QuietScholar

A question on Ellis' Planetary #7

I had the opportunity to pick up the whole Planetary series written by Warren Ellis - its been a highly enjoyable romp actually.

However, when i ran across Planetary 7 - the one about Jakita Wagner's former beau Jack Carter (the essence and analogue of our beloved ConJob) i ran into a bit of a problem.

Namely - what in the heck was Warren Ellis trying to say?

Jack/John, the soul of what was dark/funny/cool about 80s Britain eventually get his Spider Jerusalem makeover and leaves off with "the 80s are over, time to be someone else."

It seems the whole issue is nostalgic reflection of the Vertigo line and an era of Comics that is no longer with us. (Replaced by what zeitgeist i do not know).

Whoever did it, it was a big mistake, because the issue as it stands makes Ellis look like a ridiculously self-aggrandizing prick.

The character should probably have turned into King Mob, rather than SJ.

Whoever did it, it was a big mistake, because the issue as it stands makes Ellis look like a ridiculously self-aggrandizing prick.

:happy: Having him turn into King Mob would have been great!

But if i got this down correct then - does this mean our dear Johnnie boy is simply now an outdated relic of the 80s?

Yep.

Which is, as observations go, not without a point, but also somewhat irrelevant - those early issues of Hellblazer have certainly dated, but frequently less so than the rather-more-recent Planetary. Very little dates a story more obviously than the writer trying too hard to make his characters cool.

I thought about it as more of a homage to the old school Vertigo which at the time had wained quite considerably (i reckon vertigo was basically lost for most of the late 90's early 00's) . That brand of moody, gothy metatextual sandman stuff that had passed on, John Constantine could been seen as an archetype of that era.

I think Ellis was trying to make a comment on how the future was your edgier Wildstorm stuff, large, brash and bright colours juxtaposed against the vertigo trademarked brown.

of course it's all nonsense now as like mark said Planetary has aged badly.

That would have been cool but it just doesn't quite fit in with the "out with the old and in with the new" angle, does it?

That would have been cool but it just doesn't quite fit in with the "out with the old and in with the new" angle, does it?

Not entirely, but neither does having him turn into Spider Jerusalem.