There was a very positive review in the local newspaper. It received three stars.

They said it had a disapponting ending that belonged more in Transformers, but was all the more embarrassing because it involved middle age men.

But, they said the rest of the movie was very good, and that it was more appealing to adults than the escapist fantasy of Spider Man.

They also pointed out it had a nice anti-war message, that wasn't heavy handed.

There's that commerical that has Tony Stark, sounding as if he just woke up and perhaps had been hitting the bottle already, out at a weapon test in his dark shades saying, "They say that the best weapon is one that you never have to use. Respectfully, I must say I disagree."

That scene looks so cool. Tony Stark sounds like such an ass. It looks like they captured my ideal of the pre-injury Tony Stark.

What was that villain that looked mlike a brain in a bucket atop a milking stool?

I've never read Ironman, just watched the cartoon as a kid.

It was out here in Oslo on Wednesday. Mark and I went to see it. It wasn't bad. Robert Downey Jr. was a lot of fun, and unsurprisingly very good. I didn't want to punch Gwyneth Paltrow in every scene she was in (that's my way of saying her performance could have been a lot worse). It was a decent origin story, and I suspect the sequel will be even better.

What was that villain that looked mlike a brain in a bucket atop a milking stool?

I've never read Ironman, just watched the cartoon as a kid.

Are you talking about MODOK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MODOK

I always found him a cool character design, but the acronym always made me laugh, and then in the '90s, they created a mate for him called MODAM....

Iron Man's only fought him a handful of times. He was originally a Capt. American villain.

He's not in this movie, by the way.

SPOILERS and stuff...

Yay SHIELD!

Yay Ten Rings! (Of the Mandarin surely?)

Yay Ultimate Nick Fury!

Yay The Avengers!

I really enjoyed this!

I think it's my favourite and best Marvel superhero movie, which to be fair wasn't a tough competition.

Personally it's only Spiderman 2 (Can you count Blade 1?) as the other real contender.

I enjoyed about half of both The Hulk and Daredevil.

Yeah, Downey Jr is far better than I anticipated and as James said in the film thread, the dialogue is sharp and entertaining.

The film was paced and edited suberbly, although the "metal" soundtrack/scotring was rather droll.

All the cast were great although Paltrow was servicable (A big improvement fo her!) and Terence Howard just isn't Rhodes to me.

A big thing for me is that the effects were rather good, and that you could absolutlely see where and how well the films money had been spent.

A recent trend has seen Hollywood films skimp out on effects with cheap CG, even in films which are meant to be big special effect movies!

The suit was great and the fetishistic detailing almost made it believable.

I would have liked to have kept the Iron Man as Stark's bodyguard element, as Christian once said it was fascinting that Strak could conly really identify with people when he played his own employee.

I dont think the "heart" metaphor was as well implemented as it could have been throughout, and visually that pringle tube in his chest was just ridiculous.

And I would have loved to have seen Lord of War levels of politics, more on Starks latent/developing alcholism, the government forcing/stealing stark tech and just one Shot of Downey's face reflected in the shiny helmut.

But for a Big Hollywood film and the first truly Marvel film.

Not bad, not bad at all.

saw it yesterday...........fucking loved it.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was that i thought Tony stark was supossed to be a self righteous asshole and the movie portrays him as quite a lovable character.

saw it yesterday...........fucking loved it.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was that i thought Tony stark was supossed to be a self righteous asshole and the movie portrays him as quite a lovable character.

No. That's not bad characterization.

Stan Lee used him as the "corporate CEO with a heart of gold".

You have to remember that Iron Man was created as a product of the time. Stan Lee was a Cold War Liberal, and Tony Stark was a Cold Warrior. It wasn't even until the mid-70s that Marvel finally decided (after the Bullpen had more Left-Wingers) to get Tony Stark out of the weapons industry. He was just always portrayed as a rich playboy in his private life. The intent was that he was probably an irresponsible figure in his private life before the accident, but the injury had made it so that he was living at death's door, which made him more the flawed, tragic hero. It was never totally realized in the comic what Tony Stark was like before, because Tony Stark's life pre-injury was rarely ever mentioned in the comic.

It seemed like Stark always ran his factory, and he was shown as someone who truly believed in what he was fighting for, and he would stand up to anyone who tried to stifle his vision. He wasn't portrayed as using his Tony Stark identity as a cover, the way Batman used Bruce Wayne.

Lee meant Iron Man to be representative of "realpolitik", whereas the Capt. America character (a similar Cold War iconic figure in the 1960s) was more meant to represent the idealism of the American dream.

Im still geeked out by that Nick Fury scene.

You mean the guy from the really long name goverment organization that says they changed the name to shield? was that Fury?

Samuel L Jackson played Fury, but apparently that scene (depending on who you believe) either only appears after the credits on some prints, or after the credits and after 30 seconds of blank film...

I hate those scenes, I don't feel like sitting through the credits or six minutes like a tit while four movie ushers surround me wondering what am I still doing there.

You mean the guy from the really long name goverment organization that says they changed the name to shield? was that Fury?

Oh it's there alright.

SPOILER I SUPPOSE.

Late at night, Tony walks into his Sci-Fi lounge (the one with the view) and is startled by an intruder.

The intruder in the shadows identifies himself as Nick Fury, Director of Shield.

When Nick steps into the light we can see that it's Samuel L Jackson sporting an eye patch.

Nick questions Tony's superhero activities, informing him that he is not alone and asking him about his place in this "Universe".

Then he asks Tony if he's heard of the "Avengers" initiative/protocol.

Top geek fair.

Oh it's there alright.

Not in all prints, apparently. It wasn't there when we saw it, and I know a fair few other people who've seen it in cinemas and stayed to the end, only for the post-credit scene to be absent.

