JasonT

Star Wars comics: recommendations please

Can any of you recommend some Star Wars comics to me?

Ideally I'd like to read something good that stays faithful to the movies, but any story that's just bloody good regardless of authenticity would do, too. Single issues or arcs, please.

This was set off by re-reading a pile of classic Marvel Star Wars.

OLD THREADS:

Star Wars in comic form

Star Wars Infinities

Those Archie Goodwin issue of Marvel's Star Wars series are great fun!

I recommend the John Ostrander issues of Star Wars:New Republic. They take place during the period of the prequel movies and Ostrander was doing some of his best writing. A lot of nice political commentary. I thought Ostrander really did a good job bringing out everything that should've been in the prequel movies but were missing due to Lucas' new ineptness and lack of caring in lieu of MONEY.

Besides that....it's been such a long time since I've read any Star Wars comics....I used to buy (almost) all the Dark Horse books, but stopped around 2002 or 2003.

I'll have to browse through my collection when I get time to dig those boxes out. They're buried under lots of other comic boxes.

umm....I seem to remember most of the Darko Macan penned series being really enjoyable, but off-hand, I don't remember what series Macan wrote.

The only one I've read that's been even halfway interesting (and I get about fifty of these bastards to review every week) was Tag & Bink Were Here, which you could pitch as "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are In Space". Basically, two characters run around behind the scenes of the various Star Wars movies.

It's not as good a R&G Are Dead though. But very few things are.

I am reallly enjoying Legacy by Ostrander and Duursema. It takes place roughly 100 years after the movies. It focuses on Cade Skywalker, who was a Jedi and has since turned bounty hunter/scoundrel, and whether or not he will fullfill his legacy by leading the remaining Jedi to stop the Sith. This time the Sith rule the galaxy in force with more than just two.

Issue #8 just came out and it is a great starting point. It is a flashback of sorts that touch on events from the first issue. But then with only 8 issues out it won't be hard to pick them up.

Thanks for the recommendations, folks! I'll do some digging.

Christian, I read Darko's Vader's Quest but found it disappointing. You're right about Archie Goodwin's Marvel stuff; I should probably track down the collections of his classic newspaper strips.

I thought Vader's Quest was ok. Not worth going out of your way for.

Macan also wrote the Star Wars:Chewbacca mini-series, which was not worth buying.

I looked and apparently he only wrote 4 Star Wars titles. The other was an X-Wing mini-series, and I never read any of those.

So....I guess I recommended Macan based on one series.

Tales of the Jedi: Jedi vs. Sith

It takes place prior to the events of the prequel, in the Old Republic. I really wanted to enjoy the Tales of the Jedi books, but all of them are action over character or plot except for Macan's. Jedi vs. Sith was the only Tales of the Jedi series I really liked.

Boba fett:Agent of doom.

First off I think Can Kennedy is god's other son when he draws Boba Fett,That having been said this also has a smart scipt by John Ostrander.The reasons for Fett doing the job offered in this one shot make total sense in context with(what I perceive to be)his current standing in the star wars universe.

Also,if you like that, there's an excellent issue of star wars empire(issue 7)by John Wagner and Kennedy about a royal families dispute on a distant planet and Fetts involvement.Aaaalllllso by Wagner and Kennedy is a three issue mini about Fett basically titled "Boba Fett"with each issue using a different title next to Fetts name(issue #1 is Bounty on Bar Kooda,#2 is When the fat lady swings,and #3 is Murder most foul.)They all stand alone enough as one shot tales of bounty hunting in space but all three have enough common story/backround characters to make it worth picking up all three before you begin,if you planned on picking them up.

I highly recommend all five books,especially the first two i mentioned.

It's quite sad but I've been waiting since my first post to geek out with the post right above here.

check the introduce yourself thread,page 40 post #787.ahh to be a young man of 27 again.

p.s.I would fucking kill for a Bobba Fett mini by Garth Ennis,Cam Kennedy and Bradstreet on covers

I dunno, I really enjoyed the latter parts of Marvel's Star Wars comics, but that's probably at least in part because I first read 'em when I was very young.

I also enjoyed Dark Empire, which was the beginning of the renaisance of Star Wars in the mid 90s. But There is a lot of not very good stuff that came out in the wake of Phantom Menace franchise frenzy.

Avoid stuff set hundreds of years before Star Wars, because it really does read like poor quality franchise servicing pap...

I don't get Boba Fett at all. What's the appeal? In the films, at least, he's a total non-person, who happens to wear a moderately funky-looking suit of armour during his scant 5 minutes of screen-time, before getting killed off in such a shamefully lame way that you'd expect that to be the end of any interest in the character. But to Star Wars fans, he seems to be the epitome of bad-assed sci-fi cool. Why?

I know that there's been loads of stuff in the extended universe books, comics etc which has fleshed out the character, but I'm assuming there was a reason that such fleshing-out was demanded in the first place (beyond LucasArts' usual money-grubbing "if it appeared onscreen in a Star Wars movie, that means we can sell technical manuals, photo books and novels about it" attitude, obviously) - anyone? What is it about him that made people so interested in the first place?

I believe he was played up as the baddest of bad ass bounty hunters in the film. He was the one who collected the bounty on Han Solo with Jabba. He was a cold, ruthless foe.

I'm not really sure....something clicked about him.

I agree that he didn't really do much in the films and was killed off pretty easily in Return of the Jedi. He never appealed to me until I started to read the novels.

Jango Fett was an arse-kicker, whereas Boba just stands around, complains, misses targets, and falls into a plant. Consequently a mate and I have a running joke that Boba is the disappointing fuckup son.

