St. Finn Parish

Comic Book Movies Fantasy League

Watching TV the other night I chanced upon an episode of Warehouse 13. Never watched it before, unlikely I'll start now, but did see this contendor for the WW role - ladeez and gen'lmen, I give you Joanne Kelly

joanne_kelly_01.jpg

2010+Syfy+Upfront+Party+Pr88ZpZL8_el.jpg

Pictured here with her co-star Eddie McClintock, she's 32, 5'9" tall - a shade too short perhaps, but since most male Hollywood actors turn out to be short-arses, as long as she's got a pair of heels on and not opposite Hugh Jackman or Tim Robbins she should be ok - and according to her absolutely truthful 100% reliable IMDB biography she's a bit of an athlete. Suitably stunning, and although I've no idea if she's a decent actress, with roles in Jeremiah and Warehouse 13 she should be able to spout fantastical dialogue with conviction.

Just give me a hotline to a Hollywood producer and we'll get this thing sorted.

Well, I guess that a Wonder Woman should be Greek looking?. I mean, if we want her to fit all the myth, not just the tall, dark and lovely part?.

Island girls here are regularly taller than 6 foot. And many have European looking features because, you know, sailors visiting for centuries with a handful of nails.

I bet New Zealand has some lady actors who fit the bill. I don't know of any of course, because I barely watch any TV or movies.

Though it occurred to me the other day that we have a little bit of a double standard going here, Cruise, Stallone and other male actors are not tall, but allowed to play tall characters, eh?. Don't get me wrong, I also want a lady to look the part, imho it is an important part of her character, that she goes to a country used to considering women in second place, and calmly looks the men in the eye. So I am not trying to call anyone at fault or anything, or at least not without owning up to sharing the fault anyway.

Just wouldn't be considered as so important maybe, if the part was a male one?.

Though it occurred to me the other day that we have a little bit of a double standard going here, Cruise, Stallone and other male actors are not tall, but allowed to play tall characters, eh?.

Just wouldn't be considered as so important maybe, if the part was a male one?.

Not really a double standard.

Stallone's Dredd aside (and a 5'9" Dredd is the least of that film's problems), I can't think of any time either of these two leads have played a "tall character". Aye, they're cast as heroes but I can't think of any situation where they've specifically played a tall hero. You're right that shorter actors do use every trick in the book to make themselves look taller (Alan Ladd used to film scenes standing on a box), but generally these days casting tends to be of an appropriate height when critical to the character.

If you look at the actors who have had to play an imposing superhero recently they've all been of a decent height, with the exception of Michael Keaton (even when it's contrary to the character's height in the comics - I'm looking at you Hugh Jackman). Dean Cain has been the shortest actor so far to play Superman, and even he's at least 6' tall. Given the lack of 6-foot-plus actresses for the role of Wonder Woman, they could try the same tricks that Stallone & Cruise etc use on someone who is still taller than the average woman to begin with.

As for the not-looking-greek thing, well she looks as Greek as Wonder Woman is drawn. Get her a chiton and we're sorted.

*Mental image of Elle in a chiton*

I absolutely bow to your train of logic Sir.

Why don't they go looking in the Olympic stable then, and teach someone statuesque to act?. There MUST be one of the Dane girls or the Dutch probably, fits the mold.

How hard can it be anyway?. Keanua Reeves does it for goodness sake. :tongue:

How about Naomi Campbell? She's plenty tall enough and there were plenty of Nubians in ancient Greece.

Ah, now that's a goodie.

Are we talking early Lono - big and bad but still recognisably human - or late Lono - massive bulky oversized monster?

Well, if we're going the Hawaiian route, how about

Jason Scott Lee

Jason%20Scott%20Lee-1.jpg

jason_scott_lee_soldier_001.jpg

Although I've always been suspicious of Lono being Hawaiian. I know he was referred to as an "Hawaiian shirt-wearing" something or other, but only late in the series did anyone actually say he was Hawaiian (IIRC), and he was never drawn looking particularly hawaiian early on. But things change, I guess. Writer's perogative.

I like Edgar Ramirez from Domino as Lono.He'd have to be bulked up and taking a serious fucking method-plunge,but I think he would do nicely.

I just think Madsen is a bit too old.

JK Simmons/Herr Starr

No no, Sir Patrick Stewart as Herr Starr.

How about Vinnie Jones? They could dub on another actor's voice like they did in Flash Gordon...

Lono? How about the dude on one of Fox's NFL broadcasts--Tony Siragusa:

tara-reid8.jpg

or an unknown, totally unknown.

Agent Graves - Stephen Lang

Cole Burns - Johnny Depp

Jaw Daw - Kevin Durand

Remi Rome - Ross McCall

Lono - Jeffrey Dean Morgan

Milo Garret - Thomas Jane

Victor Ray - David Morse

Dizzy - Alice Braga

Dude, Thomas Jane should be Victor Ray.