wolfram

Hellblazer Q&A

I've recently been gorging myself like a happy little pig on old HB issues, thanks to the wonerful little (but oh so EVIL) guy called Mark. I've now read up to "Playing with fire" and have a question:

Does John still owe the First his soul, or did Jesus clear all that up?

We have no solid evidence one way or the other.

My pleasure. That beer you owe me will be all the thanks I require...

As for your query - it's never been so much as hinted at since. Your guess is honestly as good as mine.

What was up with John having those Nightmares all the time. It seemed like they stopped for awhile.

I also noticed that During Delano's early stuff. John didnt use the LSeazy jedi Mind Trick stuff he's used during Ennis's run..

If it's the Newcastle Flashback nightmares you're talking about, Morpheus (the Sandman) helped John get rid of them in Sandman #3 (it's in the Preludes and Nocturnes TPB). That's what the brief cameo appearance in HB #19 is about.

As for the different magic tricks John's used through the years...chalk that up to different writers having different ideas on how to play the magic element to the stories. The extent and nature of John's abilities has never been entirely cut-and-dried anyway, so whatever tricks, or spells, or whatever any writer wants to use in any particular story are pretty much OK. Nothing more to it than that, I'd say.

It was the newcastle Ones, and the ones where before he got the demon blood in him. He had a dream he was having sex with Zeds skeleton in a movie theatre, and then he had another one while he was on the beach. and that he had a two heades seal baby from this girl he saw..

I think it was mostly just to emphasise how seeing the kind of things John sees can realy fuck you up. Humanising the ultra-cool and collected character from Swamp Thing, you know?

Then, as Mark says, John helped out Morpheus (in Sandman #3 and Hellblazer #19) and in return had his nightmares quashed. He still gets them, but not with the regularity that he used to.

My pleasure. That beer you owe me will be all the thanks I require...

As for your query - it's never been so much as hinted at since. Your guess is honestly as good as mine.

This is one dangling thread along with the existence of the Demon Constantine that I hope Carey ties up in his last big 'John in Hell' arc.

Red-Personally, i always read that story as the First still won.

RE:Ric The Vic-He also made a brief flashback appearance in that Ennis story in "Winter's Edge" (All those Little Boys and Girls). Story takes place after his death. I love that story!

Ah yes....John without "super powers" and those recurring nightmares/terrors. And some people still wonder why Jamie Delano is the God of Hellblazer writers! :biggrin: Just two more reasons....

Has John ever encountered crazy Soccor Holigans? And if so.WHat was his reaction an how did he deal with them? Was it very funny or what?

Has John ever encountered crazy Soccor Holigans? And if so.WHat was his reaction an how did he deal with them? Was it very funny or what?

I suppose the issue you're asking about/referring to is issue #101 by Paul Jenkins where John goes to a football/soccer game with friends and because of his ability to see through the disguises of halfbreeds/demons finds a monster who claims to be 'havoc incarnate' and bluffs him into leaving but only if he could take one soul of John's choosing to which Constantine picks a hooligan who is thusly killed by the demon.

Not a very funny story nor a particulary good one at that. Not a terrible one however but nothing special.

Issue #101's entire plot revolved around Soccer riots though.

I actually think it was the most boring issue of "Hellblazer", ever! I'm just not into sports at all, which could be why I was so bored by it....

Yeah I think remember that issue. I got it. It was actually quite funny in how John tricked the 4 headed beast-man.

That Reminds me. I still need to continue reading up to #40.lol. I'll prolly do that after weds when I board them all and reorange all my comics.

because of his ability to see through the disguises of halfbreeds/demons

You're getting confused with the movie, man! Our John's just so used to dealing with the occult, he can tell when something odd is happening.

Thankyou, James. I was going to take issue with that one, too.

'Most boring issue ever', Christian? That'd be 'Sundays Are Different', methinks.

Sundays are different bored me as well.

"It's a funny old game" (101) was a decent issue, IMHO. I kinda agree with the take on hooliganism as a "tribal identity" thing for disenfranchised working classes who have lost their class conciousness. The occult angle was OK, and kinda essential in a HB story, but the main focus was elsewhere.

because of his ability to see through the disguises of halfbreeds/demons

You're getting confused with the movie, man! Our John's just so used to dealing with the occult, he can tell when something odd is happening.

I was typing that with my tounge in my cheek but it has been stated in the book that John is more sensitive to the presense of ghosts, demons, monsters, chupacabras, etc. Although it's nothing quite so cinematic as the Demonvision he displays in the film.

When the fuck did John Constantine meet the Chupacabra?! DAMMIT! I knew he did!!! It's the issue you are all holding out on me, isn't it?!

Come on! WHEN?! I MUST KNOW! Was it the "Hellblazer meets Chupacabra Special"????

Poker has come up at least once in HB, and though I never found out what card game JC was hustling in #200, I'd like to know if poker is a popular gambling game in Britain, or at least in your part of Britain? And, under what circumstances is gambling, especially in card games, legal in Britain?