James

Hellblazer 203 Preview

I'm definitely think it's the Demon Constantine now. He is after all Negral's blood. I don't know how the rules of Hell work but would I assume the Demon Constantine might be more powerful or less than Rosecarins?

Spoilery

He definitely has some juice to keep Chas alive through that. And the kids are right, who would dare? Curiouser and curiouser....

I wonder how powerful Demon Constantine is now? Think he could handle the kids?

Those creepy little fuckers.

(Kudos to Mike for crafting some rogues I actually loathe. I don't get that enough in books anymore.)

John's demonic self seems like a good pick, but I'm feeling like there's more to it than just that.

Donnie raises an interesting question:

Comic books have long been about a protagonist facing a villain. Not always, but there are very, very few books in the comic industry which don't use this as a plot.

Now, do you enjoy seeing villains who you just plain hate? Or, do you enjoy those villains you love to hate (or even love)?

I've usually always liked cool or interesting villains who I like or can relate to. For example, Sauron of the X-Men was always a very interesting character, as he's just unique. Magneto and Mad Hatter are two villains who I love because I can relate to them.

Then, there's people like John's demonic "kids", who you just loath.

Of course in "Hellblazer", it's impossible to make any characters I am going to relate to or like better than our John!

Which type of villain would you rather see in "Hellblazer"?

would Demon Constantine ask John for his name and last name? that bit sounded somewhat strange... and i didn't like that "we are the children of Nergal" poncy bit of speech from John's daughter... everything else is bloody good.

would Demon Constantine ask John for his name and last name? that bit sounded somewhat strange...

I think that Chas is supposed to be alive at that point, and just coming out of unconsciousness.

yeah, but you know, why'd he go "John?" nad then "John Constantine?"

or is it one of those motherly reproachful "John COnstantine, come back right this minute! Did you do your homework?" kind of things?

Well I assumed that since Chas hasn't seen John since the incident at the hotel with the serial killer he was surprised to see John right after a truck fell on his shack. But then he quickly realized that something bad had happened to him so he then wasn't so surprisedto see his "friend".

or is it one of those motherly reproachful "John COnstantine, come back right this minute! Did you do your homework?" kind of things?

That's how I read it, though Andy's makes more sense.

Must admit, it struck me the same way as it apparently did James. The 'Fwoom' writing didn't actually strike me as particularly over the top, but the 'Chaas!' did, actually. Still, very promising stuff. Loved that shot of John running at the top of page 2.

Now, do you enjoy seeing villains who you just plain hate? Or, do you enjoy those villains you love to hate (or even love)?

Which type of villain would you rather see in "Hellblazer"?

I don't mind either, really, but I'd like to feel strongly about the villain types one way or the other. That's what I'm digging about these kids; I hate the three of them horribly, especially with the most recent events, and I can't wait to see them get what's coming to them.

That would probably be my biggest complaint about the past couple of years of Hellblazer: a lack of notable villains. Sure, there was the bit with Josh Wright awhile back, and Ghant is alright. And that's it, really. The Beast, the most prominent antagonist of Carey's run thusfar I'd say, had more of a "Galactus feel" to it. And by that, I mean it was less a villain fucking things up for the sake of sheer villainy and more a widescale cosmic-type force just fucking things up because that's it's nature. It's hard to say "Oooh, that son of a bitch!" to something akin to a force of nature. Maybe it's that there seemed to be a lack of evil intent, no maniacal cackling in the gothic castle on a stormy night, so to speak.

That's a weird little thing from me, I'll admit, and it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Still, that's why this most recent stuff and new lot of baddies has me excited. It's not random supernatural happenstance that John's caught up in; this is all wicked shit with the sole aim of torturing him mercilessly.

(Or, if I wanted to do my impression of the "Constantine" PR department ... THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL :lol:)

I never saw John as having a adversarial relationship with anyone like Batman has with the Joker. I think of John Constantine more raging against the world as a whole rather than any one demon.

Looks like they're going to botch the cover printing again - back-to-back 'too dark' jobs, someone needs a kicking.

Sound effects in comics are a tricky thing to pull-off - FWOOM lends some weight to the arguments put forward by Ellis and others that they shouldn't be used at all, but then you look at the last issue of Ocean which had a scene that relied on sound effects for clarity, but didn't use any! Anyway, in this case, the explosion would've sufficied on its loneseome.

I don't know if it's a deliberate choice on Manco's part but I like the weight he's added to Constantine - makes him look like the aul fella he is!

I got the impression that Chas was, naturally, disorientated after the explosion, hence the confused "John ? John Constantine ?" line.

also - nice to see that the scar is firmly in place on the right cheek... :D

and John looks a bit more like Frusin's thin Conjob in the bottom two panels. me likey!

hellblz203p3.gif

Chas looks like chas. But John is older in one pic and younger in the next. WTf? Demon Constantine?

John's children are having fun and is panicking the plot device that will destroy them eventually?

Chas looks like chas. But John is older in one pic and younger in  the next. WTf? Demon Constantine?

John's children are having fun and is panicking the plot device that will destroy them eventually?

Yeah I noticed that too.

If u look at some pages in #200 In one "lifetime" STEVE DILLONs one he has a paunch of fat in the beggining and losses it towards the end?

Hey Ahkira.