have played in the comic. They've also killed some of the color, some of the life. Hellblazer loses some of its mystery (to those of us who still romanticise London) when it is transplanted into the very modern (in my opinion very un-magical) city of Los Angeles.

fuck it, I'm tired of being rational. I don't like it, they're screwing with something that I love and it makes me VERY ANGRY.

Nice succinct post Krix, I edited it to include a pointer to the movie section of my own site.

Having read the script, I think that Constantine will find a market - taken on its own merits it reads like a half-decent action thriller with strong occult trappings stappled onto it.

When viewed as an adaptation of Hellblazer I believe that it fails, mainly due to a terrible misreading of the main character wherein the man who once uttered "I Don't fuckin Care about God's Will" and meant it, is now cast as a God Botherer of the highest order and someone who's desperate to win his way into God's good books. Despite what countless interviews with the director and cast may suggest, the biggest stumbling block for readers of the comic isn't that Movie Constantine isn't Blonde or is American, it's that at heart he isn't the same character as John Constantine.

If nothing else though, I've spoken with some really nice fans of the various actors involved with the movie who I wouldn't have met otherwise.

Guest Guest_Sting_*
Having read the script, I think that Constantine will find a market - taken on its own merits it reads like a half-decent action thriller with strong occult trappings stappled onto it.

When viewed as an adaptation of Hellblazer I believe that it fails, mainly due to a terrible misreading of the main character wherein the man who once uttered "I Don't fuckin Care about God's Will" and meant it, is now cast as a God Botherer of the highest order and someone who's desperate to win his way into God's good books. Despite what countless interviews with the director and cast may suggest, the biggest stumbling block for readers of the comic isn't that Movie Constantine isn't Blonde or is American, it's that at heart he isn't the same character as John Constantine.

With all due respect.... What was edited from the film in the early sequences was his con artist dealings with the demon (Ellie) which he finished sleeping with. John attempts to con hell first and then sees that he is not getting anywhere and decides to go after heaven. In all fairness, that whole scene/shot sequence was edited out. Thus, not depicting John wheeling and dealing with "both" sides to see who will bite. The manner it was captured was that he didn't care which side he gained favor (knowing he is dying of lung cancer) as long as he saves his own ass. Unfortunately, that helll piece was edited out tipping the balances at John only trying to con heaven. Maybe on the DVD release that edited sequence will be incorporated since both the director and Keanu are familiar with the essence of the character.

With all due respect.... What was edited from the film in the early sequences was his con artist dealings with the demon (Ellie) which he finished sleeping with.

That scene wasn't in the script I read. All he does is ask Ellie to "keep [her] ear to the ground" for any news about demons trying to come through into our reality. No con, no "deleted scene", no apocrypha stricken from the Constantine Canon.

The manner it was captured was that he didn't care which side he gained favor (knowing he is dying of lung cancer) as long as he saves his own ass.

John quite definitely puts his faith in god at the climax of the movie, and don't forget John's final monologue: "God has a plan for all of us. I had to (edited for spoilers) Just to figure that out. Like the book says, he works in mysterious ways. ...Some people like it. Some people don't."

The director and Keanu have no fucking idea.

An essay has to consist of more than three words, Tom.

:lol: :ph34r:

I was going to write something about the movie but I think everything was pretty much covered in the old forum.

Going to wait til I see it before I write it off.

and don't forget John's final monologue: "God has a plan for all of us. I had to (edited for spoilers) Just to figure that out. Like the book says, he works in mysterious ways. ...Some people like it. Some people don't."

umm... isn't this, WORD FOR WORD what Keanu used to describe John's character in all those interviews, merely substituting "I" with "HE"...?

or something similart - i remember hearing this already, more than once...

Yeah, he quoted it a few times but tobe fair it was usually prefaced with "there's this line...", and possibly the word "Constantinian."

An essay has to consist of more than three words, Tom.

Funny fucker, eh?

I'll have you know I deleviered several belting sermons on the old forum.

I think I managed not to swear in one of them too.

Yeah, he quoted it a few times but tobe fair it was usually prefaced with "there's this line...", and possibly the word "Constantinian."

still - a bit of a bad sport, to quote a spoilerish LAST LINE of the friggin' movie...

mind you, it'll probably be slapped on top of the full trailer, so it's not his fault...