jaynova

Countdown to.....

Darkseid is a big heroclix fan. When he's not jobbing like the Brooklyn Brawler he's playing Heroclix and trying to figure out why kid's love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Darkseid playing the clix. I wonder what that would be like? Hmmmmmmmmm

52dadmr.jpg

I take it you play HeroClix, Finn?

I don't remember anyone here ever saying they played HeroClix.

I always wanted to find the Wendigo Marvel HeroClix figure. I never saw on being sold though.

I take it you play HeroClix, Finn?

I don't remember anyone here ever saying they played HeroClix.

I always wanted to find the Wendigo Marvel HeroClix figure. I never saw on being sold though.

Yeah on occasion. I don't know if there is a Wendigo Click.

I wouldn't be sure about that Darkseid bit, James. According to the newest Justice League (Spoilers Ahoy!!!!!)
the Legion of Superheros who have come back to earth say they did so "very close to the middle Crisis". How long it will be before DC decides it needs another crisis is up for debate i guess. I'm hoping for later rather than sooner, as i have Crisis Fatigue myself.

Personally, I have enough faith in DC to believe that they wouldn't try that.

Countdown: 49

Stretching the Truth

Writer: Paul Dini, with Tony Bedard

Art by Carlos Mango and Jay Leisten

Jimmy Olsen is in Arkham, talking on his cell to Lois Lane about Duela Dent not being the Joker's daughter and about the Monitors, when Killer Crock, who has just escaped from and killed a guard, attacks Jimmy. He is about to rip Jimmy apary when Jimmy stretches, Elongated Man-like, and survives. Crock is confused; he attributes what he has seen to the meds that keep him "sedated".More guards come and knock Crock out.

Meanwhile, The Monitorsdiscuss one of their own killing Duela (see issue 51).The offending Monitor says that he was doing his job; that any trans-world transgressions are abominations and must be dealt with. He says that the reason the other Monitors are angry is because he didn't ask permission to act.

One monitor asks the offendor to convince the Monitors that "one of the most powerful sentients in the 52 universes has not become a cold blooded murderer." The offendor points to a computer screen that shows Karate Kid, Nightwing, Supergirl, and the Legionaires Brainiac 5, Reep Daggle, and a third, obscured one. He says that there are loose ends from the last Crisis, and he is trying to prevent a calamity. He then says that there are 3 cosmic mistakes waiting to be corrected. he points at a screen with Red Hood, Kyle Raynre, and Donna Troy. He says that it is not murder if these people shouldn't exist in the 1st place.

caption: 49 and counting. karate kid.

On the JL satalite, Karate Kid, in a cell, argues with Red Arrow/Speedy/Arsenal/whatever. He asks why he should explain himself to "red arrow" when he hasn't told the other 5 people who asked, who all made it to the history books. Speedy tells him to "Wax Off."

Meanwhile, the Rogues are abord the Yacht of "Bear Market" Boesey.He transfers his money to an account via phone, then jumps into the water. Mirror Master gives Peid Piper a hard time about this, but then admits that he has proven himself as a rogue by making Bosey commit suicied and give MM all his money.

ADVERTISEMENT:Granny Goodness torso with red "Darkseid Rules" pin.

Piper then hits a button on MM's laptop, moving the money into another account. He tells MM that the money is owed to him for the death of his parents. MM allows this, but warns him to never cross him again..

pipergoes out to the deck, and Tricksterfollows. He tells piper to give him the stolen money, or he will reveal that Piper hipnotized Boesey to swim to shore and not get tired. Somewhere, at a homless children's charity call-line, a call taker notices that 100 million dollars appeared, then suddenly disappeared.

Meanwhile, Mary Marvelis in Gotham. Whe is being chased by some thugs, so she goes into a church which she feels is calling to her, like something is waiting. The thug that follows her is suddenly ripped apart by something in the darkness. Mary trips over some dead bodies, and she asks "who are they?" the voice answers "drug addictsm squatters, real estate agents, people stupid enough to intrude upon my solitude...people like you!" Black Adam jumps from the shadows. He recognised Mary, and is pleased.

