Guest Neil Lambess

The nicest thing about owning a movie theatre is

Guest Neil Lambess

......how incredibly easy it is to set a projector up to shred an entire movie........

two trailers down......

one 35mm film print to go.........

What an odd post - does each trailer come on its own reel ?

Yes they do plus we get a seperate reel for the adverts. They all get spliced together and then spliced onto the movie in most cinemas.

Why you'd want to destroy the print of the movie, who knows. :-?

For some reason I thought that movies came with their own pre-sliced trailers - how does something like, say, the Constantine trailer before Blade III work ? Are cinema owners obliged to include that amongst the trailers they put on that reel ?

Anyway, I don't see the fiscal sense in not playing the next big Keanu flick - especially when it comes out during a traditionally dead period for movies. As a cinema owner it's obviously up to you (Neil) to be bound by what you think will and will not make money but I'm really not getting your thinking here.

I suspect that in the States they have specific trailers for films but not so much over here where there can often be a difference between the US/Europe release dates of films.

But if trailers are sent on their own reels, does it mean that cinema owners are obliged to cut it in with certain movies ?

(obviously you wouldn't know the answer to that Tom)

I wouldnt see why you would wanna do this. I can understand not liking the movie. But wouldnt you as a Owner want to bring in revnue? Sense this is Keanue's next big movie.. I wouldnt be suprised if it racked in quite a bit of cash.

As a Hellblazer spin-off its shite.

But Maybe as a Stand alone action film it might do semi decent.

Sadly the pink neon flashing keanu in a tutu gifs (to indicate my sarcasm) mysteriously vanished on my first posting....... its just wishfull joking on my part and mostly knee jerk reaction to recieving the international one sheet , with the bizzare use of the "T" in CONSTANTINE as a religious cross. considering johns amorality towards all things christian its finally destroyed the last remnat of any good will i felt towards this flick.........it really does make him look like ST CONSTANTINE now and not the mean old sarcastic bastard who would cheerfully shred film in a projector that we all know and love....

Personally I doubt Constantine is going to be a seat filler as Keanus become somewhat of a joke in this country ... (no offense to him either,,hes great in "MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO) but the last two MATRIX films underperformed and a lot of cinemas lost money on them . and if it comes down to a choice between CONNIE and BATMAN BEGINS i know which one ild be booking . internationally the traditional hollywood action flick is underperforming while films that bomb in the states perform much better...... case in point ALEXANDER is now No1 in 18 countries and its a trend thats happening here too. and although it hasnt opened here yet it has "Good Buzz" and even if i didnt have a personal dislike over CONNIE , the "bad buzz" thats been generated about it in English and Australian magazines like SFX and EMPIRE, or FILM REVIEW would be enough to put me off

The Kicker is the number of the audience who have laughed during the trailer , and the general perception is that CONNIE is a "supernatural MATRIX" several theatre managers i know have stopped screening the trailer because of the groans

The Local distributors here reccomend bookings for cinemas but the manager has the final say on what screens and what dosent. its actually quite easy to loose money on certain films as most have fixed booking fees based on projected earnings or a fixed fee and percentage of ticket sales.

over here 35mm trailers arrive on seperate film reels and after their usefull life is over they can quite happily be disposed off by the owner....

and just in case anyones still worried im NOT going to shred any prints of CONNIE....

but i have come up with a good idea for my avatar......

......how incredibly easy it is to set a projector up to shred  an entire movie........

two trailers down......

Books will be next... and then...

-----I I

I I

----------I

I I

I I-----

Aaaaaaand Godwin's law is demonstrated again.

Personally I doubt Constantine is going to be a seat filler as Keanus become somewhat of a joke in this country ... (no offense to him either,,hes great in "MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO)

I love backhanded compliment... :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, this thing about Keanu being a joke is too old and not funny anymore... or am I just losing my sense of humor?!

but the last two MATRIX films underperformed and a lot of cinemas lost money on them.

For what I know they underperformed critically but made a HUGE amount of money worldwide. Check any box-office site on the web to easily confirm that. I doubt WB is complaining about overseas money right now...

and if it comes down to a choice between CONNIE and BATMAN BEGINS i know which one ild be booking .

