...and, shockingly, it doesn't suck at all. Well, more accurately it does suck a bit, but in exactly the way it should, which is even more remarkable. I'm impressed.

Wow! That's really impressive! It looks just like the Grey armour did in the comics.

Are they going to go with the "kidnapped by terrorists in Afghanistan" angle?

I can see this movie being quite offensive.

White, American Capitalist fights Muslim terrorists and Chinese transnationals.

White, American Republican Capitalist fights Muslim terrorists and Chinese transnationals.

IronManGreySuit.jpgcyberman2006_small.jpg

But then any gray armored suit with a round deally in the center would look similar.

White, American Capitalist fights Muslim terrorists and Chinese transnationals.

White, Alcoholic American Arms Manufacturing and Dealing Capitalist fights Muslim terrorists and Chinese transnationals.

Dunno anything about the Chinese element of the story, but anyone objecting to him blowing up Al Qaida can, quite frankly, fuck off.

IronManGreySuit.jpgcyberman2006_small.jpg

But then any gray armored suit with a round deally in the center would look similar.

Oddly enough, there were comments that the new Cybermen design looked uncannily similar to Bryan Hitch's designs for the red/yellow Iron Man suit. Considering that Hitch did some design work for the new TARDIS, that doesn't seem too unlikely.

Dunno anything about the Chinese element of the story, but anyone objecting to him blowing up Al Qaida can, quite frankly, fuck off.

Agreed, as long as they pointed out that "He"(As a U.S military symbol) had supplied and/or trained them too.

I may be speaking out of my arse here (That is to say that I haven't any concrete facts at the moment), but not all Muslim Terrorists are or are linked to Al Qaida.

For instance the resistance groups within Iran are lumped into the same group as the Iranians themselves.

Sorry to dredge up some obvious politics, it just seemed like a bit of an angry response to Christian's post is all.

Suit looks good. Who's playing Tony Stark? I forgot. It's not Leo DiCrappio is it?

Agreed, as long as they pointed out that "He"(As a U.S military symbol) had supplied and/or trained them too.

I may be speaking out of my arse here (That is to say that I haven't any concrete facts at the moment), but not all Muslim Terrorists are or are linked to Al Qaida.

For instance the resistance groups within Iran are lumped into the same group as the Iranians themselves.

Sorry to dredge up some obvious politics, it just seemed like a bit of an angry response to Christian's post is all.

Equating all Muslim terrorist groups with Al-Qaeda is quite simply ignorant.

I agree completely with Test's comments. Tony Stark is an American munitions manufacturer. Not that if he were English or German it'd make any difference, mind. So, Stark's weapons led to actions which would be construed as terrorist actions if America wasn't the Ruler of the World, and these actions led to people joining Al-Qaeda and performing terrorist actions.

So, yes, it's all a very good message about terrorism, isn't it?

Sure, the answer of "Don't worry. It's all escapist fun." is fine, but these type of stereotypical characters reinforce a dominant societal view.

If everyone had knowledge of the complex dynamics of terrorism I'd agree that it's just dumb fun, but I worry about the portrayal of terrorists (even Al-Qaeda) as homicidal, evil nut-jobs in popular culture because it doesn't help answer any questions. It gives easy answers that appeal to what a worried conscience wants to hear.

"We're not to blame. We're the good guys. They're the bad guys."

Iron Man is very tricky water to tread because it's very easy for it to end up offensive when you boil it down to Stan Lee's dynamic of "American weapons manufacturer as hero" and "The Other as villain".

Hopefully, there's some way to avoid that in this movie, but frankly setting it in present-day Afghanistan already makes me squeamish.

It was a semi-flippant remark. I wasn't going to browse through wikipedia to list every Islamic terorrist organisation was I?

If everyone had knowledge of the complex dynamics of terrorism I'd agree that it's just dumb fun, but I worry about the portrayal of terrorists (even Al-Qaeda) as homicidal, evil nut-jobs in popular culture because it doesn't help answer any questions.

