Hellblazer #229

26 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #229

Hellblazer #229

fhb229.jpg

(W) Mike Carey

(A) John Paul Leon

(Cover) Lee Bermejo

In this unforgettable one-shot story, Mike Carey and John Paul Leon (THE WINTER MEN) tell a twisted tale of things that aren't what they seem. Constantine happens upon an argument between twin sisters that turns into a hunt through London for mysterious items to quell the sibling fire. But when a bizarre sickness begins to shadow him, he realizes he'll need help from some "special" friends to get him out of this terrifying, deadly mess.

I suppose it would be a cliche to say that this issue was a 'return to form' but it did feel more like something from the 90s era Garth Ennis than anything from the recent Mike Carey years. Perhaps it was the somewhat retro, almost B&W, art. In fact I'm surprised it wasn't presented as a flashback to one of Constantine the Younger's tales.

"This is a companion piece to your 'I shagged a lesbian' story, isn't it John?

"Not really Ade"

These were the best lines in the issue and even if they wern't meant to be a inside joke, I'm taking them to be.

Not bad, but we've seen this 100 times before with Hellblazer, haven't we?

It reminded me of a Warren Ellis era issue.

I gave it a 7.

I'm really hoping Diggle brings something new, because I'm really sad to say this, but I think I'm starting to get tired of John Constantine right now.

Ade is a reference to Adrian Brown, right? Now, Adrian is actually a character in Hellblazer, isn't he?

Ade is a reference to Adrian Brown, right? Now, Adrian is actually a character in Hellblazer, isn't he?

Now the old man can finally shuffle off his mortal coil in peace.

If I didn't know he was on hols at the moment, I'd worry that he hasn't been around in a few days.

Hey nice to see The Lesbian Joke, Chalice, Watford, Kev and...Ade?

I love me some Leon artwork but arrghh the heinous Hellblazer Inker/Colourist has struck again.

Because it was/is his Birthday Christian's right, we have seen this before.

However post The Red Right Hand, this issue worked quite nicely

This issue, or atleast the tale slots in snuggly between Black Flowers and Staring at the Wall.

A solid seven, just let down by the colouring/inking/paper/whatsit.

P.S-Dear Mr Diggle we all know what happens to John's friends, so could you "kill" Adrian quite horribly. :unsure:

Guest spiderlegs
I suppose it would be a cliche to say that this issue was a 'return to form' but it did feel more like something from the 90s era Garth Ennis than anything from the recent Mike Carey years. Perhaps it was the somewhat retro, almost B&W, art. In fact I'm surprised it wasn't presented as a flashback to one of Constantine the Younger's tales.

It gave me a Jenkins/Phillips type feel, which is odd because there's is the period on HB with which I'm least familiar.

I agree with the the Jenkins feel. This issue felt like classic Hellblazer to me, so i gave it a 10. I enjoyed every page. And i especially liked seeing Ade in the book.

I will say this, what is with the ink on the covers? I got thru reading the issue, and my fingerprints had smeared splotches all over it. Am i going to have to start reading comics with cotton gloves on? My hands weren't greasy or anything, and it was the second book i read yesterday, and i didn't have that problem with the first?

Wow! Some of us feel that this has an Ennis-feel, I felt it had an Ellis-feel, and now we've got nominations for a Jenkins-feel.

Test-So, this story took place between Black Flowers and Staring at the Wall? I was going to ask when this took place.

Wow! Some of us feel that this has an Ennis-feel, I felt it had an Ellis-feel, and now we've got nominations for a Jenkins-feel.

Test-So, this story took place between Black Flowers and Staring at the Wall? I was going to ask when this took place.

Will his tale did atleast.

I'll read it again to be sure.

Chalice is still alive here, didn't he croak during Staring at the Wall?

John thanks Kev for the lift.

Now that may not necessarily be the same lift from Blackflowers.

Which was only because Chas couldn't and they had not fallen out just yet.

The fall out with Chas may affected John's relationship with Kev too.

However I dont recall when John lived in King's Cross.

After returning from Liverpool(High on Life) I think he lived in Clerkenwell all the way up to the events of Staring at The Wall.

And off of the top of my mind I can't match the date John gives (August?) to any specifc date during Carey's his run.

Now the old man can finally shuffle off his mortal coil in peace.

If I didn't know he was on hols at the moment, I'd worry that he hasn't been around in a few days.

I cannot appear in two metaphysical planes at once, so in order to appear in your comics, I had to disappear off the internet.

P.S-Dear Mr Diggle we all know what happens to John's friends, so could you "kill" Adrian quite horribly. :unsure:

A pessimist is never disappointed.

After returning from Liverpool(High on Life) I think he lived in Clerkenwell all the way up to the events of Staring at The Wall.

And off of the top of my mind I can't match the date John gives (August?) to any specifc date during Carey's his run.

The Clerkenwell Guest House,

Kings Cross,

WC1 8AE.

(An incomplete non-existent postcode, mostly missing an X after the 1)

I loved it. I gave it a nine. It's a good time to start reading Hellblazer again, eh? I think it had sort of an Ellis feel, but even that much, really.

Loved the issue too. Add me to the "Ellis feel" list.

Also, it was nice to see John out of the sodding trenchcoat after so long, even if just for a bit.

The Clerkenwell Guest House,

Kings Cross,

WC1 8AE.

(An incomplete non-existent postcode, mostly missing an X after the 1)

Slaps own forehead.

10-15 years ago this would have been an average one-shot but now it might be the best single issue in well over a year.

I'm also thinking that it's supposed to take place after "Red Right Hand" but it feels like it could be a story from just about any time in Constantine's history.

Ennis-like? Ellis-like? Jenkins-like? Most importantly of all, it was not Mina-like. I admit this went a long way to me enjoying this issue, well that and it is Mike Carey. The art was good but not too good. I have never been overly impressed with Leon. I guess I have just become used to Manco (at least when colors are not screwed up). I gave it an 8.

Heh...I thought this was the best-illustrated issue of Hellblazer in a long time, myself - quite reminiscent of Michael Lark's work on Gotham Central, which is pretty high praise. I'd be very happy indeed if Leon took over from Manco, whose work I've lost all patience with of late. Sure, he's great when he's on form, but that's not much comfort when his art is rushed, scrappy and inconsistent as frequently as it has been over the past two years or so.

As to the writing...well, it wasn't bad. Definitely benefitted from context - had this come out in the middle of Carey's run, I doubt it'd have been so popular - but it had some nice dialogue, and a perfectly-decent, if thin, central premise. It could have done with a little more substance, I thought - just because it's a one-shot doesn't mean it has to be entirely disposable - but that's fair enough for what was, essentially, a quick fill-in issue from an inventory script.

So, good script, insubstantial-but-decent story, excellent art...I'll give it a 7, because I'm in a good mood now that Mina's Empathy arc is over.