Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Religion and Superheroes

My alternate title for this topic was "Mommy, what religion is the Hulk?".

This web-site has a listing of most superheroes and supervillains and their religious affiliation. I've been having lots of fun with this site!

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

John Constantine is listed as a humanist.

Apparently Superman is Methodist. Who knew?

Apparently someone named Orgazmo is a Latter Day Saint.....well, now.

How many of the villains will be atheist? Most?

No, Mothman, for one, is Jewish. Of course.

Holy shit! Death is Mormon! I kid you not! That blows my freakin' world!

All these questions and more will be answered here!

Hang on a second...

Cassidy Proinsias Cassidy DC/Vertigo Catholic/Anglican

Cassidy, Catholic/Anglican?

It's been I while since I read Preacher, but I figured I'd have remembered that...

Hang on a second...

Cassidy Proinsias Cassidy DC/Vertigo Catholic/Anglican

Cassidy, Catholic/Anglican?

It's been I while since I read Preacher, but I figured I'd have remembered that...

I'm sure they are making assumptions based on the fact that he is Irish. Actually if you go on whose side he fought on during his time in the Irish Revolution, then he is Catholic.

His parents were of mixed faith (Protestant/Catholic), but he was brought up Catholic. He also says in the first trade: "I always get Catholic on heroin."

Death is listed as Mormon because her physical appearance was based on a Mormon woman Mike Dringenberg knew.

There is no indication within the text of the Sandman comics that Neil Gaiman thinks of Death herself as being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Isn't that dumb?

Oh. Yeah. It also ruins all the fun, thinking about Death being a practicing Mormon.

Although it still lists Hulk as a lapsed Catholic....not Bruce Banner, but the Hulk. That's all kinds of fun. "Hulk sorry for SMASHING PUNY HUMANS? NO! HULK NOT!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magneto is listed on the site as Jewish, even though he's now an atheist. He was raised Jewish.

So, yeah, some of the information isn't exactly accurate.

His parents were of mixed faith (Protestant/Catholic), but he was brought up Catholic. He also says in the first trade: "I always get Catholic on heroin."

There's the Easter uprising thing as well, which somebody has already mentioned above. I doubt there were a lot of Anglicans involved in that.

Now I think about it, wasn't Constantine raised Catholic as well? You get that impression from a lot of Delano's stuff*, even if he's turned to secular humanism since.

*(And all of Ennis', obviously.)

I was oddly surprised at the idea that Hunter Rose is a Satanist, but it makes sense. Still, I think he is an Atheist.

Cheryl and Tony were protestants of some kind (I can't see Catholics going along with the Resurrection Crusade).

Cheryl and Tony were protestants of some kind (I can't see Catholics going along with the Resurrection Crusade).

That was more Tony than Cheryl though, wasn't it?

(Although now I think about it, there's suggestions that he cold have been raised as either. Ennis has that line about the first priest he ever met trying to cut his dick off with a razor, which suggests more that he's Anglican. Jenkins and Delano, on the other hand, seem to suggest that he's more likely to be Catholic.)

Isn't Daredevil Catholic,too?

Frank Miller seems to think so.

A while back there was aother one of these lists but with political parties. Iron Man and Batman were republicans it said, does anyone know where that went?

Yep. As St Apathy says, this was one of Frank Miller's ideas, so it's now regarded as canon and hasn't been tampered with since. It works well with the character, and I doubt that there's a lot of Jewish or Presbetyrian Murdochs in New York in any case.

[ Ennis has that line about the first priest he ever met trying to cut his dick off with a razor, which suggests more that he's Anglican.

I don't get it, but I laughed my ass off anyway!

[ Ennis has that line about the first priest he ever met trying to cut his dick off with a razor, which suggests more that he's Anglican.

In Rake At the Gates Of Hell: it's a reference to a story Ennis did for an annual, in which he runs into a priest with a few odd hang ups while he's in his late teens. If that was the first priest he met, then presumably he'd been dealing with vicars as a child.

In Rake At the Gates Of Hell: it's a reference to a story Ennis did for an annual, in which he runs into a priest with a few odd hang ups while he's in his late teens. If that was the first priest he met, then presumably he'd been dealing with vicars as a child.

Ah!

I got the reference to the Hellblazer Special; I just didn't realize that they weren't called "preists" in the Anglican church.

Can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure it's vicars not priests the Anglicans have.

Right. But, the guy who tried to cut his dick off is referred to as a "priest" in the Special, isn't he? So, that'd make him Catholic, not Anglican.

Yep. As St Apathy says, this was one of Frank Miller's ideas, so it's now regarded as canon and hasn't been tampered with since. It works well with the character, and I doubt that there's a lot of Jewish or Presbetyrian Murdochs in New York in any case.

Yeah I believe the Frank's words were something along the lines of "He's a lawyer by day and a vigilante by night. Ofcourse he's Catholic!"

As dogpoet says it works well in terms of a character of alarming opposites. A catholic who dresses like the Devil, a lawyer and vigilante, disabled and a superhero.