Sign in to follow this  
Mercury727

The Incredible Hulk

Edward Norton is Bruce Banner. An unexpected choice but a good one in my opinion, I'm rather more interested in this film now.

Wow. A great choice, and completely outside the box!

Ooof. I don't know about that choice. Ditto for the alledged director of the film.

This has "STUPID" written all over it.

Can anyone remember the last time Norton made a halfway decent flick?

The Prestige...er...I mean the other victorian magic movie was halfway decent. Halfway.

Who would you pick?

Not sure.

I thought Eric Bana did a good job in the first one, but I guess Marvel is looking to dumb things down for the sequel and Bana's clearly moved on to meatier roles (or is at least attempting to).

I don't know whom I would specifically cast, I just know that it wouldn't be Norton. I like Norton, but he's very limited. He often has trouble getting past his whiny, weasely, East Coast voice and behavior (as evidenced by his "acting" in The Illusionist).

He's nerdy, but not nerdy enough to play Banner and I definitely don't seem him as the Hulk, even if he did suitably buff up for American History X. Granted, they'll probably make the Hulk 100% cgi again, but unless the sound guys run Norton's voice through some heavy duty filters, he's going to sound silly as the Hulk.

I'd choose someone who's a bit more "vanilla" and that could play a meek scientist who sometimes goes beserk well--- someone like a Matt Damon; an actor that is relatively unassuming, and free of acting quirks or repetitive haminess. Norton is too stylized an actor, as is Depp, as is Nicholson, et al.

Norton's an all too obvious choice as he usually plays the same role, that of someone playing two roles (Primal Fear, American History X, Fight Club was partly composed around that idea, even the scene in the front of the mirror during the 25th Hour)

So mild mannered Edward Norton the scientist, will soon to turn into angry Edward Norton and then explode into CG.

To be fair though, I think that The Hulk should be a "Dumb" film.

But give me a good not so CG "dumb" director ala James Cameron-esque.

I was reasonably impressed by the original films credentials and on paper it all sounded great.

Unfortunately that "smart" quickly became pretentious (That split screen attempt at comic book composition and the terrible plot contrivances to have the father/son stand off for example).

I honestly just want a great half an hour of decent character work and then an hour and a half of justified Hulk smash.

Fight Club was the last good Norton movie I saw, but I've heard that The Illusionist is "halfway decent".

Partially true - the first half is, indeed, decent enough, but the second half is so mindnumbingly awful that it retroactively makes the first half bad, too.

I agree that a Hulk film should be, essentially, fairly dumb - it's a very simple franchise at heart (it's a straightforward Jekyll & Hyde tragedy, only with more scenes involving tank-punching), and the extent to which Ang Lee bollocksed it up first time round was disheartening. Not only did his film fail as an entertaining Hulk-Smashing adventure, but it failed as the thoughtful psychological drama it was also trying to be. Theoretically, a much better sequel would be easy to make, but I doubt they'll manage it.

I've heard that The Illusionist is "halfway decent".

Mark's review in the Culture bunker sums it up really.

I thought it was quite dire, but admittadly Norton turned in a decent performance.

I agree that a Hulk film should be, essentially, fairly dumb - it's a very simple franchise at heart (it's a straightforward Jekyll & Hyde tragedy, only with more scenes involving tank-punching), and the extent to which Ang Lee bollocksed it up first time round was disheartening. Not only did his film fail as an entertaining Hulk-Smashing adventure, but it failed as the thoughtful psychological drama it was also trying to be. Theoretically, a much better sequel would be easy to make, but I doubt they'll manage it.

Agreed.

I'd choose someone who's a bit more "vanilla" and that could play a meek scientist who sometimes goes beserk well--- someone like a Matt Damon; an actor that is relatively unassuming, and free of acting quirks or repetitive haminess.

Unassuming, absolutely, and can be repressed. Ideally, whoever plays Banner should be conventionally goodlooking, and nerdy, but not geeky - and has to be able to portray someone who's brilliant, which I see with amazing infrequency in Hollywood movies.

Any good Hulk movie has to be dumb part of the time, at least during the action sequences (and to draw in the moronic core group of the action movie audience) but should also have some good character stuff in it. An important part of Hulk is a man struggling with himself.

There's so much good writing over the years in the comics that it's a little hard to see how Hollywood could screw up the writing in Hulk movies. But they've done it once, and I have no doubt they'll do it again.

'Till this day, I still don't understand whats so bad about the Hulk film. I remember when it was coming out and everyone was hyping it, I was one of the nay-sayers who thought it was going to be garbage. I then heard people claiming how much they hated it and I gave a proud "I told you so" to them all, but still went to see it myself and I absolutely loved it. :blush:

Ahh well.

Well, a Hulk film wouldn't have to be "dumb". They could look to Peter David's earlier issues as a template, but that would be alienating a big portion of the film audience who want to see "Hulk-Smash".

(They could also look at the heartwrenching choice by the Hulk to leave the Catholic Church. "Hulk believe in God, but Hulk no believe in forgiveness.")

I'd rather see them just do the big, dumb action film at this point, rather than attempting to understand the deeper nature of what can be done with a Hulk plot, seeing how badly they did with the first.

Hopefully, they'll use the Abomination as the villain.

I always thought William H. Macy would make the perfect Bruce Banner.btw now that Norton has officially signed on for this,I got a buck that says the directors days are numbered.

Tim Roth is the Abomination, oh and Liv Tyler is now Hulk's girlfriend...

Oh dear, same guy who is writing this also wrote X-Men 3 and Elektra, uh oh!

Tim Roth is the Abomination, oh and Liv Tyler is now Hulk's girlfriend...

Oh dear, same guy who is writing this also wrote X-Men 3 and Elektra, uh oh!

Dear, dear, dear...

Don't criticize until you see the movie! I mean, you know how upset we got when we heard that Keanu Reeves was playing ConJob...

Yes, and it was all right, really. Not amazing by any standards, but thoroughly enjoyable. A B, I'd say.

I saw it around the same time as Iron Man and thought it was meh. On one hand. The action is top notch and Hulk looks better than he did in 2003, but all the fanboy pandering made me cringe, like the scene that only existed so that Lou Ferigno could be indformed that he's the man.