wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

wolfram    1

OK, I thought I'd set up a thread for guys and gals like me who need the occasional refresher course or who haven't gotten to read the whole stretch.

My first qu: Is the Bad Blood mini considered (future) canon? I certainly hope not. I'd rather John die than end up quite like that. He just came off as a joke. I don't know how much I could take of "John Constantine, wacky old lech with a magickal past!"

Rogan    176

i'm pretty sure it's probably an elseworlds... (since Delano already offered us possoble glimpses of John's future in that story prior to/after Dead Boy's Heart)

Maybe it's another one of Rosacarnis's possible futures made solely to torment John? ;)

Shawn    297

Could some one explain just a bit about the following:

How did John get demon's blood in him?

What is "the demon constantine" all about?

Thanks.

Rogan    176

John got a demon blood "transfusion" after leaping out of the train, scared by the ghosts of his dead mates, right at the begining of Delano's run, as seen in the first TPB, Dangerous habits.

Demon Constantine dates from Paul Jenkins's arc "Critical mass", where John joined all of the bad parts from his soul into a makeshft duplicate of himself (including his demon blood), which was then traded to a demon in exchange for a soul of a little boy. It was yet another one fo his cons, since the demon thought he was getting the real John. Demon was bound to the soul of Alister Crowley, who suffered the damnation and the tortures in hell instead of John's bad soul-half... Demon Constantine later lost this protection, and refused to join back with John into one being...

Shawn    297

Thanks Rogan

I wonder what would happen if John rejoined with his dark half?

Rogan    176

well, since he already regained his dark-side, he'd most likely become a villain, and not just an anti-hero.

Lou K    1,054

Original Sins SPOILERS

Nergal wanted John for....fuck I don't remember, to do something. But John was all fucked up becasue he jumped off a train, as Rogan said. So John refuses to help Nergal and Nergal says he's gonna start eating babies from the maternity ward below (John was in the hospital, see). John states that even if he would help, he couldn't because he's all fucked up. Nergal uses one of his own gangly claws to lacerate one of his own veins and juices up Johns IV. This not only heals John super quick but also puts quite the fire in his belly and he jumps out the window and goes off to do that thing.

Demon Constantine is as Rogan said. John banished his demon blood along with Crowley but later got it back. That's been mentioned before, and I'll tell you how if you like, but I may not want to spoil another arc for you.

Rogan    176
Original Sins SPOILERS

Nergal wanted John for....fuck I don't remember, to do something. But John was all fucked up becasue he jumped off a train, as Rogan said.

he wanted John to help him with stopping the ressurectioners to make the new Virgin Mary out of Zed... John later helped out, and tainted her with his demon seed, gained from having Nergal's blood...

So John refuses to help Nergal and Nergal says he's gonna start eating babies from the maternity ward below (John was in the hospital, see). John states that even if he would help, he couldn't because he's all fucked up. Nergal uses one of his own gangly claws to lacerate one of his own veins and juices up Johns IV. This not only heals John super quick but also puts quite the fire in his belly and he jumps out the window and goes off to do that thing.

you mean goes to play the horizontal mambo with Zed? :p

Demon Constantine is as Rogan said. John banished his demon blood along with Crowley but later got it back. That's been mentioned before, and I'll tell you how if you like, but I may not want to spoil another arc for you.

yeah, we need Spoiler warning in the subject of this very thread...

Rogan    176

No problem, Lou, you have a good doobiexcuse for it being so faulty... ;)

Shawn    297

Thanks for clearly that up Lou and Rogan. I dont mind knowing the spoilers, but others may. This all gives me something to look forward to if DC ever collects all of Delano's run.

J. White    6

I think this thread will help out a lot for new Hellblazer readers so kudios to wolfram.

This all gives me something to look forward to if DC ever collects all of Delano's run.

Hopefully they will, but I don't see anything happening anytime soon outside of the one or two they'll put in "Rare Cuts".

Mark    332
Thanks for clearly that up Lou and Rogan. I dont mind knowing the spoilers, but others may. This all gives me something to look forward to if DC ever collects all of Delano's run.

Actually, it doesn't (although there are plenty of other great stories to look forward to, if Delano's run ever does get traded). The 'Demon Blood' is covered in the Original Sins trade, and the Demon Constantine is from Paul Jenkins' run (the one I haven't read, frustratingly, as it looks like it's never going to be collected anywhere, ever). It looks suspiciously like, potential master-plan aside, Mike Carey's pretending Jenkins' run never happened, too, because he's used the demon blood twice now in his run. Ah, sweet continuity...;)

Lou K    1,054

Jenkins era SPOILERS ( sorry can't rememebr which arc )

Well, supposedly John got his demon juices back when him and Ellie did the making of the fuck. As Jenkins taketh away, so doth he giveth back, knowhumsayin'? I always thought it was lame to rid John of the demon blood, as it's one of my favorite bits. And I thought just giving it back to him in that manner was a little too easy and not very feasible. But John has demon blood again and Mike uses it well so I'm willing to let it go.

vinusoma    0

I'm not exactly sure how John got the demon blood back after 'doing' it with Ellie... was it ever explained... (or was it just taken for granted)...

as for reprinting Delano's run... did Titan books ever do any...

