Jon

batman must reads

I mentioned the news of Marshall Rogers' death in the 'Comics News' thread, but it bears repeating here. Chris Sims of the Invincible Super-Blog (easily the funniest, best-written comics blog out there, and everyone should read it) has just posted a tribute article which does a good job of explaining just what it is about Rogers' art which I love so much. He was an absolutely masterful comics artist, and his version of Batman (and most associated characters) is right up there with Neal Adams' and Norm Breyfogle's for me - ie., definitive.

Broken City and War Games were good, as was Knightfall, although it made the bat slightly too human for my tastes.

I'm going to have to disagree with Apocsol here, but Jon, whatever you do, do not waste your money on War Games. I borrowed the entire series from a friend, and was very, very glad I didn't pay anything for it. If No Man's Land was the best of the Bat-crossovers, then War Games is easily the worst. Hugely bloated, overlong, terribly uninteresting stories, with some downright terrible artwork at times (the only thing I remember truly liking were the James Jean covers). It's three trades long too, which would be a terrible waste of money.

War Games (was) good, as was Knightfall

NO. THEY. FUCKING. WEREN'T.

The first volume of Knightfall is just about tolerable, in a "riddled with editorial interference, and still pretty sub-par" sort of way (if nothing else, it's got a couple of issues with Norm Breyfogle art), but after Batman's back gets broken, it's utter toss. War Games, on the other hand, is truly, catastrophically, noxiously awful. Ill-conceived and appallingly-executed on every conceivable level - easily the worst major Batman story-arc of the past few decades.

I quite enjoyed No Man's Land if only for the parts with Harvey Dent.

War Games was terrible. I haven't yet worked out what was really going on, mainly because I didn't like to think about it. The whole lot seemed like a extravagent way to kill Stephanie Brown.

i have knightfall(not in paper of course,hehe) and i read a couple of issues, but the whole azrael thing seemed pretty stupid to me.

What about blind justice? i heard its good

It's OK. A little too over-the-top for my tastes, and very much of its time (some hokey plot elements, and a relentlessly grim'n'gritty tone which smacks of the late '80s), but some nice art, and a few excellent bits of action/characterisation. Reading it now, there's more of a "been there, done that" quality to the plot than there would have been at the time, but that's more a comment on the last 2 decades' worth of repetitive "bring down the hero! Make him miserable, that all may suffer!" Batman stories than it is on this particular story, which was, so far as I can tell, relatively fresh and original when it was first published. DC took a very long time to figure out that "dark & brooding" doesn't have to mean "drab and miserable".

If you can get the original issues (Detective Comics #598-600, if I recall correctly - I can't be arsed to go next-door and check), there are a bunch of pin-up pages by various notable artists, not all of which are reproduced in the trade. Which is annoying, for those of who don't have easy access to back-issue bins (umm...like me, these days. Lucky I picked this one up in Edinburgh, years ago).

War Games (was) good, as was Knightfall

NO. THEY. FUCKING. WEREN'T.

The first volume of Knightfall is just about tolerable, in a "riddled with editorial interference, and still pretty sub-par" sort of way (if nothing else, it's got a couple of issues with Norm Breyfogle art), but after Batman's back gets broken, it's utter toss. War Games, on the other hand, is truly, catastrophically, noxiously awful. Ill-conceived and appallingly-executed on every conceivable level - easily the worst major Batman story-arc of the past few decades.

I completely agree with this. Batman has just had god-awful cross-overs.

(I'm not sure what Broken City was....Wasn't that the Brian Azzarello story-arc in Batman? If so, no, it wasn't particularly good either, although it was better than Knightfall or War Games.

I really didn't like "Blind Justice" either. "A little too over the top" is putting it nicely. It was way over the top.

... As I said, it's nowhere near as good as the original run, but if you can get past the awkward sense of a slightly dated, old-style story being shoe-horned into a modern context, there's still plenty to enjoy - ...

Going by recent issues of Batman, it's a concept Grant Morrison has no trouble getting past. :biggrin:

EDIT:

From the Marshall Rogers tribute in the blog Mark linked to —

I could go on all night about the sound effects alone. They're one of the truly unique aspects of comics, and the way [Marshall] Rogers worked them into the art--whether it's the screech of a car peeling out written out along its tire tracks or the way his characters dodge around the sounds of their own punches in a fight--just makes for an amazing visual.

Word.

Edited by JasonT

Not deeply aware of the history of comics in the past few decades, apart from certain landmark stories, I have to say I'm unfamiliar with the name Marshall Rogers, but from that blog link Mark posted...

MRJoker.jpg

...dammn! That's good.

As Mark put it defenitive I mean here are pics of Bats by the names listed by Mark and I think agreed upon by the majority of us as the best of Batman artists.

dc_batman_neal_adams01.jpg

Neal Adams

batman465_breyfogle.jpg

Norm Breyfogle (My Personal Favorite)

and

batmansketcha.jpg

Marshall Rogers, God Rest his Soul.

Predictably we're all going to quibble over that list now. :)

I'd like to add Don Newton & Dan Adkins, please.

I adored Wagner's art on the first Batman/Grendel crossover,that style sort of a mixing of the comic art and the animated style is perfect for Gotham,his black and white story was georgous too.

Wagner's art since then has turned to such a bubbling crock of bullshit.

Wagner's art since then has turned to such a bubbling crock of bullshit.

Can't agree with you there, I'm afraid - I wasn't too keen on his Batman covers from a year or two back, but both his recent Monster MenMad Monk miniseries looked fantastic. Not as great as the Faces arc he did for Legends of the Dark Knight back in the '90s, but still damn good.

Okokokok I may have been slightly mistaken, but at that date I had read few others and thought they were good. I have now been proven wrong, and was coming here to say so, but was stopped midway by five foot tall letters breaking my face into tiny tiny pieces.

Did you cry? I like it best when they cry. :)

My first Batman issues were actually Shadow of the Bat which I thought were complete awesome stuff as lil' youngin in Elementary school. Then I decided to pick up some of the more recent comics at the time about a year or two later which was the NML series and thought it was pretty kool, but they were random stories to me as I didn't really understand the whole cross-over and comic stuff at the time.

But anyways, I was just going to say that my favorite Batman stories are The Long Halloween and Rucka's novelization of NML. Boy, was that a fantastic read.

I've been meaning to pick up Faces, but I was only able to read the beginning of it at the shop then had to go. I'll pick it up something.

Faces is definitely worth your time, Balthy. It's a very good Two-Face story, and Wagner's art is top-notch. It's possibly my second-favourite Legends of the Dark Knight story, next only to James Robinson's brilliant Blades.

As Christian mentioned earlier in the thread, pretty much anything from the earlier days of Legends of the Dark Knight is worth your time. Except for Tao. That was crap.

For the record,if anyone knows any way to get ahold of the first Batman/Grendel hardcover(yes it did come out in hc,just a really limited print run)please let me know,just thinking about it reminds me of how much of a kick I got out of it years ago.

btw,L.O.T.D.K. kicked so much ass back in the day.

As Christian mentioned earlier in the thread, pretty much anything from the earlier days of Legends of the Dark Knight is worth your time. Except for Tao. That was crap.

No, that had gorgeous Arfur Ranson artwork. You've confused it with Gothic, which was crap. On a stick. :)

Gothic wasn't bad.

Wasn't great either.

But far from bad.

I don't even remember "Tao", actually. Who wrote that and what issues was it in?

"Crap" is indeed far from "bad", so yes, you're right.

Alan Grant wrote Tao, but I can't recall which 2 issues it was in.

EDIT: Issues 52 and 53.

Edited by JasonT