Sign in to follow this  
Akhira

Warner. commissions JLA film

I know this one's gonna be a money spinner and I don't care what they do with it.

But for all that is holy, please, pleeease keep the Batman out of it. We just got rid of all the cheesy B&R trauma watching Batman Begins. Surely you wouldn't want Superman in it either?

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

There is a dilemma here I think.

If you don't include any of the big guns like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in it then you're left with a team made up of characters that are less well known or not known at all by the wider movie going audience.

As each of those characters have their own individual movie projects going on you'd probably not want to include them in it.

If it were me I'd go for a movie without the three of them in it as you'd still be left with characters like Green Lantern which if done right on screen would look fucking awesome.

I wouldn't mind it if Green Arrow were in it. He's never been successfully brought to the big screen. Nor Wonder Woman. Lesser known shouldn't be such a problem, since a whole generation grew up watching Justice League Animated.

I wouldn't mind it if Green Arrow were in it. He's never been successfully brought to the big screen. Nor Wonder Woman. Lesser known shouldn't be such a problem, since a whole generation grew up watching Justice League Animated.

Yes but weren't Superman and Batman in JLA Animated?

They were, bu that was cartoon aimed a much younger age group. Their Batman is completely different from the rebooted live action BB. He's colder than the 92' animated version, but it's still aimed at a children.

Don't you think that Superman Returns would be incompatible with a JLA live action film?

Don't you think that Superman Returns would be incompatible with a JLA live action film?

No actually.

You can't have the JLA without the big three.

The three characters would have been set up respectively by their own films.

All you have to do is add the Martian Manhunter and some White Martians and.....

Well who am I kidding?

It could be amazing, but it'll smell.

Someone else pointed out on another board that you could easily cover all of their origins in the pre-credits sequence; Superman falling to Earth, Batman avenging his parents etc. Only Martian Manhunter's is a bit tricky to adapt, I think. But who needs him anyway?

But...but, Batman will have to move around in daylight. :ph34r:

Someone else pointed out on another board that you could easily cover all of their origins in the pre-credits sequence; Superman falling to Earth, Batman avenging his parents etc. Only Martian Manhunter's is a bit tricky to adapt, I think. But who needs him anyway?

That was sarcasm right? :tongue:

But seriously: Superman isn't my favourite character. Hence, I've no real opinion or worry about him or Wonder Woman except on principle. It's Batman's characterisation that's giving me the heebie-jeebies. Could you imagine Christian Bale in it? I can't. Supposing they hire another actor to play hime, it could admittedly be interesting but still...shudder.

It could be amazing, but it'll smell.

Exactly.

But...but, Batman will have to move around in daylight. :ph34r:

Why?

Could you imagine Christian Bale in it? I can't.

Why?

I wasn't being very serious with the first comment (truthe be told I'm not very sober right now). To answer the question though: Batman moves around Gotham City as an urban legend. Daylight would take half the mystique out, atleast for me. He will have to rely completely on strength of will and his never give up attitude. Can't imagine Warner Bros. successfully translating it onto the screen. Not with that many major characters crowding the film.

Which brings me to the second question. Christian Bale built up on all those characteristics I've mentioned in the previous paragraph. A nevre-give-up attitude is something he's still developing for his role as Batman. By the time Batman joins the justice league he'd have to be atleast a few years older. Hence my thoughts for a different actor.

Hope that was coherent enough.

I wouldn't worry (or hope) too much.* Studios buy the rights to and commission films of many properties only to never actually make a film of them. If the JLA film does get made within the next 5 years I seriously doubt it will have Superman or Batman (as it would probably be a vehicle for introducing other DC characters that could then get their own 'spin-off' films, a la Wolverine and X-Men). If it gets made 10, 15, or 20 years from now, it will probably have the big 7 (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern...... maybe Hawk(wo)man).

*Good advice for life in general.

I wasn't being very serious with the first comment (truthe be told I'm not very sober right now). To answer the question though: Batman moves around Gotham City as an urban legend.

No: why would he need to be seen in daylight?

Which brings me to the second question. Christian Bale built up on all those characteristics I've mentioned in the previous paragraph. A nevre-give-up attitude is something he's still developing for his role as Batman. By the time Batman joins the justice league he'd have to be atleast a few years older. Hence my thoughts for a different actor.

No reason why they can't set it X years into Batman's reign.

Won't he? Most JLA members move around both day and nighttime. If the comic and animated series are to believed, Batman does too. You know more about than I do. Dunno, it just bothers me for some reason.

It could be set in the future. I'll give you that.

