wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

maybe i should read it.

It would probably help, yes. It's an excellent issue, and reading it will answer your question far better than any description could.

what mark,alias thor, said

how did hb #11 set the tone for the series?

doesnt the 1st issue kinda do that?

maybe i should read it.

Hellblazer #11 revealed what happened to John at Newcastle, which was the singular event that had shaped John's entire life up until that point, attempting to deal with how badly he fucked up, and influencing John's attitude until "Critical Mass" by Paul Jenkins, when there was finally resolution for John.

Yeah, you should read issue #1. It sets up the premise of who John is and what he does.

He was also exaggerating, as he stated in issue #40 that he doesn't do well on trips and isn't used to magic mushrooms.

He's like Philip K. Dick, master of hallucinogens, who only took halluciongenics a small handful of times in his life, yet made claims to the effect that he was freakin' Grant Morrison and Timothy Leary in one!

Dick's fiction was inspired by amphetamine psychosis rather than the wussier visions brought on by hallucinogens, but he was very open about having tried and enjoyed acid in a few interviews from the '70s.

(It appears his amphetamine psychosis led to him experiencing gnosis in the same manner as the chimp's coke habit did: Dick got a few decent books out of it, whereas the chimp just did his best to fuck up everybody else's fun over him being too much of a pussy to sustain a coke habit the average hard rock drummer could have taken before breakfast without noticing it any.)

No. Dick's friends say he was full of shit. While he did do some experimenting with hallucinogens and amphetamines, he acted like he was highly experienced, when in fact, taking drugs was something Dick rarely did.

Wussy? DPT wussy? The Devil Drug? Have you never read Breaking Open The Head?

Apparently, he was so afraid that people were going to think he was schizophrenic, and he was so afraid of the thought that he was schizophrenic, that he made up tales about wild drug experimentation as a way to explain his psychosis.

Although I have serious doubts that a type of actual schizophrenia/schizophreniform disorder would be the proper diagnosis.

Later in life, Dick began to lose it, and just accepted that it was all real. His "Exegesis".

What? You never pretended to be stoned out of your mind on heroin to explain your mental illness in high school?

No. Dick's friends say he was full of shit. While he did do some experimenting with hallucinogens and amphetamines, he acted like he was highly experienced, when in fact, taking drugs was something Dick rarely did.

Wussy? DPT wussy? The Devil Drug? Have you never read Breaking Open The Head?

Apparently, he was so afraid that people were going to think he was schizophrenic, and he was so afraid of the thought that he was schizophrenic, that he made up tales about wild drug experimentation as a way to explain his psychosis.

Although I have serious doubts that a type of actual schizophrenia/schizophreniform disorder would be the proper diagnosis.

Later in life, Dick began to lose it, and just accepted that it was all real. His "Exegesis".

What? You never pretended to be stoned out of your mind on heroin to explain your mental illness in high school?

The main reason Dick developed the pancreatic cancer which eventually killed him was because he'd been taking huge doses of speed ever since he was a child, when they apparently handed out inhalers full of the stuff to asthmatics.

He's generally down on drugs, but it depends on the user.

Lessee, issue 1 "Christ, I hate psychadellics"

and #89

"Last time I took psychadelics I ended up being chased around the flat by my mate Tom with an onion"

He did get dosed by those filthy English hippies that were living out of vans when John was on the run.

I believe it was during Delano's run, and he was given mushroom tea (unbeknownst to him).

Ah. That would explain it. When they used to put it in inhalers.

A lot of asthmatics developed serious speed habits in the '50s due to those inhalers. (William Burroughs' wife was another.) Dick's taste for amphetamines is frequently cited as the main reason for his productivity in the '60s.

P.K. Dick actually died of heart failure following a stroke.

Right, I didn't know that.

Ah. That would explain it. When they used to put it in inhalers.

A lot of asthmatics developed serious speed habits in the '50s due to those inhalers. (William Burroughs' wife was another.) Dick's taste for amphetamines is frequently cited as the main reason for his productivity in the '60s.

P.K. Dick actually died of heart failure following a stroke.

Right, I didn't know that.

Yeah, I was confused. My mind wasn't connecting amphetamines with speed when you first mentioned it. I'm thinking, "Amphetamines. Amphetamines. What kind of hallucinogen is amphetamine?".

P.K. Dick was using quite a lot of amphetamines in the 60s to get out the amount of work he did to make enough money and get his name recognized.

It actually may have been the reason for his heart trouble later in life.

sorry I have one more question about John's soul,

so let get this straight, John sold his soul to the 2nd and 3rd of the fallen, then they healed him

then he sent part of his soul to hell, i.e demonic John. Then he join his soul with his dead twin, The golden boy, and Demonic John. now to save a new group of friend John sold to the first of the fallen.

do I have it right ?

