wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

I know folks high in occult circles, so called "contacted" individuals, who will not drive for this reason.

I hope I'm not the only one who thought that this was funny.

How so, and why?

Even if due to mild mental illness, it shows remarkable responsibility to not drive, knowing they might get pulled out of reality at any moment.

I just think it's funny that people actually believe in that stuff. Not driving because you might be "contacted" is just a silly thing to hear about.

I agree, as you might garner from reading what I've written elsewhere, but they deeply believe it and are sincere, good hearted people. Much the same as any religious folk.

If only the fuckin' alien abductees would be as responsible.

Driving around backroads at night, getting sucked out of their cars into alien operating rooms. Let me tell you, these aliens who steal ova from women without permission, they don't give a fuck to make sure that the cars are off!

Just freakin' stay home and get abducted from your freakin' beds! You have the fuckin' implants! They can find you anywhere!

It's why I don't drive anymore. I feel that my chances of being killed by an out-of-control, driverless car as a result of alien abductions are very great.

And can anyone tell me what the hell HB 157 was all about?I've read it a few times and it doesn't make any sense to me at all,and i really liked most of Azzarellos run alot so I figured i must have missed some connection to another issue or character?

I thought that issue blew, too. Perhaps Azz had something in mind that he couldn't quite get to work.

What was that issue about?

(And please, no snarky answers like "32 pages" or "$2.99," athankyew.)

EDIT: I guess some Englishman wrote up a synopsis of that issue on some Irishman's fansite. I still don't remember it except for the derivative ending.

Well, thanks a lot Trace! I dug out the issue and recapped it for you and you found the synopsis on another site!

John Constantine walks into a bar.

Two men are waiting for a third man.

John meets Agent Turro.

The third man arrives, showing the two men a picture of a mercenary they thought they killed years ago.

The three men argue about whether the man came back to life or different alternative explanations for how the man is still alive, or if he's even still alive.

Turro gives John a note that he doesn't want any part of, until he finally reads the paper and sees the word "Highwater". Agent Turro namedrops Katrina, which makes John decide to follow up on Turro's note, leading to the next story-arc.

It's an homage story that doesn't really work.

Ah,glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought 157 was kinda shit.Though I like alot of Azzarello's smaller tales like Mad dogs..etc.and 168 a Fresh coat of red paint is great fun too.

I agree with that.

#157 is on my list of Worst Hellblazer Stories.

I enjoyed Azzarello's shorter stories the most from his run, except for #157.

I thought Mad Dogs " " was Azzarello's best story on the book, and A Fresh Coat """ is one of my personal favourites. I thought that was a really fun and different type of story for H.B., even though most fans didn't like it.

What? You mean you missed the Brian Azzarello written Hellblazer Special that spotlighted the dog who sucked off John during Good Intentions?! You missed a classic!

Mad Dogs and English Men....

sigh....I just copied the guy above me. Second time I got in control doing that.

Yes, we're talking about Lap Dogs and English Men.

Yeah,lap dogs.I think mad dogs and englishman is an album title,and there's no harm in falsely identifying a Brian Azzarello story title since they all suck.

Well, thanks a lot Trace! I dug out the issue and recapped it for you and you found the synopsis on another site!

John Constantine walks into a bar.

Two men are waiting for a third man.

John meets Agent Turro.

The third man arrives, showing the two men a picture of a mercenary they thought they killed years ago.

The three men argue about whether the man came back to life or different alternative explanations for how the man is still alive, or if he's even still alive.

Turro gives John a note that he doesn't want any part of, until he finally reads the paper and sees the word "Highwater". Agent Turro namedrops Katrina, which makes John decide to follow up on Turro's note, leading to the next story-arc.

It's an homage story that doesn't really work.

The only reason I read that issue is for Steve Dillon, but when I read it the first time it left me confused.

I liked Freezes Over and #168, but I still fell discomfort with Azzarello's final arc (reason:very little John,only flashbacks of him.

Yeah,lap dogs.I think mad dogs and englishman is an album title

Yeah, Joe Cocker. But it originated in a song by Noel Coward; the lyric was "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun".

What? You mean you missed the Brian Azzarello written Hellblazer Special that spotlighted the dog who sucked off John during Good Intentions?! You missed a classic!

That was a male dog, too. So Constantine must be bi.

That was a male dog, too. So Constantine must be bi.

Was it a cockapoo?

so...he CAN drive an automatic, but doesn't, I guess, LIKE to drive. And I suppose the expense of owning a car and parking or garaging it (he doesn't live in the nicest neighborhoods) and paying taxes and paying for petrol and having a license and all that is just too much trouble. Makes sense. I was thinking he ended up drunk in the slammer too many times to qualify for a license. As for control issues...i dunno. You'd think he's like being in control of a car. You know, going fast, running over perps, stuff like that.

I remember the issue of him behind the wheel without a clue. That was fun.

Thanks for the info.

Given that he's usually based in London he doesn't necessarily need to be able to drive most the time.

hey is there a webisite that list characters that appeared in hellblazer?, because there a few I would like to more about like Rick the Vic and some others.

I'd love to help you, but I honestly don't know what you're asking for.

"There a few I would like to more about"?

Would you like to read more about them (if so, you're out of luck, since none of those characters have appeared outside of Hellblazer). Know more about them (in which case you'd probably be best off scouring sites like answers.com and wikipedia - there's a few pages of information about various Hellblazer supporting characters on our host's website here, but nothing about the characters you mention, I'm afraid).

Poorly-written posts being annoying to read is one thing, but when they cross the line into incomprehensibility, I feel justified in getting a bit pissy about it.

Since you understood the sense of it and it's clearly only missing one word, you are not justified.

sorry I was typing late at night, I meant I would like to learn more about some of the characters in Hellblazer like Rick The Vic, and Map, like does Map have a backstory? I mean John did say Map could be The King of Magicians, or whatever happen to Zed.

I sorry for my misstyping

Don't apologise to the grammar nazi.

Your post was far from the worse abuse of the English language I've seen on this board this week.

Since you understood the sense of it and it's clearly only missing one word, you are not justified.

sorry I was typing late at night, I meant I would like to learn more about some of the characters in Hellblazer like Rick The Vic, and Map, like does Map have a backstory? I mean John did say Map could be The King of Magicians, or whatever happen to Zed.

I sorry for my misstyping

That's fine. I'm sorry for being a dick about it, which was far more objectionable than a bit of mis-typing. I was in a bad mood, and overreacted.

The link I posted in my last reply has information on a few of those characters, at least - dunno if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's the best I can find. Hope it helps...