If you´re saying wich movie do you prefer, that´s right. But if you´re saying that in order to choose wich one your theater will be showing, that´s odd. Their dates could not be more apart... Batman is a summer movie.

internationally the traditional hollywood action flick is underperforming while films that bomb in the states perform much better...... case in point ALEXANDER is now No1 in 18 countries and its a trend thats happening here too. and although it hasnt opened here yet it has "Good Buzz"

Open at number one says nothing nowadays. Alexander will fall in most of countries after the first week. It´s just a bad movie. It had good buzz in America too but after the opening look what happened. Of course, that´s almost sure they will made some profit, there are too many places in the world to show the movie, and people are curious to see an Oliver Stone movie anyway, but there´s no way that the movie will be a huge hit as they expected it to be at first. So, good buzz not always means good movie or success. I´m glad that Constantine is not being too much hyped (at least not until now, don´t know about the next couple of months...). Just see what happened with Troy, and even Reloaded.

The Kicker is the number of the audience who have laughed during the trailer , and the general perception is that CONNIE is a "supernatural MATRIX"  several theatre managers i know have stopped screening the trailer because of the groans

Right now the word on the web, and not only in US, is that the trailer IS very good. Mad about the changes in Constantine or not some people can assume that they have a good trailer.

Anyway, never heard that theater managers put of trailers because of audience reaction. How unusual.

......how incredibly easy it is to set a projector up to shred  an entire movie........

two trailers down......

Books will be next... and then...

-----I I

I I

----------I

I I

I I-----

no actually the books were the first thing to be burnt when they started to write the script

then they toasted marshmellows over the charred remains of hundreds of innocent HELLBLAZER trade paperbacks

:cool:

For what I know they underperformed critically but made a HUGE amount of money worldwide. Check any box-office site on the web to easily confirm that. I doubt WB is complaining about overseas money right now...

(well they stiffed here!)

If you´re saying  wich movie do  you prefer, that´s right. But if you´re saying that in order to choose wich one your theater will be showing, that´s odd. Their dates could not be more apart... Batman is a summer movie.

(US release dates mean sod all in other countries, sometimes we even get movies before the us SHARK TALE (another stiff) and XMEN 2 (Huge) and often hold stuff back because of season variations .its summer here now )

Open at number one says nothing nowadays. Alexander will fall in most of countries after the first week.

(not according to todays NZ HERALD its apparently a solid performer , But then they are interviewing Oliver Stone at the same time as they say that :p )

Anyway, never heard that theater managers put of trailers because of audience reaction. How unusual.

(we get reccomendations over what trailer goes where ,but unlike America we apear to have a greater freedom of choice (how odd) about whats selected to go in front of which movie... theres no hard and fast rules.....BELIEVE me Ocean i would desperatly love to be proved wrong by CONNIE but everytime i try to give it the benefit of the doubt something negative about it comes to light...

any way sometime after feburary well know either way....

(well they stiffed here!)

oh... but still, they made huge money worldwide and still do with DVDs... Matrixmaniacs buy anything with strange letters and green color in it. Ok. Forget it, Im a Matrix fan, Im biased. 8-)

(US release dates mean sod all in other countries, sometimes we even get movies before the us  SHARK TALE (another stiff) and XMEN 2 (Huge) and often hold stuff back because of season variations .its summer here now )

Ah, but there´s no way that Batman will open there at same time with Constantine! They are WB movies, they will never open against each other. For example, Australia will get the movie before US (17 february)... maybe it will be the same date in NZ.

(not according to todays NZ HERALD its apparently a solid performer , But then they are interviewing Oliver Stone at the same time as they say that :p )

"interviewing Oliver Stone at the same time" ... case closed.

(BELIEVE me Ocean i would desperatly love to be proved wrong by CONNIE but everytime i  try to give it the benefit of the doubt something negative about it comes to light...

