wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

JohnMcMahon    595
Yeah, see, the Jenkins stuff just left me bored all the time. I just couldn't get into it.

Not an uncommon criticism and one that I can certainly appreciate, especially given that his run followed in the wake of Garth's balls to the wall antics.

Personally, I'm really quite fond of the guts of Paul's run, in particular I'd recommend -

Critical Mass (#92-#96) : The Newcastle Incident comes full circle as the fallout from Rake At The Gates Of Hell lands John in an all too familiar situation. Brilliant stuff from start to finish and a perfect cap to the defining moment in Constantine's life.

Last Man Standing (#110-#114) : In particular, the final confronation between John and Merlin, especially Constantine's apparent callousness in the face of Merlin threatening to perfom an on-the-spot abortion with a scalpel. I was still catching up with Hellblazer at that point and I was really taken aback by John's reaction.

Desperately Seeking Something(#120) : What if John Constantine was just a bloke down the pub talking shite ?

Getting back to the Demon Blood for a second, if there's no specific reference to it in Critical Mass then I stand by my assertion that it was 'taken care of' at the end of Dangerous Habits.

James    38

There is a specific mention - The Phantom Stranger tells John that the blood is the key to slipping out of his damnation, and there's even a really cool Watchmen-like picture of John's complete circulatory system stood by itself.

Besides, how else did he knock off The King of the Vampires?

Shawn    297

Thanks to all for answering my questions. This is proof once again that these boards are the best boards.

I have liked Jenkins's work for a while but never checked out his Hellblazer issues.

Christian    805

Yeah, let me mention with my critique that I am a big Paul Jenkins fan. I can't think of anything of his that I really disliked off the top of my head. I haven't read any of his indie work though (besides his TMNT work, which I didn't even know was his....). So, my critique is from a Jenkins' fan.

Charlie K    31

As an interesting aside, I had never read anything else Jenkins had written but recently picked up some issues of Peter Parker, Spider-Man that he did that friggin' blew me away! So I was quite surprised by that. Didn't he also write The Inhumans when they relaunched that? I liked that, too.

JohnMcMahon    595

Yeah, his twelve issue stint on The Inhumans with Jae Lee is really quite excellent.

As an aside, anyone who enjoyed Jenkins on Hellblazer could do worse than keeping an eye out for his all-too-brief run on Werewolf By Night with Leonardo Manco for Marvel.

sethos    5
Yeah, his twelve issue stint on The Inhumans with Jae Lee is really quite excellent.

As an aside, anyone who enjoyed Jenkins on Hellblazer could do worse than keeping an eye out for his all-too-brief run on Werewolf By Night with Leonardo Manco for Marvel.

I have those somewhere: the story is decent but nothing special, but Maco's art is all good.

speaking of ex-Hellblazer writers writing other stuff, I always loved Acclaim's short-lived Shadow-Man comic series. the first four or five issues were by Garth Ennis and as such focused on mostly revolting jokes and violence (but with excellent Ashley Wood art), but after that Jamie Delano had a ten or so issue run which was absolutely brilliant (with art by Charles Adlard). I recommend those.

Lou K    1,097

Hell yes, I loved the Shadowman series. Delano took everything Garth had built up and turned it on it's head. Great job on that and great game, too.

Christian    805

I actually didn't think "Werewolf by Night" was anything special. I liked DeMatteis' "Man Thing" better of the two. The art and mood were good though.

Jenkins' run on "Spider Man" was amazing!

His twelve-issue Marvel Knights "Inhumans" series was one of the top books ever to come from Marvel. It was the closest (besides "X-Statix") Marvel has ever come to a Vertigo book in many ways.

So, Delano's work on "Shadowman" was good? I'm going to have to hunt that down now.....

Rogan    176

Sign me in on the Inhumans love train... this was really a good maxi series... i read it in a trade, and even though i had NO prior knowledge about the characters, it took me one issue to get into the mood, and to love the concept, and Jenkins's internal monologues...

A. Heathen    1,171

In rereading some Jenkins Hellblazer - which I enjoyed at the time, but have no fondness for the supporting cast - I noticed there's a lot more recapping in each issue. I wonder if the contemporary vogue for trade paperback collections *has* had an effect on the story-telling despite what they all say.

James    38

I dunno, the latest Lucifer storyline has Fenris explaining the whole "people eating his essence" in every issue.

I see what you're saying, though.

Nico    0

This has been bothering me for a while now. Back in the Tainted Love, John's all destrought over Kit leaving him and he's at a coffee shop and he flips out. He tells this waitress how she touched her sister when she was a baby or something.

So, my question is this, does John have sort of ability to see the evil in people? Or is it just a low-grade form of telepathy?

Thanks,

Nico

Christian    805

John's done it before too. I always took it to be his amazing "luck". He has the ability to guess things that happen to be right about people and their past.

I seriously doubt it is "telepathy". I don't think it's "a way to see evil" either. John isn't the best magician, and definately doesn't show this ability regularly.

It seems like when he needs to know it, it comes to him, and he says it. I don't even think it's anything concious.

Of course, I've read that the "All His Engines" GN is going to show John seeing dead people when he was a boy, so maybe John is just some high and might magician like Dr. Strange after all....

James    38

The preview suggests that the skeleton is something from our own time that's going to pop back to an earlier point and haunt young John, possibly after older John offers up his soul in exchange for releasing the coma patients (I'm just making this up but it sounds plausible enough).

This has been bothering me for a while now.  Back in the Tainted Love, John's all destrought over Kit leaving him and he's at a coffee shop and he flips out.  He tells this waitress how she touched her sister when she was a baby or something.

So, my question is this, does John have sort of ability to see the evil in people? Or is it just a low-grade form of telepathy?

He does it a couple of times in the Ennis run and I think a few times in Jenkins' run as well. No explanation, so Christian's is as good as any.

Or possibly he's trained himself to read the minds of the weak or something. Why not?

A. Heathen    1,171

I would say it's the sort of intuition that Tim Robbins character has chemically enhanced in Code 46, and which psychological performers such as Derren Brown use. John's obviously got a predisposing hereditary factor too.

Rogan    176

read his mind, tell him he touched his sis and grany as a child, and have him commit suicide. (he'll then self-hypntise himself to think he's a duck).

Christian    805

Ah, but the real question is, could Wolverine actually commit suicide?!

, "possibly after older John offers up his soul in exchange for releasing the coma patients "

Wait! John sells his soul, AGAIN, in this GN?! How many times can one man sell his damned soul?!