Christian

What is the Oldest Comic You Own?

I'm wondering (as the title states), what is the oldest individual comic book you own?

My oldest comic is Strange Tales #11 (I think it's from 1955). That is the only Golden Age comic I own. I found a copy at an antique store for $15.00 when I was a wee lad (probably about age 12?). It was in very good condition, and they obviously didn't realize that very old comics can be worth money, so it was a great find.

After that, my next oldest is Fantastic Four #8.

I'm positive that F.F. #8 is older than (Uncanny) X-Men #2, but if I'm wrong, then (Uncanny) X-Men #2 is actually my next oldest.

I've a couple of issues of Battle from the late 70s....comics suffer a lot around me, the best they can really hope for is not getting stood on when I'm wearing boots, so the odds of anything old and brittle surviving in the environs of my flat really aren't good at all.

Couple of Superman issues from the mid-'50s - piss-poor condition, but I'm still happy to have 'em. They were a gift from a friend a year or two back.

Beyond that, I've got shelves full of old UK Annuals from the '70s back at my parents' house - mainly Eagle and The Beano, with at least one Roy Of The Rovers and assorted lesser titles thrown in.

I've got Amazing Spiderman #41 with the first Rhino appearance. I found it as a kid at a garage sale and snatched it up.

I have The Atom #'s 7-11 from 1963. I picked them up cheap somewhere. I have an older friend who has some of the old valuable golden and silver age stuff (1st Spiderman, 1st Joker app., 1st Robin, 1st FF, etc.) He had them out of the bank vault to do some trading and I got the chance to look them over. Very cool, but fooking nerve racking as well. Handling comics that are brittle, old, and expensive is not my cup o tea.

It's either Fantastic Four #144, which I think might be late sixties or early seventies, or some issue of The Avengers where they're fighting the Zodiac. The latter is absolutely terrible condition.

I have one early issue of each of the following titles:

Fantastic Four

X-Men

Superman (2 issues!)

Spider-Man

Everything else is 1970--present.

94949295440.42.gif

First comic I ever bought. It was from the 7-11 down the street from my house and I was 7 years old in the second grade. I can tell you every word in it and could probably draw every seen straight from memory.

It's in horrible condition. ;)

Guest spiderlegs

I have the first 30 or so original STAR WARS series MARVEL ran concurrent to the films.

Mike Grell's original WARLORD.

A few METAL MEN comics.

The TEEN Titans reboot in the early 80s, issue #1 (which was left at my house by a former roommate).

Some old WHITMAN comic movie adaptations of THE BLACK HOLE and something else or other. CHIP N DALE, Scrooge the Duck, some shit like that.

BATMAN, SUPERMAN, SPIDER-MAN loose issues.

Micronauts.

All from the late 70s/early 80s.

None of them are in any sort of decent shape: the WARLORD comics were actually salvaged from a fire at a convenience store (remember when 7-11 sold comics? for $.35?!?!?). My SW comics found themselves at the wrong place when something sprung a leak, and the others are worn past their staples even trying to cling to their covers any more. The TEEN TITANS issue is in decent shape. I'd call it below average, but readable. It stayed in a bag for its duration but the bag had no card, so it has bent and gotten a few dog ears. This is how it would look had I taken care of it:

newteentitans1.jpg

I have an issue of Justice League of America from 1964. I have a lot of Silver Age comics, but that is the oldest.

I have a few older than this, but my pride and joy is Fantastic Four 48-50, the Galactus and Silver Surfer launch.

Quite right too. The best story from the best run on any superhero comic ever.

I want to get FF 48-50 professionally graded, though I am usually against such things, because they are really nice shape. Then I can buy that condo I've had my eye on.

I have F.F. 49 & 50, but don't have #48....

I saw a copy at a store for $180 dollars, and they were having a half-off sale at the time, so I thought I'd finally buy a copy, but it turned out that the small-print said that the sale only applied to comics $100 or under, so my hope was crushed.

..but it turned out that the small-print said that the sale only applied to comics $100 or under, so my hope was crushed.

OOO I HATE THAT!! I've encountered the same problem more than once.

I don't have much interest in old comics as such, so I'm really not sure how old my oldest book is.

The only way I get old comics these days is by buying a badly beat up one cheap because I want a cheap read. So that should answer the other question: none are in anything approaching good condition.

I own a fair number of comics, but don't consider myself a "collector".

The oldest comic I ever owned was a Tijuana Bible from the 40s, do those count? I also had the arabic edition of the first X-Men ever from the late sixties, maybe I still have it somewhere.

The oldest one I own currently is Wolverine #42. Sad, but true.