Sign in to follow this  
Tony B.

I think this is very bad news

My experience of The Spirit is limited to Darwyn Cooke's awesome revival but the following highlighted bits all seem terribly wrong to me:

"Adapated from the legendary Will Eisner¹s graphic novels, The Spirit tells the visceral, action-packed story of a man who fakes his own death and fights crime from the shadows of Central City. The Octopus -- who kills anyone unfortunate enough to see his face -- has a different mission: he's going to wipe out the entire city. The Spirit tracks this cold-hearted killer from Central City¹s rundown warehouses, to the damp catacombs, to the windswept waterfront ... all the while facing a bevy of beautiful women who either want to seduce, love or kill our masked crusader. In the vein of Batman Begins and Sin City, The Spirit takes us on a sinister, gut-wrenching ride of a hero who is born, murdered and born again."

With an additional raised eyebrow at the "bevy of beautiful women", because I know how Miller writes women and I'm not sure that's quite right for The Spirit.

Here's the obvious question; Since when was Miller a director?

I mean he stuck by Rodriquez while they shot Sin City, presumebly he's picked up a few things, but I can't imagine he learned enough during a three week shoot.

I have the same concerns that James does. Miller's ultra-machoism is outdated, and seems misplaced when applied to The Spirit*.

*For the record, Eisner's The Spirit had its share of buxom temptresses, but it certainly didn't have a late 80's/early 90's OTT style of violence and language.

Oh, the temptresses I have no problem with. It's Miller's apparent belief that it's impossible to have a woman who's not a hooker or a psychopath that worries me.

(Okay, so there was the lesbian lawyer in Sin City, but other than that...?)

By the way, has anyone read the new Spirit series? It's featured some gruesome (though not graphic) deaths that rather surprised me. Was Eisner's ever like that?

Here's the obvious question; Since when was Miller a director?

I mean he stuck by Rodriquez while they shot Sin City, presumebly he's picked up a few things, but I can't imagine he learned enough during a three week shoot.

I'm pretty certain that he actually did do some directorial work on Sin City. I don't know how much though.

Actually, that was I understand it, Rodriguez gave him the co-director credit because the visual style was purely Miller. he did some directorial work, but more in an advisory role, I think.

In any event, Miller was capable to co-direct Sin City because it was his, I'm not sure how he'll handle a solo gig directing someone else's work.

Well it's not like he's a novice in Hollywood, he's been in and around movies for something like 20 years.

Yeah wasn't he involved in Robocop 2? ya know the one that won all the awards at Cannes.

Man I would have loved to see David fincher direct this,granted I want Fincher to do every movie in hollywood.

Harlan Ellison is writing an angry letter to Comics Journal even as we speak...

Oh, the temptresses I have no problem with. It's Miller's apparent belief that it's impossible to have a woman who's not a hooker or a psychopath that worries me.

(Okay, so there was the lesbian lawyer in Sin City, but other than that...?)

A woman in a Frank Miller book who'd rather be a lawyer than a hooker? Obviously a psychopath.

I'm not opposed to bringing the SPirit to the big screen. Not too worried about Frank Miller at the helm either. But the above poster (hope it's not real) sucks because it looks like Sin City 2 and not The Spirit.

I'm not opposed to bringing the SPirit to the big screen. Not too worried about Frank Miller at the helm either. But the above poster (hope it's not real) sucks because it looks like Sin City 2 and not The Spirit.

That was my first thought. Someone thinks they are being clever by attatching it that way, but I think it's probably a mistake.

It's real, sadly. Here's another one.

Also, the tagline is all shades of pretentious.

That looks like absolute shit. It's not that I don't like Frank Miller and Sin City, I really do. It's just that it is not the Spirit.

Hm, so they are going for the digital backlot. What about the black and white with splashes of color rumor, any truth to that?

Those posters all look bad. I get the feeling that Ellen will be a reformed prostitute or a "gun totting, bad ass babe"

Did I miss something? Since when did Frank Miller become the "torch bearer" of the Spirit? Much of Miller's Sin City stuff is like classic Eisner Spirit cranked up to the extreme and twisted. Not a slam on Sin City, but not close enough to the Spirit to qualify him to do a movie.

I think instead of a movie, there should be an animated series (or series of movies) in a style similiar to Batman: The Animated Series.

Did I miss something? Since when did Frank Miller become the "torch bearer" of the Spirit?

In Miller's defence, he and Eisner became good friends during the final years of the latter's life, and Eisner publicly stated that, if and/or when they finally got round to making a movie of The Spirit, he wanted Miller to be involved in it.

That said, I share all the reservations which have already been expressed in this thread.

1. According to a recent interview with Jalba (I think it's in this month's Empire), Miller was responsible for working with the actors on Sin City and Rodrigues was responsible for the techy stuff. This explains a great deal about so many of Sin City's flaws.

2. David Fincher for The Spirit? I like Fincher's work (even if it is for the goths) but I think The Spirit should be handled by someone with a sense of fun. Like Barry Sonenfeld before he went shit.

I think Sam Raimi could do something special.

How about Bruce Campbell in the lead? That jaw is made for a superhero.

Bryce Dallas Howard as Ellen?

1. According to a recent interview with Jalba (I think it's in this month's Empire), Miller was responsible for working with the actors on Sin City and Rodrigues was responsible for the techy stuff. This explains a great deal about so many of Sin City's flaws.

That does explain a few things.

Wait, did you think the flaws were in the perfomances or the cinematography?