3) 100 Bullets

2) Green Lantern

1) Starman

Agree with the list?

Disagree?

Additions?

Completely different list?

It's a pretty poor list.

Sorry but if you can have a star wars comic, you can have Arkham Asylum to name but Arkham Asylum.

I'll give them 100 Bullets and Jonah Hex, but I'd rather Starman stays unfilmed.

Let me be the first to suggest Hellblazer should be on that list.

What comics do I think deserve a go at being ruined by film makers ?

Chase, Sandman Mystery Theatre and Transmetropolitan.

Gerry Anderson should have a crack at Ministry of Space.

And if we bring teleovision into play (best for 100 Bullets for sure), I'll add the following:

Y The Long Face, (Morrison's) Doom Patrol, Xombi and (heh heh heh) Global Frequency.

Bearing in mind the criteria set-out in the original article....

Transmetropolitan : A reminder of fonder times, when journalists would strive to oust ne'er do-well politicians, but set in the future and with barcode nipples.

Invincible : What if Superman had a son...oh...sorry. Basically a cross between Spider-Man and Superman with added exploding head-punches.

Strangehaven : One for television this - kind of a British Lost.

I've always thought Robo Hunter would work well on film: the Verdus number in particular is a very contained and tidy story that'd fit beautifully in a couple of hours if they did a half decent job on the robot designs and managed to cast Slade reasonably (twice). There's very little in the script to fuck up as well, though that wouldn't necessarily deter anybody from trying.

As I've said many times on this board, I think a 100 Bullets television series on something like HBO would make me weep tears of joy.

I think Ex Machina would be great, but I remember something about it possibly being made into a movie or series last year. I'm not sure if that's gone anywhere since.

If we can include telly then I'd second Strangehaven (surely a British Twin Peaks?) and add a non-shit Preacher and 100 Bullets. No way you could do the latter justice as a film or even a series of films.

My top 5 in no order at all:

01) The Invisibles - Bigger explosions than Bond, smarter metaphysics than the Matrix and creepier conspiracies than even the real Government has. Take all the groovy, easily-accessible bits from the second volume, stir in some of the more trippy stuff from the third - not too much, mind - and sprinkle in a few thousand more bullets. Could get highbrow respect as well as action fan kudos. And it would be massive in Japan.

02) The Forty-Niners - Start as in the comic, then run the credits over scenes of Neopolis being built by supermen and robots, then have someone rewrite to buggery the rest of it so it hangs together properly. Goodbye time-travel nonsense! Hello proper build-up to the bombing raid! Sin City-style greenscreen would take care of the more outlandish bits and likely save a wodge of cash, too. Some people might moan about the gay relationship, but they'd be [over-used word]s. And you could build up the other characters to provide safe heterosexual ground for the execs.

03) Vimanarama - Get a bunch of British backers to fund it, build up the relationship/kitchen sink storyline in the first half hour or so to save on SFX and make sure that Ali's family is more closely tied to the big apocalyptic action (have Atlantis lodged under Bradford Ice Rink or something instead of New York... and have a relative of his in the British Army). It's the new Bend it Like Beckham, only lads won't mind watching it either. And don't worry about the effects - make everything purposely bright and shiny and the unreality can become part of the story.

04) The Authority - Woosh! Bang! Just remember to put in some dialogue. And change Jenny Spark's origin a wee bit so she can still be around after the new century passes (or just set it in 2001).

05) Human Target - Just adapt the Milligan miniseries. It's great.

The two that the execs wouldn't touch, but really would be great:

The Filth - Seriously, collapsing and cutting huge chunks of the comic could actually create a really good two-hour film. The only problem is that the comic is lean as is, so some of the good stuff would have to go. No more Anders Klimakks... sigh. And get Terry Gilliam behind the camera; it even has his "man can't figure out whether to live in a dream or in reality" motif. And have all the 'real life' sections filmed in grim Eastenders-o-vision and all the Filth bits in spangly Technocolor. Also: Ade's talk of using Thunderbird puppets is just mental and should be ignored.

Lucifer - The title character would kill any chance of getting money, but if you took some shears to the flab and compressed some storylines here and there, you could get a good Lord of the Rings style epic trilogy out of it.

As much as I love the Lucifer series, I'm not sure I can see it being done as anything other than a cartoon. The setting and characters especially just seem so grand that there's no budget that could support it.

We've had this (or very similar discussions) and I'm sure I'm just repeating my list (or portions thereof), but here goes:

Adam Strange (Farscape meets Star Wars, it would be a nice way to bring a space opera down to earth and to bring big budget space movies back from the brink.)

Nathaniel Dusk (Noir all the way, baby.)

