wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

hi guys i just wanted to know what issue john meets batman in? is it a swamp thing issue? or crisis on infinite earths? as a long time dc fan i've only just picked up hellblazer in the past four years and it is fucking excellent. salute to the writers and artists. my only dissapointent is that i picked it up so late in life and that hellblazer is no longer being published much to my dismay. john just isnt the same mean fucker in the watered down new 52 version. alas i will make do with a hellblazer marathon. also i think matt ryan is perfect as john

• Upvote 2

thanks for that, also i read that john once escaped from arkham asylum is that true? and how the hell did he bloody manage that?

hi guys i just wanted to know what issue john meets batman in? is it a swamp thing issue? or crisis on infinite earths? as a long time dc fan i've only just picked up hellblazer in the past four years and it is fucking excellent. salute to the writers and artists. my only dissapointent is that i picked it up so late in life and that hellblazer is no longer being published much to my dismay. john just isnt the same mean fucker in the watered down new 52 version. alas i will make do with a hellblazer marathon. also i think matt ryan is perfect as john

The Brightest Day tie-in Search for Swamp Thing and as for COIE, Swamp Thing #44:

ST44.jpg

As for the Arkham question, he managed to escape during the Batman-Croc confrontation

solid effort lads, thanks for all of that. just one last question, was tim hunters first appearance in books of magic or has he been around before that? i started off with the new 52 constantine and justice league dark before i picked up hellblazer again and i feel like im missing a whole lot of information

As demon chas said, he was created off the back of Neil Gaiman's excellent series.

This has the advantage of being a brilliant story that tells you all about the DC magical characters and more, but has NO connection to the DC52 other than being a glimpse into better thngs.

The ongoing series is less to do with the DCU and has never been completed in trades (Peter Gross's final 25 issues not collected).

I liked that series a lot.

• Upvote 4

Ha. Folks here know an awful lot about shit.

Mostly I know about Hellblazer, stuff from the 90s and the occasional modern comic.

• Upvote 3

top man you are then mate. just wondering if anyone knows what issue harry cooper gets john out of ravenscar to ressurect his son? im reading son of man, (i fucken miss sean phillips art) and i was wanting to know more of the backstory, thanks in advance

I may be misremembering, but I don't think that's actually covered in any earlier issues. Ennis just included that backstory in the Son of Man story.

• Upvote 3

why does john look like fucken mickey rourke in hard time? at least the art in good intentions makes up for the previous, in fact i think i perfer john drawn that way

• Upvote 1

He looks that way because he's drawn by Richard Corben, who has a very distinctive artistic style. It's not to everyones' tastes. I think Corben's pretty good, but I'm not sure his style fitted HB.

• Upvote 2

I'd say the same about Azzarello, though I'd amend it to 'pretty good at what he does.'

I kind of wish he'd just hurry up and write a script that was literally a bunch of guys measuring their cocks, with joker grins on their faces, and pictures of busty women in the background. As long as they kept making terrible puns, I doubt anybody'd notice the difference.

• Upvote 1

Corben is one of my all time favorite artists, but his stuff really didn't suit this comic very well. His work on Hellboy was much better, as I think it's more suited to his style. If you really want a treat track down some Den. Azz's best arc, imo.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Corben's art style can be quite good on the appropriate comic books. It didn't fit with Hellblazer. All the characters looked like munchkins.

He does a good job on Lovecraft-inspired-type stories and stuff like that.

Azzarello is actually one of the worst writers, at what he does. He's a much better writer when he's forced to change his style. Books that seem like they'd be perfect for a writer like Azzarello turn out to be stereotypical trash, while books that seem like Azzarello shouldn't be writing turn out to be quite good. He's a writer who doesn't understand his own strengths as a writer.

• Upvote 1

while books that seem like Azzarello shouldn't be writing turn out to be quite good.

Like Wonder Woman?

• Upvote 2

It was a digital signature of the guy who used to do pirated scans of most Vertigo comics, back in the day.

I had a good laugh when I saw his signature on a cover tweeted by someone from the Constantine TV show.

• Upvote 2

it's kind of obvious when he sees her again, and of course it was poorly done, if that gives you a hint.