Sign in to follow this  
Trace

How very two-dimensional.

A thread dedicated to news about the latest film adaptations of comics, rpgs, cartoons, etc.

First up:

The Punisher 2

Continuing his crusade to punish violent criminals in America, former FBI agent Frank Castle arrives in New York to take on a underworld boss who plots to take control of the underworld.

Thomas Jane returns to play Castle/Pun

Release date set for November of this year (hah!).

UGH.

The good news: Big Pun finally gets a gritty metropolitan setting.

Sounds like fun to me! I actually like most parts of the last Frankie Baby movie (but I HATED Travolta in it) so I'm looking forward to this.

I enjoyed the first one and I thought Jane did a great job as Castle. I remember reading reviews of the Punisher 2 script a long while ago and I remember it getting praises of how the violence and Castle action was amped up high compared to the first film and that now that they got a lot of the back story out of the way, you could expect the Punisher that's popular in the books. We'll see...

Other projects for Marvel characters currently in development, with release dates for 2008:

Iron Fist

Nick Fury

Luke Cage

Wolverine

2007:

Iron Man

FF 2

Spider-Man 3

The Hands of Shang-Chi

Doctor Strange (animated)

Aaaand in 2009:

Captain America

I wonder if they're actually ever going to make Iron Fist. I've been waiting for that for such a long time ever since it was announced that Ray Park was set to play Iron Fist. I wonder how that's going.

Yeah, but unlike most of those other films I've listed, The Losers should be relatively easy to film since none of the characters have superpowers. Hell, Tony Scott could film all the action/tech sequences in his sleep. Plus, The Losers (to me anyway) read like a comic version of a film--- the pacing, the setup, the plot twists, and the length of the run are practically ready-made for the big screen. I think the comic will be done justice.

Looks decent, will probably be better than the GN (which I didn't care for).

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I read a blurb from Thomas Jane recently (sorry no link) about him backing out of the next Punisher movie.

Bummer, as he was the best part about it.

And it's about time we got a Captain America movie. Given the popularity of comics to film and the current political climate I'm surprised this didn't happen 5 years ago.

I read a blurb from Thomas Jane recently (sorry no link) about him backing out of the next Punisher movie.

Bummer, as he was the best part about it.

And it's about time we got a Captain America movie. Given the popularity of comics to film and the current political climate I'm surprised this didn't happen 5 years ago.

Didn't Tim Bradstreet post about this a few weeks back?

I seem to recall that Thomas Jane reluctantly pulled out as he wanted to do it but was being fucked about by the producers or something.

Yeah, i think Tim posted it earlier.

I think there was some conflict between Jane and the producers in doing it versus doing it right. And if it could not be done right then Jane didn't want to do it, as much as it broke his heart.

I agree.

But if Jane won't be in it because it's not done right then what sort of crapfest are we in store for? Especially when the first one wasn't entirely up to snuff?

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

With Tom Jane pulling out I'd lost interest in this but with this latest bit of news I'm all excited by the prospect again. :-?

Looks decent, will probably be better than the GN (which I didn't care for).

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

huh, it seems I never read this thread for some reason....

You were never alone, Jay! I was always right there with you!

I've always said that I really hated Niles' writing in that GN, and nothing else he's written has impressed me either, although his new Simon Dark series might end up being decent. The first issue kept my interest.

Just watched the trailer for WANTED, and don't really know what to make of it.

Certainly Wesley seems a lot more of a sympathetic character than Millar's original. While I enjoyed the original series at the start I got fed up with Wesley because I just found it hard to root for a guy who went around raping as he saw fit and killing anyone he felt like to get rid of a chip on his shoulder. So that change isn't a bad thing in my book. But the story (if I'm reading the trailer properly) does seem to have lost it's edginess.

Going from a fraternity of super villains who run the world because they've killed all the heroes to The Fraternity of assassins that basically keep the peace and kill anyone who gets out of line isn't necessarily the worst storyline in the world but it isn't exactly a new idea either. Looks ok overall though, entertaining enough, and I'm prepared to overlook the fact that it's got Angelina Jolie in it.

Anyway, I'll probably wait for it on video rather than spend my hard earned english pounds on it at the cinema.

I thought the original Wanted mniseries was shite anyway, so it's no big loss. They do seem to be keeping something of the "secret supernatural world" element with that bending bullet, but that's probably because the producers wanted something Matrixy.

I thought the original Wanted mniseries was shite anyway, so it's no big loss.

Well, I though it started out well enough but went pish for the reasons stated above. And it has the worst ending to a story. Ever.

They do seem to be keeping something of the "secret supernatural world" element with that bending bullet, but that's probably because the producers wanted something Matrixy.

Got have something Matrixy if you can't have something new.