Dr. Fate (this one would be the most problematic, but it could be interesting in the right hands). Dr. Strange could also be done properly, although it always seems difficult for Hollywood to come up with nasty, mystical bad guys.

Amethyst (we've seen that the kiddies like Harry Potter, and Narnia so lets give the girls somebody to root for, and a whole new pop princess to over-market to death)

Deadman (could be all kinds of fun, it's a movie that could have a nice balance between heavy, dark revenge and silliness)

Cinder and Ash (easily workable as there aren't a lot of super duper special effects and doesn't have to be marketted to comic geeks only)

Cloak and Dagger (yes it's very dated and I'm sure people here have a problem with the strict anti-drugs stand, but at the time I always thought this would make for an interesting adaptation, plus it would hit all the right buttons with Hollywood marketing types, young teenage types, check; ethnically mixed team, check; urban roots therefore cool music and clothes, check, etc.)

I'm sure there are plenty more that would work, but they're not coming to mind at the moment. Oh, and the list doesn't include characters like the Human Target who have already been brought to life on film (even they were completely corrupted in the translation.)

I'm sure there are plenty more that would work, but they're not coming to mind at the moment. Oh, and the list doesn't include characters like the Human Target who have already been brought to life on film (even they were completely corrupted in the translation.)

I forgot that that had been done already, never saw it though.

Adam Strange sounds like the best proposal. sort of Flash Gordan/Buck Rogers style.

03) Vimanarama - Get a bunch of British backers to fund it, build up the relationship/kitchen sink storyline in the first half hour or so to save on SFX and make sure that Ali's family is more closely tied to the big apocalyptic action (have Atlantis lodged under Bradford Ice Rink or something instead of New York... and have a relative of his in the British Army). It's the new Bend it Like Beckham, only lads won't mind watching it either. And don't worry about the effects - make everything purposely bright and shiny and the unreality can become part of the story.

Here I was thinking I was the only one who liked that funny book. :happy:

Madman : I know it's been on again, off again and I think Rodriguez is off it. I just think it could be ginchy.

Usagi Yojimbo : If a CGI movie of TMNT can be done, then why not the rabbit ronin?

Bone : Not sure if this would work better as a series of animated movies or an animated series?

I have always thought Sandman: Mystery Theatre would be good on TV. A period piece with plenty of violence, cursing, intrigue, and compelling characters is perfect for HBO.

I would love to see a Sandman Mystery Theatre movie, done as a period piece, very noir.

Have I mentioned lately that I miss that series? I mean, the Matt Wagner series (including when it was co-written with Seagle). Everything after that pissed me off.

So, these are "If Hollywood wasn't going to fuck the movie up, what movies would you like to see?", yes?

Because, in reality, I want Invisibles to stay far away from ever becoming a film! If they can't figure out the "complicated dynamics" of comics such as Hellblazer or Ghost Rider, I would really hate to see what they'd put out there as an Invisibles film. It'd look like a cheap rip-off of the Matrix, I'm sure.

Guest spiderlegs
Transmetropolitan : A reminder of fonder times, when journalists would strive to oust ne'er do-well politicians, but set in the future and with barcode nipples.

The Invisibles - Bigger explosions than Bond, smarter metaphysics than the Matrix and creepier conspiracies than even the real Government has. Take all the groovy, easily-accessible bits from the second volume, stir in some of the more trippy stuff from the third - not too much, mind - and sprinkle in a few thousand more bullets. Could get highbrow respect as well as action fan kudos. And it would be massive in Japan.

and 100 Bullets.

Now I think about it, the closed psychodramas in Face and Tainted might work very well on film as well.

Ironwolf wouldn't, but it'd be nice to show the sort of film critics who persist in believing that George Lucas pinched all of his ideas for Star Wars from Samurai films where the bits that didn't come from Jack Kirby or Valerian came from.

Face would be very good, yes, and The Eaters is probably worth a heavy re-write (nice ideas, but a shite comic). I can definitely see The Eaters as one of the late 80s satirical horror comedies that we'd watch as kids.

So, these are "If Hollywood wasn't going to fuck the movie up, what movies would you like to see?", yes?

That's not quite the way I looked at the challenge.

The list I presented isn't the list of movied I'd love to see, it's the list of movies I figure would work within the confines of Hollywood. I mean I'm sure most fans would love to see a big JSA/JLA cross-over movie, but that would involved too many characters with too many back-stories and too many origins to be easily translated into a two hour movie. Now it is possible to get a big cast into a movie, but it helps if they all have a common origin that could be summed up with a line or two of exposition: they're all mutants, or they were all exposed to the same cosmic rays. Using similar logic, I figured any character that was dependent on another (say Batgirl or Nightwing) or in the case of the original list, Shulkie, was also out.