History of the Multiverse, Chapter one

Monitors look to the well of revelation to see what kind of inter-universal movement happened before the first Crisis.

For millions of years, the multiverse existed whithout anyone in any universe knowing until barry Allenvibrated at the frequency of another Earth. He met Jay Garrick. Blah blah blah, after that, a handful of people knew of the Multiverse....

death Toll so far: 3

A guard and a thug this issue.

(Total toll is Duela Dent, guard, thug.)

Are you not counting the people who died in Black Adam's lair?

Disappointed to see that he's back so soon. I'm all Black Adamed out.

And there's the guard in Arkham in the beginning. I think Jay's only counting regular DC character's deaths?

The History of the Multiverse thing could be good.

I do wonder (haven't read any of it as yet) whether this is being deliberately staged to reintroduce the multiverse and do away with the initial crisis and it's effects. That stupid picture of a bunch of sorts in tights standing around a wrecked Statue Of Liberty (which is apparently what this series is counting down to) suggests a few sorts flitting between continuae, does it not?

I'll bet they are counting down to another Crisis. Frankly, i'm all Crisised out.

Are you not counting the people who died in Black Adam's lair?

They were dead when Mary got there.

Should I count incidental deaths, or just named characters?

Countdown: 48

Death From Above

Writer: Paul Dini, with Adam Beechen

Art by David Lopez, Don Hillsman and Alvardo Lopez

Mary Marvel and Black Adam are in the church, where Adam is explaining the world took his country and his family (Waaaaaaaaaaa!). He tells Mary that the fact that she was a Marvel does not excuse her from death. She tells him that she was drawn here, and she thinks that she was sent here for help.She says that she can't find her brother, and that Adam's powers make him strong. He bursts into laughter.

Jimmy Olsen is at the Daily Planet, getting his ass chewed out by Perry White because he went to Arkham to talk to the Joker and came back without a story. Olsen wants Jimmy to follow up his story about Jason Todd and the Aliens (Monitors). Just then, noises come from the sky, and beams of light come from the clouds, destroying buildings and shit. Jimmy runs outside to take pictures (and call Superman on his watch). Jimmy notices rubble about to fall on some bystanders, and...

Donna Troy and some Titans stand at Duela Dent's grave. Donna says that Duela was "once a Titan, always a Titan. The Titans leave Donna here, but Jason Todd appears to talk to her. He muses that he is drawn to funerals because he had one before. He wonders about what the Monitor said about how he and Duela were not supposed to be here, and that maye Donna is in the same boat. He says that he feels like he is living on borrowed time.

Meanwhile...on the Justice League satallite, Karate Kid, in his cell, talks with Starboy, or whatever they call him in JSA. KK wished Brainiac 5 and Lar Gand were around to help figure out what happened to Starboy and himself. KK wants specifically to know why he had a "Starro Thing" om his neck and was calling himself Trident. Starboy says that Doctor Impossible was behind it all.

Back to Mary Marvel. She asks Black Adam why he is laughing. He says that he is thhinking of what his powers brought him..."No. That is not correct. When I think of what my powers cost me..." he says. Mary says that the powers were a gift, not a curse. Adam says that the dead bodies around them (see last issue) "asked for death by comming here...so do you ask for it with the request you make."

Back to Jimmy...he runs, Flash style, and pulls the bystanders out of the way. Stunned by his burst of speed, he stands for a moment when something slams into the ground, causing an explosion. It is Lightray, battered and beaten. Superman arrives, saying that he just came from Vega. He flies up to see what threw Lightray. Lightray grabs Jimmy and says "infinite", then explodes. Superman sees someone escape via Boom Tube in the air, so he flies back to earth to find that Jimmy is OK, but that Lightray is dead. A nice shock...except that THEY ANOUNCED IT ON THE FUCKING COVER!!!!!!

History of the Multiverse, Chapter two

Monitors still look to the well of revelation to see what kind of inter-universal movement happened before the first Crisis.

