wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

1) We haven't heard from Zed at all since issue #40, barring Rosacarnis' version of her in #200, and the brief reference Clarice makes to her in #202 (if these hints mean she may be making a return to the comic after all these years, I say hurrah, incidentally).

2) Effectively, yes. Last we heard, anyway.

3) Again, yes. Although he did briefly appear at the auction Ghant held in #199 (or so one would assume...it was somewhat hard to tell, with Frusin's, errr....'eccentric' pencils), and turned up with the First in #195.

4) It's never been made entirely clear, but one could credibly speculate that it's a combination of her heritage as a Constantine, and a rebellion against her parents (particularly Tony Masters), who want nothing to do with John's world. If I were to get all mock-psychoanalytical, I'd speculate that Gemma's interest in the occult can be traced right back to issue #04, 'Waiting for the Man', in which she's the victim of a rather unpleasant assault by a magician (in much the same way as many victims of physical assault subsequently take self-defence classes, she may have viewed magic as some form of empowerment, to avoid ever being put in that situation again. Ironic, really, since her subsequent involvement in magic has got Gemma into far more trouble than would presumably have been the case otherwise). The earliest issue in which we see Gemma taking an active interest in magic is #62, 'End of the Line' - wherein Kit, John's then-girlfriend, apparently convinces Gemma that her uncle is not, perhaps, the best role-model a young girl could hope to emulate.

5) From books, mainly, as far as we've seen so far. There've been numerous hints about John's early magical investigations, but to some extent, it remains a mystery. The earliest magical incident we've yet seen in his life is related in issue #35, 'The Dead Boy's Heart', but a more relevant story to check out would be #31'. 'Mourning of the Magician', wherein we see what remains one of the most significant magical acts of John's early life. See the issue summaries on the main 'Straight To Hell' site for more details.

Hope that helps....

What Mark said, although...

2) Nergal is dead right?

After John got him torn up by an angel in issue 12, he returned to Hell to plot revenge. He appeared in a two-part Swamp Thing story that saw his principality of Hell destroyed by Anton Arcane then disappeared again.

The last time he was seen was in Hellblazer 61, in which he confronted The First of the Fallen over his claim to Constantine's soul. The First, irritated by Nergal, transformed him back into a human soul and ripped his arms off. He then told the hapless creature that he could return to full demonhood in a few thousand years. But time moves differently in Hell, and it could be that Nergal is just waiting in the wings to make his move.

5) How did John learn magic?

Self-taught. We see in #31 that he was reading arcane texts as a young teenager back in Liverpool until his dad burnt them all. He also mixed in magic circles (though presumably not The Magic Circle) after coming to London, so he probably picked up futher techniques there.

Thanks, James. I knew Nergal had been seen since #12, but it's been a while since I read the Ennis issues, so I couldn't for the life of me remember where...

Alright to change the subject now I have some questions about the Azzaerllo run. I'm not a instant Azz-basher and I read his entire run as it was realeased but there are a couple questions that have always bothered me:

1. I'm still not totally sure why John allowed himself to go to jail. I don't accept it was over the guilt of Lucky's death. And if it was to fake his own death to get Manor off his back, well then why did he immediatly go to Doglick where any of the Fermin bros. could have rung up Manor to tell him John's still alive? Now I know Brian had to start his run off with a bang but within the confines of the story, it doesn't make much sense to me.

2. At the end of issue #167, what was Lucky's revelation about the real reason he commited suicide? And why did it make John so mad?

(oh and who was that mysterous stranger at the end of 'Lapdogs and Englishmen?) :icon_rolleyes:

1) because Turro engineered him to jail and he thought he'd go along.

I never bought the "guilt" thing either.

2) dunno, probably something like "I was paid to do it"

3) blimey ! I bet that's who is doing the narrative in "Reasons to be Cheerful" !

(I think it was a loose end that Azzarello was going to revisit. If it was meant to be SW Manor, it was poorly executed.)

About Lucky's revelation, it is explained in #172.

Basically, the Lucky became a petty thief, and Stanley Manor offered him a truckload of money if he killed himself and made it look like Constantine had done it, so he would go to prison, where he'd suffer and ultimately die.

At first, Lucky refused, but his wife convinced him to do it. So, Lucky got John to hold the gun, and, in Manor's words, "when he had it back in his hand... he put it to his head... And his wife became rich."

I have a question, though.

Why is Frank Turro white during Ashes and Dust?

Wait a fucking second! He payed a guy to top himself?! Why the fuck would someone kill themselves for money?! So, their loved ones don't have to worry about paying the exhorbitant funeral costs?!

I mean, it's not like you're going to be around to spend the stuff!

And, his wife convinced him?! I think I would've went for a fucking divorce instead!

Don't think I have the issues in question but I believe there's a life insurance policey in there...or possibly Manor just promised a large payout - either way, if memory serves, Lucky offed himself to keep his wife in cash.