I also figured that the concepts are fairly simple. The stories can all be told with a one-line elevator pitch (young girl discovers she is the missing teenage princess of a magical kingdom) and most of them can even be described in terms that would make sense as a Hollywood pitch (Road to Perdition meets the Maltese Falcon).

I tried to stay away from deeply philosophical books or books that are too "talky." Dr. Fate or Dr. Strange would the ones that stray furthest into this territory, but I think they would be workable. We could listen to Kent Nelson doubt his sanity as the helmet slowly takes over his personality and we could hear the Nabu (have I got the name right -- it has been a while) personality talk to him, much in the way the Green Goblin talked to Norman Osborne.

Now I'm not saying that Hollywood couldn't produce a complex, deep, authentic adaptation of a epic work, but given its track record, I figure it is best to start with baby steps.

There aren't any rules to the movies you list..... at least in my version of the "game."

In the original article (from Screenhead), the author only chose comics that have not received some sort of screen adaptation (which is why Captain America isn't on his list), or those that are currently in some state of production (hence Watchmen not being on his list).

But if you want to set up your own criteria, go for it.

My list:

10) Fell--- this one's definitely for tv. Has the benefit of one-in-done stories/episodes.

9) The Walking Dead--- can never have enough Zombie cinema. Well, you can never have enough good Zombie cinema, and with a full cast of well-developed characters and relationships TWD should deliver.

8) Sleeper--- this would be awesome. Film noir meets superhero and double-agent spy thrillers.

7) Top Ten--- the source material needs some ironing-out (as noted by James), and the sets/visuals would almost have to be done in a Sin City/300 or Sky Captain style.

6) The Invisibles--- probably unfilmmable, but what the hell.

5) Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.--- tv? Animated? Don't know, but there should be huge monsters!

4) Desolation Jones--- James Bond as you've never seen him.

3) Invincible--- one of the most fun comics of all time, and eliminates the need for a Superboy movie.

2) Y: TLM--- granted, Children of Men probably eliminates the need for this, but this story has a monkey!

1) 100 Bullets--- probably has to be a long-running, on-going tv series on pay tv. If done properly, it could be the greatest thing EVER.

Needed re-makes/re-starts:

10) Human Target--- Milligan's version, of course.

9) Watchmen--- I can already tell they've fucked it up.

8) The Hulk--- I'm pretty apathetic to Lee's film, with the exception of the on-screen separations which I loved.

7) Ghost Rider--- seriously, come on.

6) Daredevil--- managed to fuck up not just one, but two of the coolest villains ever.

5) Captain America--- use Millar's political commentary and man-out-of-time Ultimates version.

4) The Punisher--- somebody please do this comic justice! Both installments were HORRIBLE.

3) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen--- less revision on the screenwriter's part, please.

2) Fantastic Four--- if Galactus is as lame as Doom was in the first movie, I'll kill someone.

1) John Constantine: Hellblazer--- duh.

I think LOEG would make a wonderful movie. The story seems to be perfect for the screen.

I'm completely ignoring the fact that there was a movie released called "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", as the title and a few ideas from the comic were obviously stolen to make a movie that had absolutely no relation to the graphic novel.

In no particular order

1) Desolation Jones...would make a great cult flick with someone like Terry Gilham directing Gary Oldman as Michael Jones...

2) Nextwave...as an animated show...would be the best thing since milk...

3) Hellblazer...yeah...a no-brainer...we need the HBO TV treatment people...

4) Y-The Last Man..yup I know a flicks coming but this thing need 5 seasons people...

5) X-STATIX....tweaked a bit with mutant stuff but just enough to keep its edge on FILM....

6) The Invisibles...no doubt

7) Sleeper...Paranoia baby...

8) Lone Wolf and Cub....dont mess it up...

9) Global Frequency...man that pilot was a bit of a mess was it not?

10) The Human Target....have to make it....dont anyone mention the bad tv series from the late 80's...or the puppy gets it...

4) Y-The Last Man..yup I know a flicks coming but this thing need 5 seasons people...

Naah, I disagree. One of the things which gives me slightly more confidence in the film than would otherwise be the case is that Vaughan has already said that the screenplay, which he's writing, is totally different from the comic. The same set-up, some of the same characters, but a different story. As he said, he's already told the comic version, and it wouldn't work in a film - so he's replacing it with something that will, while hopefully keeping the essence of the book intact.

Hell, given the way Y:TLM has meandered over the past couple of years, the film could quite feasibly be an improvement on the book.