I know they did the whole of Alan Moore's run in B/W... and I seem to recall they did start with Delano's Hellblazer run (also in B/W)...

(either that or my memory is playing tricks on me)...

I also seem to recall Titan books stoped at some point since they weren't paying royalties on the reprints (or something), so they may have only got around to reprinting what DC ever got to reprinting (issue #1-8?)...

Lou K    1,054
I'm not exactly sure how John got the demon blood back after 'doing' it with Ellie... was it ever explained... (or was it just taken for granted)...

No, it really wasn't explained very well and quite taken for granted which is why I'm not too down with the notion.

Atticus    164
.....and the Demon Constantine is from Paul Jenkins' run (the one I haven't read, frustratingly, as it looks like it's never going to be collected anywhere, ever). 

Mark, which Jenkins' arc(s) are you looking for?

I'd be quite happy to lend them to you since you're currently living in London, as long as I get them back before you go off to wherever you're going to after you've sucked all the marrow of life from The Big Smoke.

Mark    332

All of them, to be honest. I read 'Up the Down Staircase' and a couple of the shorter 1-2 issue arcs a few years back, but really don't remember that much about them. I'll be getting a couple of CDs from Rogan with the full HB on them at some point soon, but if you could lend me a stack that'd be fantastic. I'd obviously look after them with astonishing care...PM me if you want to sort something out.

Cheers!

JohnMcMahon    562

You're quickly becoming the Mother Theresa of this gaff Hugh!

Mark, Paul's "Critical Mass" story-arc is must read material.

As for the Demon Blood, well technically Constantine lost it at the end of Dangerous Habits. Overlooking that, John thought he managed to transfuse the lot of it into the similarcum that would go on to become the Demon Constantine.

He was wrong though.

The end.

Lou K    1,054
As for the Demon Blood, well technically Constantine lost it at the end of Dangerous Habits.

Aha, right you are!

The devil did burn him up and then remake him anew, didn't he? I'd forgotten about that.

A. Heathen    1,125

Been doing some re-reading.

And notably, JC did not just put his Demonic side, or even the Demon-blood into the golem type thing when he split off to fool Buer and FOTF. He put all his badness and Crowley. Then the badness is what he got back from Ellie by shagging her (which is not an easy thing to do with a succubus) something added to by the fact that the spell he used to protect her from FOTF back in the day had some of the old demon blood intermingled.

The Demon refused to help ... and they keep turning up to ask each other to come back and the other one always says no !

As for FOTF at the end of that arc, and the current relationship with John.

Well, John signed a contract.

So when FOTF turned up recently, he probably thought it was another of JC's tricks. And he can wait a long time, whereas John's only got a lifetime.

Shawn    297

Is Jenkin's run worth checking out? What issues comprise "critical mass?"

to the best of my knowledge, Critical Mass includes issues 92-96. Whether Jenkin's run is worth chekcing out, that's open for discussion, but I like it. It convinced me to keep buying the series.

Christian    734

Aren't ALL J.C. stories worth buying?!

Hilde kindly gave you the stories comprising "Critical Mass", which was without a doubt Jenkins' best, and should be collected into TPB.

#97 was a solo-issue, but is considered the Epilogue to "Critical Mass", so you might include that issue also. It was amongst my favourite H.B. issues ever.

Jenkins' run.....

The positive:

I liked the way he wrote John Constantine. Middle-aged, sober (not when it comes to booze though! :lol: )....

The stories that I liked by Jenkins, I REALLY liked!

The only lasting impact from his run on the book right now seems to be the introduction of the Demon Constantine though....

The writing was good.

The negative:

I HATED his supporting cast, except for Dani, who I felt was just a plot device.

I didn't like how much mythology he put into the book. It started to look like a "poor man's Sandman" after a bit to me.

The issues that I didn't enjoy so much, the stories were just boring to me (which sadly made up about 50% of his run).

The First started to look like a joke in the middle of his run. Only in "How to Play with Fire" did the First start to look like a threat again after the ending to "Critical Mass".

Mark    332

Looking forward to reading the Jenkins era stuff...it's the only major gap in my HB knowledge now. I haven't even read #120...this must be rectified.