You know, I've always thought that Die Hard would be a much better movie if it started with 30 minutes of Hans Gruber as a child being hit by his father. And a bit in the middle where John McClaine makes friends with some brave, heroic German tourists who show that not everyone with a Teutonic accent is Alan Rickman.

It was a semi-flippant remark. I wasn't going to browse through wikipedia to list every Islamic terorrist organisation was I?

If everyone had knowledge of the complex dynamics of terrorism I'd agree that it's just dumb fun, but I worry about the portrayal of terrorists (even Al-Qaeda) as homicidal, evil nut-jobs in popular culture because it doesn't help answer any questions.

You know, I've always thought that Die Hard would be a much better movie if it started with 30 minutes of Hans Gruber as a child being hit by his father. And a bit in the middle where John McClaine makes friends with some brave, heroic German tourists who show that not everyone with a Teutonic accent is Alan Rickman.

There's a way to make Iron Man in a more educational manner.

In the 1970s, Iron Man went back to Vietnam and saw what his weapons had done to people, and he decided he would not make weapons anymore.

Here's what you do:

Tony Stark is captured by Muslim terrorists. Now, they're not nice people. They're doing bad things because they think they have a cause. They outline their reasons to Tony. Tony Stark creates his Iron Man suit to save himself. He goes back to America and thinks about what the terrorists said. He doesn't agree with their actions, but realizes they do have a point. He decides he won't make weapons anymore.

Now, from what I've read Mandarin is the owner of a rival corporation. Make Mandarin's corporation a weapons manufacturer. Make the corporation that sells weapons corrupt and evil.

It's really simple, with a message, and it's inoffensive.

I'm just postulating. I don't know what's going to happen in the movie. I'm just afraid we're going to see a jingoistic piece of propaganda whenever I see "Hollywood" and "Muslim terrorists" used in the same sentence. I want to like the Iron Man movie, and if there's a message about how Americans are noble fighting the evil terrorists, I'm not going to be able to enjoy it.

The *new* Iron-Man suite:

ironmannewcostume.jpg

Mmmm. It's made with bits of real Stan Winston, so you know it's good.

They did a damn good job with the armours.

The important thing in this movie is to have Iron Man and monstrously powerful foes mindlessly blowing things up. Really, that's what everyone wants from an Iron Man movie, isn't it?

From semi to full flippancy?

Nevertheless, personally, your example is not comparable at all.

From what I recall (I may be wrong here), Good ol Gruber has no political of "Humanistic/ethical"motivations, or anything besides the money.

Furthermore, there's a signifigant gap of time between WW2 and Die Hard for the audience (Even the Americans!) not to think that Gruber is infact Captain Germany.

P.S-I did laugh loudly however.

I, on the other hand, wasn't sure exactly what Die Hard is.

Is that the movie about the guy, I think a cop, whose family is killed and he loses his mind?

I saw that movie a long time ago.

It's only THE GREATEST ACTION MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

I agree that explaining to Middle America how culpable the US is in the creation and popularisation of Bin Laden and other Islamic militants is a useful thing to do.

On the other hand, weighing down an action movie about a dude in a metal suit who blows shit up with complicated political sentiment kind of misses the point of why the hell anyone would want to see Iron Man in the first place.

I'm all for having Tony seeing how weapons get into the 'wrong' hands and turning his back on arms manufacturing (in fact, that's almost certainly going to be his character development). Hell, I don't mind some humanisation of the baddies. But I don't want that to get in the way of EXPLODO.

It's only THE GREATEST ACTION MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

I agree that explaining to Middle America how culpable the US is in the creation and popularisation of Bin Laden and other Islamic militants is a useful thing to do.

But it ain't gonna happen. It'd piss off American red staters. No movie for a general audience can afford to immediately alienate almost 1/2 of the country.