JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #230

31 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #230

I didn't see the splash pages as being unjustified, maybe lazy, but not unjustified.

Intriguing. In what way would you say the laziness was justified? :tongue:

I really am not getting the Guy Ritchie aspect to the script, unless by that you mean that it was set in London and has crime/gangster elements to it...

I thought the issue belonged slightly more to the modern gangster genre than to the horror genre. In tone it reminded me specifically of Guy Ritchie gangster flicks. Maybe the comparison is less than ideal; I'm not that familiar with the rest of the gangster genre.

I was a bit worried that the comparison would look like a lazy knee-jerk response to Andy's involvement in Guy Ritchie's Gamekeeper, but honestly, Gamekeeper had nothing to do with the vibe I got from issue 230.

I guess I mean that the splash pages didn't seem to be unwarrented for the story. Sure he could have drawn the whole thing out a bit more with some great Alan Moore nine panel pages but I don't feel that he needed to. Maybe that's lazy, I personally don't think so, but maybe some do.

I like the use of magic during some writer's runs but not others. One issue is too much to judge by, but to have John get out of a pickle by summoning a ton of dead, well, getting their names was a wee bit clever but it felt like a cop out. I wasn't satisfied at all.

It was the one thing that tempted me to grade this issue higher than I did. I like the simple, clever solutions that are so typical of John.

I don't know why everyone is raving about the art.

Ditto. I thought it was typical Manco art, ranging from kinda bad to pretty nice within the same issue. In fact the range of quality seemed wider than usual, with some panels being very appealing and worth remembering, and others being, well, ugh. The coloring played its part too, of course....

Despite these comments, I have to pat Diggle on the back and say it was worth 4 bucks Canadian.

In different currency I have to agree. I'm looking forward to his next issues.

Well, I'd say some of the panels were good, but others were excellent.

I don't know that there were any more splash pages than usual, and even if there were, when you say "lazy", who is being lazy ? Andy Diggle for thinking something like "I can get a lot more impact from this scene over two pages and still fit in the words" or Leo Manco for "If I draw all this in one picture I can save time and spend more time on the detail" ? Is it not an artistic/storytelling choice which is perfectly valid?

These were not decompressed story telling pages, these were changing the pace and the impact of the story. Some more successful than others - eg that final page is a brilliant cliffhanger page in that it could end there but we are given something more in the next issue.

And it's well drawn (Manco even had the attention to detail to put my mole in there.)

The colouring does not help by muddying some of the pages, but other pages can get by whatever is done to them in the post-production. There was no wider range than in the second half of Denise Mina's run where the aforementioned photoshopping and the sketchy long shots were interspersed with an occasional gem.

I'm hoping for more of these sorts of stories - one and two issues, setting John Constantine back in context.

Gave it a 8...

Really enjoyed it....havent felt this good about the shape of the title since Carey's run ( oh and last ish was greatly appreciated..we need more of this...)

Great job...Im definately in for the ride...

Excellent facial expressions from Manco,eh?

Reminded me of good EC comics too for some reason.

I love this place. You'd think always being wrong would wear thin, but dammit, I find it refreshing.

Time to go back and re-read the issue.

For what it's worth, I didn't get that out of the issue, either.

Andy Diggle, let me say good job sir. I enjoyed it a good read that held my attention, had a decent story to it, and a great back-beat that I could really dance to. I gave it a seven. Now lets see where you take this run. Andy Diggle:1 Media Mediocraty:0

Things I didn't like:

• Read a bit like a Guy Ritchie movie

• Too many unjustified splash pages

I didn't see the splash pages as being unjustified, maybe lazy, but not unjustified. I really am not getting the Guy Ritchie aspect to the script, unless by that you mean that it was set in London and has crime/gangster elements to it, and if that's the case wouldn't Ennis' Son of Man have been a bit Guy Ritchie. I do agree with you on the plus though of the script.

Son of Man was completely (Or it was trying) Alfie, rather than anything Ritchie bound.

Yes, it's a nod from Mike Carey, although he forgot to add to the script "Ade (who does not smoke)".

That's pretty cool! I've "appeared" in a couple Star Wars novels and comics, as well as one Doctor Who novel, and I still get a kick out it when I see "my" characters get mentioned online or in articles.

Andy Diggle, let me say good job sir. I enjoyed it a good read that held my attention, had a decent story to it, and a great back-beat that I could really dance to. I gave it a seven. Now lets see where you take this run. Andy Diggle:1 Media Mediocraty:0

Things I didn't like:

• Read a bit like a Guy Ritchie movie

• Too many unjustified splash pages

I didn't see the splash pages as being unjustified, maybe lazy, but not unjustified. I really am not getting the Guy Ritchie aspect to the script, unless by that you mean that it was set in London and has crime/gangster elements to it, and if that's the case wouldn't Ennis' Son of Man have been a bit Guy Ritchie. I do agree with you on the plus though of the script.

Son of Man was completely (Or it was trying) Alfie, rather than anything Ritchie bound.

Not least because the first part of that story came out one month after "Lock, Stock" - and would presumably have been written some months before.

I've honestly got to say that S.O.M. in my opinion wasn't at all ripping off Ritchie. If anything I personally have always thought that Garth was ripping off/giving homage to Tarantino more than anyone else.

Since y'all were so insistent about the goodness of Manco artwork in #230, I went back through the book again, and really, I don't know what I was thinking when I put it down earlier. There was really only one panel that I didn't like, and it was only the face (JC's in the splash page), though some of that was the coloring. (I understand the effect Manco was trying to achieve, but think it didn't come off well enough.) There was less variability than usual in his art, not more. It's some of the best and perhaps by some criteria the best work he's done on the monthly books.

I'll never be a diehard fan of Manco's work in HB, but I'd be pleased if all of his future work on the book was this good.

I love this place. You'd think always being wrong would wear thin, but dammit, I find it refreshing.

I appreciate the solidarity, thanks for publicly admitting to it!

Tell me more about this Starwars Version of yourself.....

Well (and I'll keep this short, since it's off-topic and I don't mean to shanghai the thread), I helped Ann Crispin work out some details on her Han Solo trilogy of novels, so she named a character Hric Dahlney as thanks (to those who read the SW novels, he's Winter's father-figure). There's also a character named Rich in the Star Wars comic "Vader's Quest," which Darko Macan named after me for my help on his script. (Darko and I later co-wrote a comic story for Star Wars Tales #3.) I was almost a third character, Vir Hanrich, in a short story Charlene Newcomb wrote for West End Games' Star Wars Adventure Journal. That story was never published, sadly enough, though Char and I did end up writing a story for the Journal that did get published (it's in Volume 11, for those who have it). I think that's it.

Rich

There--that wasn't so hard, was it?

Not at all. But then I never could understand people who got hostile, defensive or inflexible about their comic book opinions.

Read it in the bath this morning which is an appropriate location I suppose to read such a comic.

Good effort from both Diggle and Manco and I'm definitely hooked and want to see where the hell this story is going.

I appreciate the solidarity, thanks for publicly admitting to it!

I didn't get that at first, either. I was really confused because of that, but I got it after rereading it once or twice.