Oh, I believe you. But, it will be REALLY difficult if you can´t deal with the changes that were made. I know I´m in a "Hellblazer" forum, and no one here has to like the changes and accept it like I do because I´m not a former fan of the comic, so for me it´s way more easy to deal with it. But I will say one thing, some time ago I was a big fan of The X-Files. Really big fan. So, that David Duchovny decided to leave the show. Mulder was my favourite character on TV and I really could not believe when they decided to go on with the show without him! What a fucking MISTAKE! What Chris Carter had on his mind aside of money?! What a sell out!!! And %$#@! and %$#@!... I remember speaking badly of everything that was being made and hating Robert Patrick, the actor who played the role of the agent who was replacing Mulder. I was on the web badmouthing everything and everyone in the show (without, EVEN, having seen an episode). Well, in the last year I was in my house and the show was on TV. I saw one episode with the new character and do you want to know? RP was really good in that. And the character was good too. I began to watch it and some episodes were better than some old ones with Mulder. And taking aside the fact that some of them were rip off stories et al, and the show was really in his final days and needing to finish , still, they had some good moments with the new line up. I was psyched for the former show and could not believe that it would be good in a different way. But they were, in some moments they were.

I know, maybe it´s a crap example, but sometimes we need to follow Morpheus line and, really, just free our minds... oh, well, that was cheesy!!!! sorry, but I can´t help myself! :laugh:

:lol: -Too funny! N.Z. is an isolated part of the world in their hatred of Keanu Reeves! Everywhere else people love him, but in N.Z. they hate the guy!

Reckon I'll be movin' to N.Z. about now..... 8-)

The Kicker is the number of the audience who have laughed during the trailer , and the general perception is that CONNIE is a "supernatural MATRIX"  several theatre managers i know have stopped screening the trailer because of the groans

Neil, I'm assuming you have the international trailer. During which parts of it are people laughing or groaning?

Some good follow-up postst there Neil - thanks for sharing im.

I'm surprised that the reaction to the international trailer has been so poor, though I fully agree with the inappropriate holy connotations of the logo being used for the flick in Europe - alas it's in keeping with the story being told in Constantine.

Ocean, I take your point and myself (along with several others) have been pretty vocal in saying that we think that Constantine might well turn out to be a decent flick in its own right.

Guest spiderlegs

I don't know about that, John. I've posted the links to both trailers on a number of message boards and have gotten mostly negative feedback and this from people who have no idea what the hell HELLBLAZER is about.

I got alot of these:

:ohmy: :lol: :laugh: :huh: :blink: :-? :sad: :wacko: :unsure: :o

I don't know... maybe I'm seeing things in a bit more optimistic way, but I don't see that so bad reaction about the trailer! And, with all respect to Neil, but he seems more biased talking about Constantine than I am talking about Keanu Reeves! He even started his post with an "anti Constantine". And I really doubt that he, as a theater owner, have so much time to scan every member in audience in every session to see their reactions! Neil, do you do that? Please, says No... :blink:

That said, being myself a girl on vacation with so much time in hands, after stop drooling around for all Ke information I could get (I do that everyday, that's priority :D ), I did a "small research" on the web - type "constantine + full trailer (or anything related) + comments" - , searching the reaction for both trailers and it's far from negative guys! Even in places like IMDB where every poster seems to hate the movie and the changes the word is positive. Or at least who hated didn't post yet. And even in sites who review trailers the word is good. BUT, if you only see boards where the Hellblazer fans are the largest part, so, with all the changes made it's pretty obvious that the reaction won't be very good (and if you think about those provocative shots of holy shotgun...buckle of water... heroic Johnny an on and on and on...sheesh!!! ... I pray for my dear Ke to escape unharmed of all those sweet words like f***, *$#@! and &%$#! ... :icon_twosgun: )

Anyway, I'm positive about what I saw but, still, the movie can be shit at all. Who knows! For myself, any Ke movie is worth seeing, but I wont put my hands on the fire for anything. I only think that people could have a more open mind about that.

I pray for my dear Ke to escape unharmed of all those sweet words like f***, *$#@! and &%$#!

I don't think anyone would dare use words like fasteriskasteriskasterisk, asteriskdollarhashatexclamationmark or andpercentdollarhash.

Seriously, why censor yourself? This is obviously a pretty sweary forum anyway, and it completely robs your posts of all impact.

I only think that people could have a more open mind about that.

Well, I think the film makers could have been a bit more open minded about how to approach the adaptation instead of pandering to their mythical demographics.

Some people might have liked to see a tense, creepy, slow moving, thriller with a Briton in the lead role.

I know I would.