Basically, the Flashed of Earth 1 and Earth 2 teamed up a few times, then told the Leaguers and Society members about the multi-verse. They teamed up: 7 Leaguers and 9 from the JSA. When the heroes Battled this time, it did not threaten the multiverse, but it set a dangerous precedent. There would be more encounters, and there would be bigger threats...

death Toll so far: 4

Lightray

(Total toll is Duela Dent, guard, thug, Lightray.)

(Total Named characters dead so far: 2. Duela and Lightray)

Ok...I'm having an alergy attack, so I'll keep this short...

Countdown: 47

Bricks in the Wall

Writer: Paul Dini, with Sean McKeever

Art by Tom Derenick, Andrew Pepoy, Jack Purcell, and John Stanisci

Jimmy Olsen, glowing, floats infront of the Source Wall. Lightray tells him to open his eyes. He does, and screams as he realizes that he is part of the source wall himself. He jerks up and realizes that he is in bed, dreaming, and he wonders what's happening to him.

Meanwhile, Holly Robinson is at a bus station. She sees that she is on the front page of the Gotham Gazzette: "Cop Killer Still at Large!" She puts on her sunglasses. A man offers her a job and a place to stay (wink wink), so she attacks him. She pulls out her cell phone to call Karon, then throws the phone on the ground and says that she's on her own, with "a fresh start".

Meanwhile...Mary Marvel tells Black Adam that she was not looking for him, and that she's not asking for anything. He yells at her, then says that their meeting was not a coincidence. He grabs her by the throat.

In the Monitor HQ, The Monitors debate over what they should do. The killer Monitorsays that Donna Troy, Jason Todd, and Kyle Rayner are anomolies, and things will go bad if something isn't done immediately. He says they should start killing. Most of the Monitors agree, to the suprise of one of the debating Monitors.

And now...the Rogues. They are having a party with hookers, but Peid Piper steps outside, as he is not interested. Trickster talks to him, saying that he joined up because the Rogues are essentially "harmless".

Back to the Marvels. Black Adam, still holding Mary, says "SHAZAM." Rubbel falls on Teth-Adam, but BLACK MARY MARVEL pulls it off of him. Adam says that the power was a burden, so he gave her all of it. He says to her, "If you see your brother...tell him I'm "sorry.

Meanwhile, in Washington DC...the AMAZONS ATTACK!!!!!!

History of the Multiverse, Chapter three

Monitors still look to the well of revelation to see what kind of inter-universal movement happened before the first Crisis.

Basically, when the Earth Three Crime Syndicate, the JSA and JLA learned that things can be different on other Earths. Then, when Thunderbolt was sent back in time to stop the JLA from getting powers, the JSA time traveled and stopped them. This could have whiped out the multiverse if they had failed. Later, the Anti-Matter man made the JSA and JLA switch places. Somehow, the Specter needed the Atom in order to survive the explosion that occured when he bridged the two worlds to right this. The Heroes thought this would be their worst crisis, but they were wrong...

death Toll so far: 4

None this issue.

(Total toll is Duela Dent, guard, thug, Lightray.)

(Total Named characters dead so far: 2. Duela and Lightray)

EDITED to reflect Adams actual words to Mary.

Just wait until you read this week's issue (or, more sensibly, just don't bother). Six weeks. That's how long it took DC to comprehensively fuck up the end of 52. Less than two months.

I just read Countdown #47, and I'm done. It's not even worth e-stealing. While my general interest in the corporate direction of the DCU as a whole is hovering somewhere barely above 'zero', I happen to be reading three of the titles this week's issue was supposedly tying into (Catwoman, for which I pay actual cash money because it's rather good, and Wonder Woman/Amazons Attack, which I'm downloading because they're hilariously bad), and I'm still (a) confused and (b) terribly, terribly bored by it. Total crap.

If the numbers tank, like I think they are going to. Would they dare cancel before its done Counting Down to the next Crisis?

Just read the first four issues of this, and I have to agree with the consensus. Nice art, though.

(The Joker's daughter, whoever the hell she was, seemed an interesting character and it was a pity to see her get stiffed so quickly. I'd much sooner see DC thin out the number of heroes and introduce more villains. The bad guys always seem outnumbered and outgunned in the DCU, so more are needed not less.)