I enjoyed the film. Very light, very frothy, very fanboy-friendly (perhaps a little too much so at times), but fun. It would have been unbearable with a lesser lead actor than Downey Jr. - the plot and supporting characters weren't anywhere near strong enough to stand up on their own - but his performance carried me through the slightly slack pacing (it could have done with a little more action in the second act - we'd already seen him putting the first suit together, so following his escape with about 40 minutes of, essentially, more of the same was possibly a mistake), but since he was at the heart of the story, that's not really a damning criticism.

It's certainly about as good an Iron Man movie as I could have imagined anyone making - I quite like the character, but he's not got a huge amount of depth at the best of times, and the sort of wrinkles which could potentially make him more interesting - like, say, a more detailed exploration of the moral implications of the arms trade - would risk seriously undermining the central conceit of the character, and are therefore probably best avoided in a big-budget blockbuster action film. Not the best Marvel movie to date - for my money that'd be Spider-Man 2 by a country mile, and even though it sags badly in the final third, I'd probably rank the first Spider-Man above this as well - but a fine effort nonetheless. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Just saw it and it was awesome, well worth the hype. And for the record, there was no Nick Fury in the version I saw, but I didn't stay til the end of the credits.

Anyway, Robert Downey Jr was fantastic, much better than I thought he would be. He was the arrogant playboy but showed his change of heart quite convincingly. At one point I was a little impatient with the lack of action, but it paid off in the establishment of the character Tony Stark. I much prefer that than just introducing the character and having another 1.5 hours worth of him blowing stuff up. The movie was not just a man in a metal suit destroying things, it was much more than that. Really there was only three major battles, the rest of the time was spent developing the character and story. Very much looking forward to the sequel with both Nick Fury and War Machine.

This is right up there with the best comic-to-film adaptaions out there, especially from marvel.

Just saw it.

Fucking great.

With all due respect, much much better than Spiderman, what with the no McGuire and no Dunst and more Downey Jr.

It had the 10 second clip at the end.

But the sequel had already been set up with

Rhodes seeing the armor in Tony's basement and saying "next time... baby." or something. War Machine, like.

. Highly highly recommended. Deserves hype.

Oh it's there alright.

SPOILER I SUPPOSE.

Late at night, Tony walks into his Sci-Fi lounge (the one with the view) and is startled by an intruder.

The intruder in the shadows identifies himself as Nick Fury, Director of Shield.

When Nick steps into the light we can see that it's Samuel L Jackson sporting an eye patch.

Nick questions Tony's superhero activities, informing him that he is not alone and asking him about his place in this "Universe".

Then he asks Tony if he's heard of the "Avengers" initiative/protocol.

Top geek fair.

That didnt happen in the one i saw.......and i didnt stay till the end of the credits.

Just saw it.

Fucking great.

With all due respect, much much better than Spiderman, what with the no McGuire and no Dunst and more Downey Jr.

It had the 10 second clip at the end.

But the sequel had already been set up with

Rhodes seeing the armor in Tony's basement and saying "next time... baby." or something. War Machine, like.

. Highly highly recommended. Deserves hype.

The sequel was also set up with name of the band of mercenaries hired by the main villain.

"The Ten Rings". The Mandarin, probably Iron Man's #1 enemy in the original comics, has ten rings, which give him much of his power. Couple that with the fact that some of his most notable stories revolved around using captured pieces of Stark military technology to achieve his aims, and the fact that the leader of the Ten Rings organization in the film is referred to but never seen, and I think you've got a bit of subtle nerd sequel-baiting.

There's a comicbook films season coming at the ICA and we'll be seeing Dark Knight if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

It's a date Ade, I'll be wearing Red (Not the norwegian mind you).

Much obliged

The sequel must start filming NOW!

They have done a fantastic job of setting up this franchise, and others, and can not wait. There was not as much Iron Man action as I would have liked, but I understand there needs to be more set up with this being an origin story and all. The effects were top notch and I could see flaws. And the only thing better was the acting, something rare in a superhero effects filled movie. I loved the flirtatious interactions between Mr. Stark and Ms. Potts. Better still, they don't act on it. Thankfully there is no Ms. Potts getting all love sick over the hero. They obviously care about each other, but that's where it will stay. Downey IS Tony Stark. He was amazing playing a brilliant, driven, fun loving billionaire who falls from grace who then feels compelled, maybe obesessed, to redeem himself being just as brilliant and driven as fun loving.

Stane was not as imprevious, I just kept seeing "The Dude". That is not the fault of Bridges, he's great, but he was so great as the "The Dude" that the character is burned into my mind.

Marvel is kicking ass and taking names in the movie department and looks to continue this trend. I like where they are going with all this.

Nick Fury: B.M.F. of S.H.I.E.L.D. I am telling you a Nick Fury movie directed by Robert Rodriguez would kick ass.

Just saw it and I thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed the hell out of it, a proper honest to goodness popcorn flick.

Robert Downey Jr. really was as perfect for the role of Tony Stark as I suspected he would be when I'd heard he'd been cast, really liked Gwyneth Paltrow too as Pepper Potts. The chemistry and the interactions between the two of them is great.

The Stan Lee cameo was hilarious and I can't believe no one has mentioned it so far.

I and about 10% of the audience I saw it with stayed right to the end of the credits and saw Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. Really one only for the fanboys though.

Also for the longest time as a kid I wanted to grow up to be Bruce Wayne and become Batman but now I've changed my mind I want to grow up to be Tony Stark. Forget the fact that I'm already in my 30s there's still time for me to become a billionaire industrialist and superhero dammit. :laugh:

You're going to try to build a suit of armor using items around the home, aren't you?