TearsInRain

Van Helsink compared with Constantine????

Insane manslaughtering junkies and boozing, smoking and swearing heretics have no place in Hollywood !

(And yes, of course I meant Daredevil. Although Ang Lee's had it now, I want Zhang Yimou to direct the proper Daredevil.)

Well this won't go over well but I actually enjoyed the American remake of Le Femm - what was it Point of No Return with Bridget Fonda.  maybe it was because I saw it first, then Le Femm.  I know, I should be drawn and quartered for admitting such sacreligious actions

as Mr. Brown noticed - i was referring to the Peta Wilson spy-soapera, where Michael (Roy Dupois) would whisper. every. single. line. with. meaningful. pauses.

I don't understand the undying devotion of "the Matrix", period! Yes, the first Matrix was a damn good movie, but it's not like it was that original of a concept! The fact that they stretched it out into a Trilogy was what bothered me. I didn't see the reason! I get so annoyed at these people going, "I've never seen anything like the Matrix! It must be the most original idea of all time! Those men who made it are geniuses!" NO! The only thing we hadn't seen before was all the nifty special effects they crammed into the movie. That was cool and all....

sigh.

i preferred Matrix when it was called "They Live". though i didn't mind the first movie at all. but i still like Dark City better.

For some reason this post prompted me to order Son of Man from Amazon yesterday. I got in before the last posting date so I should get it in time for Christmas. That's my Christmas present to myself sorted out.

:smile:

and that's my "corrupt the youth" deed of the day sorted out.

re The Hulk - if they were going to make the big cerebral "Hulk Think!" they should have rejected the toy manufacturer items like Hulk Dogs and made his father less of an over-acted scenery chewer. They did not.

In fact, if the directors of the two second tier Marvel movies had been swapped, we'd have had two better films. (Ang Lee, don't make me Ang Lee!)

heh. Blame Paul Jenkins for the Hulk Dogs :D

I thought they were whispering they lines. I had to turn up the volume nearly to max just to hear or understand what they were saying...

I still need to check out the Directors Cut of Daredevil. I kinda liked it..

The only thing I didnt like was how it was never mentioned how he got his training an combat skills.

If you liked Dark City, how about the director's latest - I'Robit?

I though it was okay and for added enjoyment it has Akiva G. on the commentary track. It would have been a heck of a lot better though without Will Smith and his oh so comical personality, though. His 'black man' hip personality is as real as his getto rap singing career.

I, reebok never happened, as far as i'm concerned.

The director was... eh... drunk, yeah, that's it!

To be fair, I don't think Smith ever claimed to be "ghetto." In fact, he was pretty much dead set against the topics covered by most rap stars (drug abuse, violence and swearing).

Yeah, James is right. I watched "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" when it was on TV, and it was co-created/produced by Will Smith. His whole point in making the show was to give black youth a more positive role model and outlook in life than what most of the other rap stars were into. Plus, it was a good, funny show!

And, from there, he became a movie star.....

I actually watched "I, reboot" a couple of days ago, and yes, it is bad. Will Smith is only partially to blame, but now I actually want to read the book, because I have a hard time believing it can be as silly as this movie.

One thing I've always wondered: Why, when every entry-level computer-programmer would know it's NOT A GOOD IDEA to have every single piece of hardware joined to the same system, does a LOT of movies include this? It's like, in the future, people just become stupid:

"Hey, let's give this ONE SINGLE computer total access to all our military and technical systems. Yeah, that's a good idea..."

I actually watched "I, reboot" a couple of days ago, and yes, it is bad. Will Smith is only partially to blame, but now I actually want to read the book

Good choice. I think you'll find it worth your time.

I never saw the movie but heard on the radio some promo dialogue between Will Smith and the robot he suspected of murdering someone. Smith was okay as the cop, but the other actor just didn't work at all as one of Asimov's robots, ranting hysterical in denying his guilt.

Am I right in understanding that the movie basically mangled or dumped Asimov's three laws of robotics? If so, what was the point of making the movie then? Some things seem flamingly obvious, and that straying from the three laws would eviscerate the material they were basing the movie on is one of them.

I think they could have made a perfectly good movie based closely on many or most of the stories of the book, and could have dropped the cop angle borrowed from Asimov's Caves of Steel. (Does every other Hollywood movie have to be a cop show??) But I guess then they couldn't have turned I, Robot into a retarded American action movie. (The more time I spend here, the more contempt I have for the action movie genre as a whole.)

the "I, Robot" collection, and the Elijah Bailey trilogy are well worth anyone;s time, as they're simply great books.

Am I right in understanding that the movie basically mangled or dumped Asimov's three laws of robotics?  If so, what was the point of making the movie then?  Some things seem flamingly obvious, and that straying from the three laws would eviscerate the material they were basing the movie on is one of them.

It was originally a completely different script, but they grafted the I, Robot licence onto it to give it some kind of plausibility.

Or so I've read.