Back to the Marvels. Black Adam, still holding Mary, says "SHAZAM." Rubble falls on Teth-Adam, but BLACK MARY MARVEL pulls it off of him. Adam says that the power was a burden, so he gave her all of it. He asks her to tell Captain Marvel that he is sorry.

If this scene was meant to be read the way lots of people are interpreting it (ie. "I'm sorry" being the key phrase Captain Marvel had replaced Black Adam's magical 'password' with), then they really did fuck that scene up. Not only is it a bit of a stupid idea, but the actual line Teth-Adam uses doesn't convey it very well at all. What he says is "If you see your brother...tell him I'm "sorry"" - which, from Mary's reaction, is supposed to be something terribly significant. Surely "...tell him I said "sorry"" would have worked far better?

I can understand about Red Hood and Donna Troy being anomalous but what's the deal with Kyle Rayner too?

I'm wondering this too but really I'm only reading this for Jason Todd. (I hate my Robin obsession sometimes)

Oh come on, "I'm Sorry" has to be an incredibly lame new password for him.

Back to the Marvels. Black Adam, still holding Mary, says "SHAZAM." Rubble falls on Teth-Adam, but BLACK MARY MARVEL pulls it off of him. Adam says that the power was a burden, so he gave her all of it. He asks her to tell Captain Marvel that he is sorry.

If this scene was meant to be read the way lots of people are interpreting it (ie. "I'm sorry" being the key phrase Captain Marvel had replaced Black Adam's magical 'password' with), then they really did fuck that scene up. Not only is it a bit of a stupid idea, but the actual line Teth-Adam uses doesn't convey it very well at all. What he says is "If you see your brother...tell him I'm "sorry"" - which, from Mary's reaction, is supposed to be something terribly significant. Surely "...tell him I said "sorry"" would have worked far better?

I just edited the original post to reflect this...(this is the problem with me reading most DC titles in Trade...i haven't gotten around to 52 yet, so I'm reading Countdown without its context in the DCU today...

i haven't gotten around to 52 yet, so I'm reading Countdown without its context in the DCU today...

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much. Even with the context, quite a lot of Countdown to date has made very little sense (plus, to get the full context you'd have to be buying one hell of a lot of DC books - I don't read The Flash, Justice League of America or JSA, for example, and the Countdown plot strands which (apparently) relate to events in those titles consequently make very little sense to me.

It's possible that this is intentional - creating a range of mysteries which get explained later in the series - but if so, it's backfiring badly, judging from the number of people who seem to be dropping the book because it's totally failed to grab their attention.

i haven't gotten around to 52 yet, so I'm reading Countdown without its context in the DCU today...

, judging from the number of people who seem to be dropping the book because it's totally failed to grab their attention.

Actually, this is kind of why I am posting the synopsis..if anyone doesn't want to be bothered to read the book, ut wants to know roughly what happened, they can drop the boook.

Countdown: 46

Weapon of War

Writer: Paul Dini, with Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray

Art by Jesus Saiz and Jimmy Palmiotti

Jimmy Olsen, is musing about the fact that the AMAZONS ATTACK!ed Washington DC, and that Lois should be worried about Clark. She's not, because the JL is there. Then, they briefly discuss Jimmy's dream (see last issue). Jimmy thinks the dream was real and meant something, and Lois feels that his dream was just pent up emotions brought on by his closeness to the New Gods (he was among the first people on earth to see them. Suddenly...someone hnds Jimmy a letter! He says he has to leave and almost forgets his camera.

Meanwhile, Black Mary Marvel is flying above Gotham city. She notes that she feels extremely powerful, and can sense the clouds scraping against each other and ten thousand thunderstorms between Gotham and Beijing. She has not only the Marvel powers, but also the power of Isis. She stumbles on five pregnant women in a pentagram around a floating rock "singing Echo and the Bunnymen's Killing Moon." The women explode and become Pharyngula, harvester of still-born souls. He is made of demonic dead babies and, apparently, Garth Ennis's sense of taste. He says that he will "DEVOUR [MARY'S] FLESH AND SUCK THE DIGESTED WASTE FROM [HER] INTESTINES." I kid you not.

