Iron Man came out on DVD in Australia on the 9th. As someone who dug Iron Man as a kid, I waited with bated breath, rushed to the video store on release day, and watched the movie for the first time as soon as I got home.

I found it kinda disappointing: not really my thing.

I guess the main gripe I had was that it felt like a long teaser for an upcoming story. I mean, a movie called Iron Man should be about Iron Man, but Iron Man ain't in it much. If you sit through the whole animated DVD menu sequence, you almost double the amount of tin suit action you get from watching the actual movie.

I don't wanna turn this into another over-analysis, but I came away with the impression the script was pretty weak. When I found out it was credited to four writers, I wasn't surprised; the plot felt like a committee came up with it. Half of the dialogue sounded painful too. The director seemed to have done as much as he could with the material, except for the excruciating shots where the baddies found the old armour in the desert and held up the faceplate like it was Hamlet's frickin' skull or something. icon8.gif

There was a lot to like about it, like Pepper holding Tony's "heart" in her hands, or Stan Lee's cameo, or Jeff Bridges' performance; but overall it was just "meh". Maybe I should have gone in with low expectations, like I did with Superman Returns.

I guess the main gripe I had was that it felt like a long teaser for an upcoming story. I mean, a movie called Iron Man should be about Iron Man, but Iron Man ain't in it much. If you sit through the whole animated DVD menu sequence, you almost double the amount of tin suit action you get from watching the actual movie.

You're wrong. That's all.

(Not about not liking the film, that's fair enough, but there's HEAPS of suit action in it)

Yup, your alone in this. I though the suit action was well balanced out with character development.

Watch it again and time the suit action. It wouldn't surprise me if it was 20-30% of the film. FAR MORE than in Hulk, for instance.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was only 20-30% of the film, too. :tongue:

You think that's LITTLE? OK...

Just out of curiosity, which superhero movie actually satisfies your need for continuous superhero action?

It wouldn't surprise me if it was only 20-30% of the film, too. :tongue:

You think that's LITTLE? OK...

You do understand that's out of 100, right? :tongue:

Just out of curiosity, which superhero movie actually satisfies your need for continuous superhero action?

Spider-Man 2. Hellboy. Spider-Man 1, if I recall correctly. Fantastic 4. They don't have to be punching things, they just have to appear on screen.

Now you're just being weird. Are you only counting the bits at the end where he's wearing the final version of the suit, or something?

Also, Hellboy? Cheating, and you know it - we never even see the guy putting on a costume. Perlman's make-up doesn't count, any more than Downey Jr.'s goatee does - that's just what the character looks like, not a superhero costume.

Yes, the Fantastic Four movies definitely have more in-suit time than Iron Man, although that's mainly because they don't really have civilian "secret identities" in the way the other characters mentioned do, so they wear their costumes even when they're not actively doing superhero stuff. I think you'd be surprised if you went back and actually counted up the minutes for the other films you mentioned, though, especially the Spideys (and at least Iron Man doesn't insist on the lead character taking his mask off for every major action scene).

Bunch of other great superhero movies probably feature much less than 30% costume time - the first Superman movie comes to mind. I'm guessing most of the Burton Batman movies and perhaps even Batman Begins as well.

I question your use of "great movies" to describe the Burton Bat-films. But yes, you're right (also, Batman Begins is a far better film for the hour or so before he's in costume than when he eventually gets round to putting it on - the same is broadly true of Spider-Man, which is another "great origin story, shame about the rest of the film" effort).

Thinking about it, I'd be surprised if any superhero film features significantly more than 30% screentime of the title character in costume. That'd be an extremely high figure.

Also, more importantly: Robert Downey Jr. is far more entertaining to look at than a CGI robot-man, however well-done the CGI is. The "costumed fighting" bits are there to make it an exciting action spectacle (and did so thoroughly satisfactorily, for me), but the heart of any superhero story worth a damn should be about the characters, first and foremost. Iron Man did about as good a job of that as any superhero movie I've seen. The central character is Tony Stark, not his metal clothes - which is just as it should be. The fact that it also did a better job of balancing the costumed and non-costumed parts of the story than any other Marvel film to date was just a bonus.

I question your use of "great movies" to describe the Burton Bat-films. But yes, you're right (also, Batman Begins is a far better film for the hour or so before he's in costume than when he eventually gets round to putting it on - the same is broadly true of Spider-Man, which is another "great origin story, shame about the rest of the film" effort).

You're right, I should've said 'high profile' or something. Was just thinking 'Superman' and 'Batman Begins' when I typed 'great'.

So you guys have used lists and statistics to prove that I should have been satisfied with the amount of tin suit action in Iron Man. :laugh: You bunch of internet tits. It's a good thing I like tits. biggrin.gif

Well, it's 'cos the rest of what you said was pretty reasonable personal opinion. No point trying to "correct" that (I agree with some of it anyway). We were just nitpicking the bit about which you you were factually wrong (and which was, let's be totally fair here, a pretty internet tittish criticism to begin with).

It's OK to be wrong sometimes. You can admit it if you want to. :tongue:

You're right, I should've said 'high profile' or something. Was just thinking 'Superman' and 'Batman Begins' when I typed 'great'.

No you were right when you said "great superhero movies".

He really wasn't, you know.

I definitely wasn't. The Burton movies have their moments but fall short of 'great'.

I'll always see Returns as great for me personally.