I mean, I guess I could see doing it if you had a wife and kid and felt like you were a bad provider for your family, and that was the only way your family was going to make better. But, having your wife telling you to do it.... :blink:

That'd be the point I'd leave it all behind!

It was all down to his inferiority complex and his wife's allure.

What got me about the whole thing is that it hinged on John feeling guilty for Lucky blowing his head off - Constantine has problem enough feeling guilty for some of the nasty shit he's done so why should he give a toss about Lucky topping himself ?

Having said that, my ideal Hellblazer writer would be a cross between Azzarello and Carey.

So, Lucky got John to hold the gun, and, in Manor's words, "when he had it back in his hand... he put it to his head... And his wife became rich."

Does any art ever show John handling the gun, and does anyone ever explain why John handled the gun?

(BTW, this would be at least the fifth time John handled a gun, though if he only handled it I wouldn't call it a gun use, unlike the other four. (For now, I'm ignoring any handling of the anti-demon lever action Winchester.))

I have a question, though.

Why is Frank Turro white during Ashes and Dust?

Good question. He looked much better as Corben's black FBI man.

The whole scene in question in issue #150 seems kind of odd. Lucky puts the pistol in John's face, then gives it to John who puts it in Lucky's face, then gives it back to Lucky and tells him to "collect your own bounty" and then BAM.

I didn't really get the vibe that Turro was black in this issue anymore than John was a midget made of clay.

I wondered about Turro's apparent change of colour too. He was white in the Dillon-illustrated "...And Buried?" issue as well. Bradstreet always drew him as white, though.

maybe he just had a heavy suntan, while veryone who was in prison was pale from not seeing the sun so long, so he only looked black in comparison to John, the pasty-faced english boy, used to the London fog and smog.

maybe he just had a heavy suntan, while veryone who was in prison was pale from not seeing the sun so long, so he only looked black in comparison to John, the pasty-faced english boy, used to the London fog and smog.

Good point.

The fact is that Ashes and Dust has just arrived to Spain so I got it fresh. I don't think Lucky was paid to suicide, I'm more likely that he was blackmailed or menaced, and his wife pulled him a little bit, so he BANG!ed his head.

What left me cold was... the bisexuality of John Constantine. He's a fuck machine (in both senses of 'fuck', and in both senses of 'both'). I suppose it's one of his magical powers- the conversion to bisexual. Kissing guys ain't specially funny, I know what I'm saying... And I suppose that jerking other ain't too...

Does the character change a lot after the walk on the gay side? I suppose not, but...

He was established as having had boyfriends back in issue 51.

Personally I didn't have a problem with it. Firstly, he always struck me as the kind of guy who'd be up for anything and secondly because he was doing it to fuck up Manor, not because he genuinely loved him.

He was established as having had boyfriends back in issue 51.

Personally I didn't have a problem with it. Firstly, he always struck me as the kind of guy who'd be up for anything and secondly because he was doing it to fuck up Manor, not because he genuinely loved him.

Oh, alright then. I haven't read the #51. I suppose he is bisexual for choice, not because he is a represive gay or other deep psychological explanation. In fact he might be bisexual for vice, as he flirted with a monkey and had sex with a dog. Yes, yes, in the first case he did it to 'fuck up' the owner of the monkey and in the other case he was fucked up with drugs, but anyway...

I abused of the F word, sorry.

A friend of mine (Little Bocos, one of the knives collector I know) told me that he sees clear that lesbians have psychic powers. I have to tell him that bisexual men have too :cool:

Tell us how your RPG goes.

The character's already done, just left to define John's magick (pentagram of protection, invocking purgatides, maybe exorcism...). The gamemaster and some of the players begin our exams at the end of January so I suppose the game will start in February. I'll tell you then in the 'Roleplayers: Spain Needs You' topic.

Till then, I'll suffer my exams.

Guest The Wizard

SPOLIER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T READ "RAKE AT THE GATES OF HELL"!!!

I have a question regarding the fate of Ric the Vic. Ric was always one of my favourite characters, despite my not knowing any of his backstory due to only reading the TPBs. I always felt it rather sad to think that he ended up in Hell. Does he appear again in the comics after that story arc, or are we to assume that he remains consigned to his fate?

He's never been seen since (well, except for a brief flashback in 'Son of Man' from when he was still alive, and - I think - a cameo among the roll-call of the dead in #120), so I'm afraid that's his lot.

There isn't much backstory for Rick which doesn't appear in the trades, to be honest. In fact, does he actually appear in any of the uncollected Ennis issues? I don't remember him doing so...

I've recently been gorging myself like a happy little pig on old HB issues, thanks to the wonerful little (but oh so EVIL) guy called Mark. I've now read up to "Playing with fire" and have a question:

Does John still owe the First his soul, or did Jesus clear all that up?

There isn't much backstory for Rick which doesn't appear in the trades, to be honest. In fact, does he actually appear in any of the uncollected Ennis issues? I don't remember him doing so...

Nope, first appearance is at John's birthday party.