Back to Jimmy...He is in the bad end of Gotham, going to 666 Suicide Slum. Holly Robinson ushers him through the door to talk to Sleeze, former servant, aide, and counsel to Darkseid. Jimmy says that he will never forget what Sleeze did to him and Lois at Happyland Amusement Park. He also says "I thought Toyman killed you." Sleeze reports that he stayed alive by sheer force of will to get revenge on Darkseid, Jimmy sayd that the note Sleeze sent him said that Sleeze had something to tell him about Lightray. Sleeze says, "Darkseid can finally be destroyed if you...OH NO! He's Here!" The roof colapses, and as Jimmy asks if it is Darkseid, Sleeze says, "No...run away...do it now!" Outside, Holly pushed an old man out of the way of falling rubble. Inside, a voice says, "Hello, Sleeze." Energy comes from above and blows a hole in his chest. The voice announces, "SO BEGINS THE END." Jimmy wonders, "what the hell is going on here?!"

Meanwhile, Mary is throwing cars at Pharyngula, and musing that "That felt Great!" She then grabs the demon and prepares to punch him. The Demon says that "all creatures eat, and I'm starving!" to which Mary replies,, "Sorry, Devil Day Care. You may have mouths to feed, but you are stuffing them with human flesh." Just then, Lightning strikes, knocking the demon out (or killing it?) and making Mary, aparently disappear, as a cop says, "wasn't that Mary Marvel?" (I only include the dialogue to show that she said "sorry" before the lightning strike).

Finally, Donna Troy and Jason Todd are in Washington, looking at the aftermath of the AMAZONS ATTACK!ing. Jason tells Donna that a Monitor killed Duela, but Donna says that the Monitor is a force of good, and that it must have been the Anti-Monitor. Todd says that it was definately a Monitor, but maybe not the one that she knew. Todd figures that he and Donna are being targeted because they aren't supposed to be here. Just then, in space, The Monitors release The Forerunner, "our sword, the weapon required should the need arise. The Forerunner appears as a blur, crashing into Donna and knocking her out. Then, it beats the shit out of Jason, breaking his mask off of him. It then stops moving, and we shee that she is some leather-clad blue elf chick. She says "Humans are such fragile creatures."

History of the Multiverse, Chapter four

Basically, Man's responsibility increased once he knew about the multiverse. They saw that the older heroes could inspire their younger earth 2 counterparts to new heights, and they saw how different life forms could evolve (of course, very dangerous to Kansas public schools!!-jay) and the use of knowledge from one earth to beat the enemies of another. Then came Red Tornado.He turned against his creator to be a force for good, but he could be manipulated easily, and became a cosmic magnet, drawing the Earths closer. The Spectre saved the multiverse again.

Also, the Black Canary, after losing her husband to the same enemy that caused Superman 1 and 2 to meet and fight, moved from one earth to another permanently, causing imbalance.

During this time, new partnerships were formed, such as the Seven Soldiers of Victory and The Freedom Fighters of Earth X (the Nazi-controlled Earth)

The Monitor says, "With so many powers directed toward mankind's benefit, one would think the Multiverse a safe place. How tragic that the opposite would eventually be proven true."

Death Toll so far: 10 (11?) (Not counting the dead babies!)

Five pregnant cultists, Sleeze, and possibly Pharyngula this issue.

(Total toll is Duela Dent, guard, thug, Lightray, Five pregnant cultists, Sleeze, and possibly Pharyngula.)

(Total Named characters dead so far: 3 or 4. Duela, Lightray, Sleeze, and possibly Pharyngula.)

I can just say that this is the best way to read a comic book ever. I get to know whats going on in a book i'm mildly interested in, and not have to shell out $3 for it.

Named characters dead so far ... Sleeze

Hurray! Take that, Worst Idea John Byrne Ever Had!

By the way, Jay, if you can summon up the energy, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of each issue, along with the plot summary. I've been surprised by how few people online are discussing Countdown in any real detail (away from the DC Message Boards, which I'm not going anywhere near - wretched hive of scum and wossname, they are), particularly in light of the numerous blogs, some of them rather good, which sprang up to provide a similar service for 52 last year.