In this order:

At the end of Delano's run, he does something unspecified with his twin brother (who had survived in a parallel dimension) that looks like they may be merging into one being.

In Ennis' run he forfiets his soul to the First by insulting him but then sells it to the Second and Third, forcing them to heal him. This came undone when the First found out that he could kill the Second and Third.

Then he carved out the worst bits of his personality (but not his soul) as well as his physical dependencies and put them into animate form. He then tricked this golem into merging with Alestair Crowley, so that when it went to Hell, Crowley's soul would suffer the agonies and not his duplicate.

In the latest storyline he gave his soul over to the keeper of the Third Place, which is the light at the end of the tunnel that is seen by many when having near-death experiences. However, his soul was still owed to the First along with a newly-regenerated Second and Third. The reasons for their return are unknown, but we have been assured by the author (via one of our regulars) that there is a reason.

In this order:

At the end of Delano's run, he does something unspecified with his twin brother (who had survived in a parallel dimension) that looks like they may be merging into one being.

In Ennis' run he forfiets his soul to the First by insulting him but then sells it to the Second and Third, forcing them to heal him. This came undone when the First found out that he could kill the Second and Third.

Then he carved out the worst bits of his personality (but not his soul) as well as his physical dependencies and put them into animate form. He then tricked this golem into merging with Alestair Crowley, so that when it went to Hell, Crowley's soul would suffer the agonies and not his duplicate.

In the latest storyline he gave his soul over to the keeper of the Third Place, which is the light at the end of the tunnel that is seen by many when having near-death experiences. However, his soul was still owed to the First along with a newly-regenerated Second and Third. The reasons for their return are unknown, but we have been assured by the author (via one of our regulars) that there is a reason.

thanks for clearing that up for, I just get into reading Hellblazer.

I thought that it was more like the First claimed the soul by way of reparation for the insult, but John sold his soul to 2otF and 3otF - or more specifically bargained his soul - in order that there would be a three way squabble that they would rather avoid.

Also the FotF didn't just "kill" them did he ? What with the whole "demons come back" business.

I don't think the souls thing just reboots every time a Demon dies.

You would expect them to still have their claim after returning from the dead, true enough.

I thought that it was more like the First claimed the soul by way of reparation for the insult, but John sold his soul to 2otF and 3otF - or more specifically bargained his soul - in order that there would be a three way squabble that they would rather avoid.

That's what I said, just not in as many words. I thought he'd read the Dangerous Habits storyline so going into detail seemed like a waste of time.

Also the FotF didn't just "kill" them did he ? What with the whole "demons come back" business.

He turned what remained of them into a knife, which - until Mina's first arc concluded - seemed like a fairly permanent thing.

I didn't say that. The detente was broken down because the First found out that the Second and Third posed no threat to him and there was nothing they could do to stop him from claiming Constantine's soul.

That remains the case, but his time on Earth has given him the patience to see John die of 'natural' causes.

(Spoilery and nitpicking)

To defeat Chantinelle, John had to sell his soul to the FOTF in Jenkin's final arc.

So I'm not sure that the FOTF still owned John's soul after defeating the 2nd and the 3rd rulers of Hell in Ennis' run.

I still prefer Delano's version in #3 where no one would even dare to purchase John's soul.

John defeated the First three times and the First lost his throne in Hell. He lost control of John's soul after John defeated the First.

So, the First had to start all over again once he regained his throne.

Luckily, it didn't take him long....

John is willing to give up his soul to the first evil guy to come along. Shameful.

John is willing to give up his soul to the first evil guy to come along. Shameful.

He's going to Hell when he dies anyway: that was made clear very early on.

He's going to Hell when he dies anyway: that was made clear very early on.

When and how?

I mean, it can't be absolutely certain that he's going to hell, can it?

In the DCU, you're damned by your own guilt. John refuses to absolve himself of the damage he's caused (cf. his conversation with Papa Midnite in issue 2) so...

In the DCU, you're damned by your own guilt. John refuses to absolve himself of the damage he's caused (cf. his conversation with Papa Midnite in issue 2) so...

And his first conversation with Gabriel in Dangerous Habits, the implication that he's the First's by right of insult elsewhere in that one, Pain and Pleasure (or whatever it is the S&M demon twins are called)'s brush off to him when they abscond with Richie Simpson in Nergal's carcass, his drunken rant to the ghosts in the story where he's wandering around Gotham looking for a reason not to kill himself...

Even when Jenkins tried to alleviate this assumption a little, he ended his storyline by having Constantine sell his soul to the First, did he not?