Sure, when Michelle Pfeifer is on screen. The rest of it is shit.

Danny Devito and Christopher Walken both put in good turns as well, despite neither of them dressing in skintight PVC. Off the top of my head (it's a while since I've seen it), the opening cameo with Pee Wee Herman as the Penguin's father, the whole remote controlled Batmobile scene (the set up for that is rather stylish as well), the business with the budgie, and a good half dozen of Devito's lines are all wonderful moments, and I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting.

Just to bump this thread back on-topic, I was watching the extras on the 2 DVD set last night and noticed an unintentionally funny spot in the "The Invincible Iron Man" segment, where the writers and artists talk about the character.

Go home, stick it in the DVD player and wait for Warren Ellis' turn to pontificate about his tenure.

Around 21 mins 10 secs, he says "I created a character called John Pillinger, who was a television journalist, very much based on John Pilger......." and then there is the distinct and audible squeaking/squelching noise of his stomach rumbling.

Laugh? I nearly spat some reasonable quality scotch through my nose.

Just to derail the topic again...I thought you'd stopped drinking at home! (although I appreciate Warren Ellis interviews should always be accompanied by reasonable quality scotch)

Go home, stick it in the DVD player and wait for Warren Ellis' turn to pontificate about his tenure.

Around 21 mins 10 secs, he says "I created a character called John Pillinger, who was a television journalist, very much based on John Pilger......." and then there is the distinct and audible squeaking/squelching noise of his stomach rumbling.

Biological revulsion at his own bullshit?

"Bullshit"? He did create a character called John Pillinger, who to all appearances was based on John Pilger. I appreciate the sentiment (and I thought Extremis was fairly weak, although far from terrible), but I'm afraid you don't really have reality on your side for this one. :laugh:

What word would you use, then? It's not exactly drawn-from-the-white-hot-flame-of-inspiration "creation" in its purest form, but that's still a legitimate term for it, presuming that the character's dialogue and appearance weren't taken directly from actual quotations and photographs by/of the real Pilger.

Anyway, stop dickishly nitpicking my dickish nitpick. You dicks. :tongue:

What word would you use, then? It's not exactly drawn-from-the-white-hot-flame-of-inspiration "creation" in its purest form, but that's still a legitimate term for it, presuming that the character's dialogue and appearance weren't taken directly from actual quotations and photographs by/of the real Pilger.

Dick pick

Somewhere between affectionate tribute and/or parody? Haven't read it myself so I won't comment further.

Actually I will if only because all he has basically done is add three letters to Pilger's surname...

...to a character who looks like Pilger

...who is a journalist.*

*now if Pillinger is a bad, sleazy, lazy journalist and/or a walking interdimensional nano-plague by night, Mark may have a point :wink:

Am I alone here? Did anyone else think Iron Man didn't do enough in the movie?

I agree with you about Iron Man being a mildly disappointing film, but not necessarily for the same reasons entirely-

I've just seen it and I'm a tad puzzled how this film got such a solid reputation.

Sure, both suits are fantastic and don't even feel akward in flight mode, the cinematography is decent, the CGI and postures are very well made in the action sequences, and Tony Stark has a minimum amount of witty lines and persona, but for a film about a man in a flying, metal suit there wasn't really much going on in terms of plot and events. And to be frank, there were some pretty cheap lines and directional choices. It felt a bit prolonged for the content, all in all, especially the desert scene overstayed its welcome. As for the villain, you could not have thunk about a more generic and predictable baddy. I guess the film would have been much more enjoyable for me if it would not have been for the horribly slow paced, tepid and stock "metal" soundtrack. I could also question the progress of Stark's home technology, but I don't feel inclined to considering it's a comicbook adaptation.

Now I do want to see more of the character and the suit, but please grant Downey Jr. better storywriters and music engineers the next time around. Compared to a masterpiece such as TDK, this isn't worth more than 6-7/10 to me, awsome metal suit or not. Of course, it could have been a lot worse, and his bunkmate at least was a really great supporting character.

Oh and this read downright hysterical with all the time that passed (Quote by inca):

I'm expecting a great deal from The Dark Knight in terms of quality but I don't expect it will be breaking any box office records. That Jones fella might though.

:P

I didn't mean to hurt anyone, just found it funny in retrospect :) Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

I mean really, with how averagely Begins performed at the box office, who would have thought that TDK is going to break a billion worldwide?