wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

John's father never joined the crew. I don't think John ever even saw his father's ghost, did he? He only appeared to Gemma.

It wasn't until John went to Hell that he saw his father after death.

Grinning, that was John thinking about all his past girlfriends. He was escaping (or being dragged maybe) into his memories.

Emma appearing to John in issues #1 & 2 don't have to be read as actuality. Emma was the one John was closest to out of the original ghost gang, so you could look at Emma as being a literal representation of John's conscience.

John's father never joined the crew. I don't think John ever even saw his father's ghost, did he? He only appeared to Gemma.

It wasn't until John went to Hell that he saw his father after death.

Grinning, that was John thinking about all his past girlfriends. He was escaping (or being dragged maybe) into his memories.

Emma appearing to John in issues #1 & 2 don't have to be read as actuality. Emma was the one John was closest to out of the original ghost gang, so you could look at Emma as being a literal representation of John's conscience.

But the difference between the two visitations was my point.

Hello all. Ive met Constantine only through the graphic novels and some random single issues here and there, and there's this thing thats been bugging me for ages. I just remembered the existence of this site so i said to my self why not ask these guys. So here it goes.

In Azzarello's run, it must have been either "Freezes Over" or "Highwater" (i dont have the paperbacks with me right now), there is this girl who used to like JC if im not mistaken,in one of the "older happening events-punk era etc", who has this book(kinda like Destiny's book if i can remember correctly) and this guy comes in the picture who kills the poor lass. Now who is that guy and why did he kill the girl? Is he the Phantom Stranger or am i just delusional?

I believe the answer to this one is actually in the FAQ which should be in a 'sticky' thread at the top of the Hellblazer sub-forum, but the quick answer is that we never find out - it was a mystery to which Azzarello would, presumably, have returned had he not left the title earlier than he'd initially planned.

Following the lead of our very own Ade Brown, I reckon it was Mike Carey.

Welcome to the boards, by the way.

Couldn't have been 'all' his exes. There was no Lady Di.

There's at a least two bakers dozens ghosts by now right?

Heres my question though how come Johns sister hasnt shown up as one?

Where are the ghosts when they are not shown? Somewhere else or are they omniouslly present every moment. Watching him take a shit and the like?

My favorite ghost moment was with Delano in Original Sins when they wave at Gary to join them in the street.

Where are the ghosts when they are not shown? Somewhere else or are they omniouslly present every moment. Watching him take a shit and the like?

My favorite ghost moment was with Delano in Original Sins when they wave at Gary to join them in the street.

I'm glad that Cheryl isn't part of the ghostly gang.

I think it's because it was such a major fuck up on John's part, that he wont even allow his mind/sub concious to process or articulate the guilt in the usual way, as one of his "ghosts".

This probably applies to his dead father too, who he only met in Hell.

Cheryl was more to John, than his own mindgames could validate.

This was bigger than that.

Perhaps John's not even close to being ready to deal with the loss of Cheryl.

And cudos to Mike for his runs ending.

I think it's because it was such a major fuck up on John's part, that he wont even allow his mind/sub concious to process the guilt as one of his usual "ghosts".

So you're suggesting that the ghosts may be manifestation of John's guilt?

I dont know why maybe its the books angle but I always took it as face value. The ghosts really are ghosts.

I agree Cheryl was such a shock that yeah she shouldnt be lumped with the Nun the nerd and c-listers.

I hope Diggle adresses the Cheryl loss in his run.

Except someone said that John's father showed up with the gang. I didn't think he ever had either. Someone being Grinning, towards the top of the page.

I would rather John's father (nor Cheryl) show up with the ghosts though. There's two great explanations also, which really adds to that ambiguity factor of "Are the ghosts real or John's subconscious?". There's Test's explanation, which is my explanation as well, but also, for all the True Believers out there, John's father and Cheryl were both being kept in Hell by the First, so their souls couldn't come back to haunt John.

I think it's because it was such a major fuck up on John's part, that he wont even allow his mind/sub concious to process the guilt as one of his usual "ghosts".

So you're suggesting that the ghosts may be manifestation of John's guilt?

I dont know why maybe its the books angle but I always took it as face value. The ghosts really are ghosts.

I agree Cheryl was such a shock that yeah she shouldnt be lumped with the Nun the nerd and c-listers.

I hope Diggle adresses the Cheryl loss in his run.

Read the our precceding posts over the last page or so.

Again, the very clear art diffrence between the two visitations of Emma in Hellblazer #1 and #2.

The mental manifestation is the "obvious" almost cliche ghost look.

for all the True Believers out there, John's father and Cheryl were both being kept in Hell by the First, so their souls couldn't come back to haunt John.

What the hell do Marvel have to do with it?

Sort of.

John is tapped into the acausal connectivity underlying all things.

Synchronicity was an idea that the psychologist Karl Jung came up with.

while reading "books of magic", ole Johnny "riding the synchronicty highway", bascily John is messing with time and space right?

The idea is that he ends up where he's supposed to be without going through all of the stages of getting there. So maybe his day was originally going to start with him trying to catch a bus, but he'd end up catching a taxi instead. Then the taxi would crash and the other driver would turn out to be someone he hadn't seen for years. In the "synchronicity highway" version, he zips forward so he's stood at the crash without all of the annoying bits inbetween. Bascially, he gets from A to Z without passing through points B-Y, although as far as the universe is aware, he did everything as he was supposed to.

while reading "books of magic", ole Johnny "riding the synchronicty highway", bascily John is messing with time and space right?

The idea is that he ends up where he's supposed to be without going through all of the stages of getting there. So maybe his day was originally going to start with him trying to catch a bus, but he'd end up catching a taxi instead. Then the taxi would crash and the other driver would turn out to be someone he hadn't seen for years. In the "synchronicity highway" version, he zips forward so he's stood at the crash without all of the annoying bits inbetween. Bascially, he gets from A to Z without passing through points B-Y, although as far as the universe is aware, he did everything as he was supposed to.

John can do werid stuff.

John can do werid stuff.

Yeah, I guess that's pretty much what I was saying. :)

Okay here's a stumper that has always bugged me since I first started reading Hellblazer during Garth Ennis' run; where is John's place in DC continuity anyway. I mean he was in an issue of Crisis and in Forty, and some other issues I'm sure, he's hanging out with Zatanna and Swamp Thing two characters who exist in and are part of the regular DC world, ie. Supes, Bats, and Wonder Gal's world. So what gives, is Johnny boy in the DCU or some other stand alone universe, and if it's the latter how does one explain these obvious incongruities? :blink:

We talk about this a lot....there's no one right answer.

I'll let others take a crack at the answer or link you to our other discussions about this.

But what I will mention is that DC considers some characters to be able to exist in both the DCU and the Vertigo Universe (if you can say there is such a universe, proper). Characters like Zatanna, Swamp Thing, or Phantom Stranger (a few others) can be hanging with the JLA in a DC comic and then show up in a Vertigo comic. They are characters who can exist in both worlds.

As far as J.C., currently he is exclusive rights to Vertigo titles (not that there are any left that aren't creator owned, other than Deadman which I want to forget, and completely individualized universes, unto their own right). He is currently not able to be used in any DC Universe titles anymore.

That explains a lot. Thanks Christian for such a concise answer. I just think it sucks that they don't allow him to randomly pop up now and then in the DCU. It would have been interesting to see him randomly pop up in Infinite Crisis or 52.

He appeared in Dr Fate in, I think, 2003, but it was a one-panel cameo.

It does suck quite badly, though. Especially when they're doing mature readers JLA comics where Sue Dibny gets raped, murdered and burned.