If it were me I'd go for a movie without the three of them in it as you'd still be left with characters like Green Lantern which if done right on screen would look fucking awesome.

And done wrong, he'd be truly appalling, like in that made for telly film from ten odd years back.

(It's interesting debating who is and isn't necessary for the JLA, though: I'd suspect Green Lantern and martian Manhunter in particular are rather more important to the team than any of the big three. It would lead to a problem if they had to include an origin flashback for every sodding character who was involved, though...)

Won't he? Most JLA members move around both day and nighttime. If the comic and animated series are to believed, Batman does too. You know more about than I do. Dunno, it just bothers me for some reason.

You said that he would have to move around in daylight. There's absolutely no reason why a competent scriptwriter - yes, I know - couldn't restrict Batman's appearances to night scenes and have him investigating as Bruce Wayne during the day.

As for the backstories - if they use the big three and tie them into their respective movies, which seems doubtful if they still want to try that Superman/Batman teamup, then that'll be three backstories that you won't have to bother with (and even if they don't, Bats's and Supes's origins have been hardwired into the collective psyche of the US public so that's hardly an issue).

Of the remaining classic JLA b-listers, most have easily digested backstories. You have:

The Flash (police scientist zapped by chemicals)

Zatanna (genetic predisposition to magic)

Green Lantern (guy finds alien tech)

Green Arrow (guy gets realy good with a bow)

Aquaman (Atlantean prince)

Plastic Man (criminal turned stretchy through chemicals)

Red Tornado (intelligent android)

Black Canary (has former superhero mum and metagene shouty power)

Martian Manhunter (okay, his backstory is complicated - Martian brought forward in time by a dying scientist, assumes human identity since he's trapped on Earth)

Of them, you only need two or three and you could easily tie a some of their backstories together (Flash/Plastic Man, Red Tornado/Martian Manhunter) to make it simpler.

Having said that, I reckon they won't use Zatanna (too magical), Aquaman (laughing stock), Green Arrow (Batman in fancy dress, especially Bale Batman with the social conscience), Red Tornado (who?), Black Canary (underpowered) or Martian Manhunter (Superman in a gimp costume).

A Supes/Bats/WW/Flash/Plastic Man - and maybe Green Lantern - combo sounds good to me though. Flash and Plastic Man in particular would help bring a little comedy to the piece (come on! Mismatched cop 'n' criminal forced to team up, with one of them staying on the side of good afterwards? It's a winner!). And it means that you can have a proper, world-spanning widescreen crisis of the sort that superhero movies never seem to really want to try.

And yes, I know I'm spouting off a load of rubbish based on nothing much at all. Chances are, it'll turn out to be an all-b-list movie and the suits will have no idea why nobody wants to see it.

I've become a big fan of The Flash through the animated Justice League shows. I'd like to see Michael Rosenbaum playing him in a live-action film (his voice work in the cartoons is spot-on).

Also, if the studio went the "tie-in" route, we could get a Luthor/Joker team-up to face off against the JL and that would be the fucking business.

Or, Vandal Savage. Also the business.

Hopefully, J.M. DeMatteis (sp?) would be involved in the script writing.

Could it feasibly be done, and done well? Yeah, just about.

Is there any chance at all that it wouldn't get fucked up in the development process? Nope.

They'd have to use a lot of B or C listers. Because I think Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are all owned by different companies.

Not to mention how Huge the budget would be.

They'd have to use a lot of B or C listers. Because I think Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are all owned by different companies.

What?

What?

Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are owned by different film companies.

But what really is going to happen is that this wont go through due to the budget and the actors in involved in each film being tied up with different projects. So unless they make it CG or Animated. It won't work.

I don't know about Wonder Woman, but Batman and Superman are owned by WB (which is part of the same conglomerate DC is).

Only Martian Manhunter's is a bit tricky to adapt, I think. But who needs him anyway?

Me.

Since he's been an essential component and founder of every era of the League apart from the Satellite era and the current big 3/b-list mishmash.

General wisdom is that J'onn is the "soul" of the League and I pretty much agree with that assessment. His back story can be easily absorbed into the main plot (as was done in the JL animated pilot) especially if you use the White Martian as your villains.

A reasonably faithful adaptation of the first JL two-parter would probably make quite a good JLA film, come to think of it. That whole show was easily the best depiction of the team ever, anyway.

Also, I'm with Tom. No J'Onn, no League.

Pfff, you'll be complaining about having Shia LeBoeuf as Woozy Winks next.

Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are owned by different film companies.

Supes and Bats are both owned by WB, which also owns DC. Not sure about Wonder Woman, but I would be genuinely amazed if it turned out that they flogged their third biggest superhero to some third party.