Boba Fett was announced as a major new villain shortly after A New Hope but well before The Empire Strikes Back. He was even released in action figure form well before TESB was completed. As such, fan anticipation built up a legend around the character. The fact that he actually didn't live up to the legend has somehow proven immaterial.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/bts/art...30/indexp3.html

Rak and Robc, thanks for adding your recommendations.

Oh! I forgot Fett was actually introduced in that horrible Star Wars:Christmas Special show! Wasn't Boba Fett's characterization ambiguous and he was used more as an anti-hero on that show, more like he'd be portrayed in later stories?

At least Boba Fett didn't show up in the comics ahead of the film as a walrus looking guy, ala Jabba. That would've been bad for promotion.

Hmm....Well, it could be that the spin-off creators were the ones who created the legends. Perhaps instead of fans calling for more Fett, the creators gave the fans more Fett, and Fett became so cool that the fans thought they always wanted more Fett.

Look at Wolverine. I always think of Wolverine as pretty similar to Boba Fett actually.

When he showed up to get his ass kicked in the Hulk comic book, no one thought he was such a big deal. Then Wein used him in the X-Men relaunch, no one really cared that much, and Claremont took over, making Wolverine from the whiny little punk who got his assed kicked but kept coming back for more into almost everyones favourite ass kicking, bad ass X-Man.

Boba Fett was announced as a major new villain shortly after A New Hope but well before The Empire Strikes Back. He was even released in action figure form well before TESB was completed. As such, fan anticipation built up a legend around the character. The fact that he actually didn't live up to the legend has somehow proven immaterial.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/bts/art...30/indexp3.html

I didn't know that, and it explains a lot. Congratulations on being the first Star Wars fan ever to give me a proper, satisfying answer to that question.

I'm buying at least one Dark Horse Star Wars title at any one time, but I don't know if anyone would call them "good". I enjoy them, though.

I particularly liked the two miniseries featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn, preferring the art in the first one. They were both written by Timothy Zahn, who wrote the three novels that Thrawn was in. Unfortunately I can't immediately tell you the Dark Horse titles under which those stories appeared.

I heard reluctance a couple of times here on STH about venturing into the Star War Extended Universe (is that the right name for it?). I don't see why anyone would feel that way: in my experience, most of who comes from the EU is as good as or better than what's come from the movies.

Jango Fett was an arse-kicker, whereas Boba just stands around, complains, misses targets, and falls into a plant.

That definitely is not the case for Boba in the comics (except perhaps for eventually flying into the plant). In SW's books, he really is interesting enough to have his own book.

There was also at least one issue and perhaps a multi-issue arc of Jango Fett's origin story, starting with how as a boy he came to be with the Mandalorians, which I thought were worth reading. Again, I don't what title that was published under.

Now I'm starting to think of SW books that I actually could recommend. I'll see if I can't get myself to unearth those books for perusal....

I read the Jango Fett origin story. It's the only Jango Fett comic Dark Horse published, so it should be easy to find. It was a pretty good comic, all fans of Boba Fett would enjoy it.

I forgot about that comic until you mentioned it....which is bad, because it was one of the better D.H. S.W. titles, so I should've remembered it.

Actually, I checked on mycomicshop.

It's called Jango Fett:Open Season by Hayden Blackman.

Guest spiderlegs

Dark Times is OK, if trying to be a little too emotional.

I just finished Clone Wars Volume 8 which was OK. And Empire Vol... uh, I forgot which one it was but I'll come back and edit this post. It was decent, too.

Rebellion started off OK and has turned into a colossal clusterfucking mess. Thumbs down on that one, all the way.

One of my favorites is the Thrawn Trilogy, though the dialogue is practically lifted from the films but just used in different contexts.

At school, my 3rd grade son's class is reading 'chapter books' now, so we've begun the Young Jedi series about the adventures of the Solo twins--Jaina and Jacen--who are training to become Jedi like their uncle Luke (and by him as well). They're not great but the boy likes the one we're reading now (The Lost Ones).

I've been going through the Wiki entry for the listing of SW comics trying to figure out what might interest me.

Essentially, I've arrived at the same conclusion I could've gotten just from reading the STHers recommendations, which is that Dark Empire and SW: Legacy are worth checking out.

But the Star Wars: Republic series is intriguing; it covers a history of the SW universe that I'm acually familiar with (due to its relation to the films) and features characters I like. So, my question to those of you in the know: Is the series any good? Are there particular trades (listed in the link I provided) I should seek out? Ones I should avoid?

In case it helps guide you in your recommendations, here's what I like about the SW universe:

Light saber battles

The Sith

TESB

What I don't like:

Bad dialogue

Endlessly complicated political "intrigue"

The other films (ANH is ok, RotJ bearable, RotS hovers just below the Mendoza Line, the rest of 'em are shit)

Annoying child characters

Gracias.

I wrote my recommendation for Star Wars:Republic. The John Ostrander written issues. Ostrander is a good writer.

Ostrander did a lot to make sense of the mess that were the prequels.

It was very political though. Ostrander used the series to critique the Bush administration.

Alright, but which trades are worthwhile? There's 18 of 'em.

What's the art like?

Decent amounts of action?

I don't own the Trades. I own individual issues. Are all the Trades written by Ostrander? I don't believe he wrote the entire series.

I believe you'll want to start with issue #42. The story-arc is called "Rite of Passage".

I think Ostrander took over the writing with #42.

I think he wrote the remainder of the series.

Ostrander's stories start right before the "Attack of the Clones" movie.

I don't know what the art's like. Like Star Wars art?

I liked it.

There's a decent amount of action. Anakin does cool things that explains his actions in the movies. Battles from the movies are fleshed out more.